Mk5 GTI Suspension Upgrades

Started by avi.m, December 01, 2019, 12:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avi.m

Hi members,

So my Mk5 GTI Pirelli will be going stage 2, and just wanted to know of items that will assist with improving traction off the line? Currently on H&R sport springs, will be getting some decent tires (PS4), and looking at an anti-lift kit. I don't track the car, just a daily driver with the occasional spirited run. I do feel a bit of rear "lift" when cornering, I say lift because it feels like the rear wants to lift. This was a lot more pronounced before the H&R's. I've also read that aftermarket mounts help with getting the power down by reducing wheel hop.

Appreciate all feedback.

Cheers!

Avi
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

schattenblau

forget the alk, go for a mechanical lsd !

:D

avi.m

Quote from: schattenblau on December 01, 2019, 10:56:07 PM
forget the alk, go for a mechanical lsd !

:D

Don't temp me! ;D Seriously though, you are 100% correct, it's the way to go. But it's out of my budget: https://www.alittletuningco.nz/products/alt-wav-10-309-185wk?_pos=98&_sid=9af5b45a8&_ss=r

Back to the alk. I've heard that some other bushings (can't remember exactly which ones) should be upgraded at the same time due to increased load as a result of the alk. This kit looks interesting: https://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=WEK004&sq=55079
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Alittletuningco

Engine mounts, and a sway bar upgrade will help.

Couple of Octavia's that have had the IS38 upgrade on the MQB, have also reported good results with upgraded strut mounts and bearings.

McDoof

I did ALK, dogbone mount insert and a set of PS4 tyres on my Stage 1 MK5. (yes I know it's a lot less power) That made a world of difference. I got a whopping 18k km out of my bridgstone RE002s before these changes. When I sold my car the Michellins were at 30k and still had enough meat left for another 10 to 15k. That is just a reflection on how much less time I spent spinning wheels rather than moving forwards.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

The Red Warrior

Quote from: McDoof on December 02, 2019, 09:41:35 AM
I did ALK, dogbone mount insert and a set of PS4 tyres on my Stage 1 MK5. (yes I know it's a lot less power) That made a world of difference. I got a whopping 18k km out of my bridgstone RE002s before these changes. When I sold my car the Michellins were at 30k and still had enough meat left for another 10 to 15k. That is just a reflection on how much less time I spent spinning wheels rather than moving forwards.

Yes indeed. I have all the above, but I'm stage 2+ and hardly ever get wheelspin. But I do have an LSD.

avi.m

Thanks guys. So alk and dogbone mount insert will do the trick?

The Red Warrior, no biggy, just an LSD hey ;D If I thought about going stage 2 earlier, which I should have, then an LSD would make the list. But car mileage is up there and budget doesn't allow for an LSD.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

Brett

Quote from: avimistry on December 03, 2019, 12:51:23 AM

The Red Warrior, no biggy, just an LSD hey ;D If I thought about going stage 2 earlier, which I should have, then an LSD would make the list. But car mileage is up there and budget doesn't allow for an LSD.
Hi Avi,
Just fitted both of these to the ED30 and going for an alignment this weekend hopefully. Will report back with the difference.
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

avi.m

Quote from: Brett on December 03, 2019, 09:31:06 AM
Hi Avi,
Just fitted both of these to the ED30 and going for an alignment this weekend hopefully. Will report back with the difference.

Ok,cool. Look forward to your feedback. Did you purchase local?
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

The Red Warrior

Quote from: avimistry on December 03, 2019, 12:51:23 AM

Yeah, even though an LSD isn?t exactly cheap, it wasn?t that much more when I was replacing the clutch. I did all the work myself so that cut down on costs considerably.

I haven?t seen your car in a while now. Used to often see it parked at the Ormiston Rd Pak n Save

avi.m

Quote from: The Red Warrior on December 03, 2019, 08:22:35 PM
Yeah, even though an LSD isn?t exactly cheap, it wasn?t that much more when I was replacing the clutch. I did all the work myself so that cut down on costs considerably.

I haven?t seen your car in a while now. Used to often see it parked at the Ormiston Rd Pak n Save

That makes absolute sense, clutch and lsd at one go. What?s the mileage on yours now?

Haha, still go there, but aim to do shopping late evening when it is quieter. I?m impatient like that.
Mk5 GTI Pirelli Ed.

GLIDN

honestly anti lift kit is an absolutely worthwhile mod. FWD or AWD 6R etc.
got one in my tiguan as well. Awesome improvement indeed.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

The Red Warrior

Quote from: avimistry on December 04, 2019, 12:48:19 PM
That makes absolute sense, clutch and lsd at one go. What?s the mileage on yours now?

Haha, still go there, but aim to do shopping late evening when it is quieter. I?m impatient like that.

Sounds like me, get there at 9pm on a Sunday to do the shopping that I?ve had all weekend to do.

Mine?s at 186k now. Think I replaced the clutch at about 160k. Not sure if I posted up here with the photos of doing it, or if I only posted it on mk5golfgti.co.uk

GLIDN

Quote from: The Red Warrior on December 04, 2019, 06:29:59 PM
Sounds like me, get there at 9pm on a Sunday to do the shopping that I?ve had all weekend to do.

Mine?s at 186k now. Think I replaced the clutch at about 160k. Not sure if I posted up here with the photos of doing it, or if I only posted it on mk5golfgti.co.uk

pretty sure you only posted on mk5 UK forum.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning