MK6 R tuning options - local vs international

Started by KingGumboot, November 19, 2019, 04:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingGumboot

Howdy, new user here so hopefully I'm not doing anything wrong. I'll be getting a MK6 Golf R in the next couple of months, and after test driving one I'll definitely be wanting to up the power. Thinking intake, downpipe or full exhaust, and supporting stage 2 tune - maybe an upgraded intercooler if necessary, from what I've seen some tuners recommend it and others don't. Not sure if a DSG tune is something that's necessary or usually included.

Anyway, just wondering what people's thoughts are on using tried-and-true international brands such as APR or Unitec through one of their dealers, vs going to local places with their own products/tunes such as NZPT, Torque Performance or whoever else comes up on Google. I'm in Wellington so if there are any recommended shops down here I'd love to hear about them, having to go up to Auckland is a bit of a pain. Price isn't too much of a concern, obviously I want the best product not the cheapest here.

The Red Warrior

Get in touch with Hennie (GLIDN) on this forum. He?s a Unitronic dealer. He is in Auckland but comes down to Wellington every so often. Failing that, he can also send you the hardware and then help you do it remotely. Another user here in Invercargill got his Pirelli GTI done that way.

80 Vert

Revo dealer is in Wellington and an awesome guy.
Superior Tuning, can't rate them highly enough.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

HaNs

Alittletuningco

Other option is to do flash at home such as Unitronic or Integrated Engineering.

Intercooler isn't required on the Golf R to start unless you find you are doing heavy track days and suffer heatsoak.

For an R at stage2 (or stage2+) you should consider; Intake, HPFP internals, ECU and TCU tune, downpipe. Exhausts are for sound vs performance, the main point of backvpressure in the system is the downpipe with the cat, as it's a 1000 cell count unit.

Check out us for Integrated Engineering offerings (www.alittletuningco.nz) - Black Friday starts on the 27th with 10% off intakes and downpipes, and 15% off the IE flash at home tuning offerings.

GLIDN

thanks for the recommendation Red warrior.

KingGumboot - yes I have tuned plenty 6r's and Audi S3 down in wellington. Also re-tuning from others too.
So I can get you in touch with my customers, if you would like to get in touch? send me an email on the email icon under the post name, cheers

As a few have mentioned, there are a few other great options available to be used as well.
it's really your choice what you'd like to do...

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

KingGumboot

Thanks for the responses everyone. Great to know I've got plenty of good options and a support network of owners/tuners. Once I do have the car (hoping for early January but pending the sale of my current car) I'll get in touch with GLIDN and others mentioned, cheers

thomas.dq

I have heard good things about Xtremetuning.

My friend had both his Golf R and GTI tuned with them.

https://xtremetuning.co.nz/
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

slowmo

We have a S3 (same same R) with stage 2 e-tuners done by GLIDN in Welly and a mate with a Stage 2 6R also done by GLIDN if you want to try before you buy.

Even stage 1 is a decent upgrade and really transforms the car.

PM me if you want to chat

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

GLIDN

Quote from: KingGumboot on November 22, 2019, 11:44:59 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Great to know I've got plenty of good options and a support network of owners/tuners. Once I do have the car (hoping for early January but pending the sale of my current car) I'll get in touch with GLIDN and others mentioned, cheers

Thanks in case you're interested? I'm listing my golf R for sale later this week, once I have my OEM wheels back on and new photos taken.
So it could possible be something you're looking for? NZ new 2010, white, leather, sunroof, DSG and a huge list of maintenance. Only traveled 93,000kms.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning