Saving A Full Spec 3 Door VR6

Started by LouieP, December 19, 2019, 11:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouieP

I've always wanted one of these and I even expressed that in my previous MK4 thread. I never finished my MK4 thread but the car was slammed on KW coilovers, I drove around with it until I was stopped at a RBT checkpoint and was questioned about what the car was lowered on. They had a quick look under and confirmed it was coilovers. I had no cert but the officer was nice enough to not sticker me. She told me to get it certed or remove it and sent me on my way. I never removed it neither did I cert it. I was on the edge of getting rid of the car anyway but paranoia was kicking in so the car was put back to stock and sold off. I was happy that I sold it for more than i paid for it 4 years earlier. I replaced it with a MK7 GTI which will hopefully be hybrid turbo'd by the end of 2020. Stay tuned  :police:
http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,42023.0.html

Back onto this - I had lost interest in finding my dream spec VR as frankly it had been 5 years since I pulled the plug on the search. I was under the impression that they did not exist anymore. The ones that did come up for sale were ex-enthusiast cars (tidy, expensive and modified which I did not want). This came up however and it would have been rude for me to not snatch it up. I believe this may be the last full spec original 3 Door VR6 left and also the last that was sold in New Zealand in 1996. It all started when I took my morning 10 minute break at work when this came up for sale on VASK fb page. I immediately sent Qualitat a message and we exchanged a few messages before things went quiet. I then got a response that this car was now sold. Bugger! A few days went by and Ryan from Qualitat contacted me to say that the buyer had pulled out.I shot over first thing in morning, checked it out and took it for a spin. I was surprised at how original the car was with all the OG Blaupunkt gear in it, it had belonged to an older couple for the last 15 years or so. I've also never been in a VR6 so quiet LOL. I made Vahn an offer and did an immediate bank transfer, I came back later that night and fetched it as I still had to get to work, whoops.

I dont have big plans for this but as the title says, I will be giving it a second shot at life and it will be back up for sale after I tidy it up. The theme is OEM+ but i will de-cone the airbox and possibly build a 2.5" catless Borla exhaust for that noise  >:D

1996 NZ New Volkswagen VR6 3 Door - Sold originally by Giltrap w/full dealer service history until 2013
Heated Leather, Sunroof, Manual
235,xxxkm

She needs some love but nothing I can't sort out over the upcoming Summer. Some key things wrong with her are:

- Drivers side window not working
- Cosmetic marks and scratches for a vehicle of its age. I will 2 stage machine polish her and ceramic coat later down the road
- Slight chain rattle although i think this is early stages as it is very minimal

Photos below of how I got her

Rare tape box

Thanks for reading
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

rambo_005

Nice one! It's very likely to be one of the last few sold in NZ. Agree that there's not many good ones left, most were ruined by youngsters as their values dropped.

My mate has a super tidy NZ new red 3 door manual with leather and sunroof. Currently stored. He's been working away at tidying it up over a long period of time; engine rebuilt and repainted. Only mods are a custom exhaust, H&R cup suspension and OZ Ultraleggera wheels, but have the original 15" wheels still.

Love the VR6

redvr6

I have a 95 NZ new 3 door in Red. Completely standard apart from radio. I'm in the process of tidying it up - possibly looking for a leather interior as cloth trim looking very tired now. I hope the project goes well.
Deep Blue Pearl Mk5 R32
<sold>Tornado Red Mk3 VR6</sold>

Poonmobile

Good work, i went and had a look, and it was too much of a project for me. So i hope you can give it a new lease of life! It definitely deserves it, and too many have been butchered and 'riced' over the years so it will be amazing once you are done with it 8)
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

LouieP

Quote from: rambo_005 on December 20, 2019, 12:09:22 AM
Nice one! It's very likely to be one of the last few sold in NZ. Agree that there's not many good ones left, most were ruined by youngsters as their values dropped.

My mate has a super tidy NZ new red 3 door manual with leather and sunroof. Currently stored. He's been working away at tidying it up over a long period of time; engine rebuilt and repainted. Only mods are a custom exhaust, H&R cup suspension and OZ Ultraleggera wheels, but have the original 15" wheels still.

Love the VR6

Thanks mate! Agreed, majority of the golfs are being ruined by youngsters because of the low prices especially the mk5. I did not want that to happen to this one too.

Nice! I'd like to hear more about this custom exhaust. Do you have any pics? Maybe we should get a '3 Door Appreciation Thread' going for all the platforms on here

LouieP

Quote from: redvr6 on December 20, 2019, 07:11:31 AM
I have a 95 NZ new 3 door in Red. Completely standard apart from radio. I'm in the process of tidying it up - possibly looking for a leather interior as cloth trim looking very tired now. I hope the project goes well.
Nice! Get some pictures up. IMO, I would look into the GTI recaros which are comfy as heck and also look nicer. The 5 door version folds forward too so they are perfect  :D

LouieP

Quote from: Poonmobile on December 20, 2019, 08:43:48 AM
Good work, i went and had a look, and it was too much of a project for me. So i hope you can give it a new lease of life! It definitely deserves it, and too many have been butchered and 'riced' over the years so it will be amazing once you are done with it 8)
Cheers, I thought the same too (too much work) but then i realised that is how these end up being stripped for parts or at Zebra. Someone has to bite the bullet right

redvr6

Quote from: LouieP on December 20, 2019, 11:11:20 AM
Nice! Get some pictures up. IMO, I would look into the GTI recaros which are comfy as heck and also look nicer. The 5 door version folds forward too so they are perfect  :D

Here's one - will post more later once I've put the side skirts on.
IMG_3428 by
Deep Blue Pearl Mk5 R32

LouieP

Quote from: redvr6 on December 21, 2019, 08:18:42 AM
Here's one - will post more later once I've put the side skirts on.
IMG_3428 by
Good buy! I remember seeing this for sale on vask fb a while ago

redvr6

Yeah, still got. Can't  bring myself to get rid of it.
Deep Blue Pearl Mk5 R32

LouieP

I've been a bit busy recently but managed to get something done. It was time to de-cone the airbox  >:D. I opened up the airbox to find a lot of dirt and...dead bees, infact these bees were all over the car!

The filter looked nasty and was filled with leaves, dirt and yup you guessed it more bees. I did not have a new filter on hand but did blow this one out. Will order a performance panel filter from the UK in the new year

After much struggle the cone came out

Whilst the airbox was out, it made sense to give the MAF a clean with some MAF cleaner. I used the stuff below and it really helped smooth the idle especially between gear changes. I did the same on my MK4 and there was a noticeable difference with the way the car drove. No additional hp though. Will tackle the throttle body once i get a gasket.

Before

After (Looks the same tbh but check the container out)

Cleaned the airbox out and put everything back together. The internet tells me that the ducting pipe that goes into the airbox is pointless and that it should be removed. Is this correct? It doesn't help that photobucket did the dirty and now the older DIY threads on the vortex are picture-less

80 Vert

Nice work, good to see it being saved as you just don't see them anymore.
I've still got a new performance filter at work for one of these, cheap to help your project along.
Nice to see on the forum btw.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

the phantom

don't believe everything you read on the internet, that duct will bring cold air to the intake, many mods put the intake in the under bonnet area where temperatures are much higher

this site is a pain to search and navigate, but there's a wealth of practical, tested modification advice, he flow tested a bunch of factory air boxes and filters with a manometer and decided that most factories knew what they were doing

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Building-and-Testing-an-Airbox&A=113248

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

LouieP

Quote from: 80 Vert on December 26, 2019, 08:10:23 AM
Nice work, good to see it being saved as you just don't see them anymore.
I've still got a new performance filter at work for one of these, cheap to help your project along.
Nice to see on the forum btw.
Thanks John, Pm'd reg the filter

LouieP

Quote from: the phantom on December 26, 2019, 08:33:27 AM
don't believe everything you read on the internet, that duct will bring cold air to the intake, many mods put the intake in the under bonnet area where temperatures are much higher

this site is a pain to search and navigate, but there's a wealth of practical, tested modification advice, he flow tested a bunch of factory air boxes and filters with a manometer and decided that most factories knew what they were doing

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&title=Building-and-Testing-an-Airbox&A=113248
Thanks for the website. I agree that the ducting will bring through more cold air through to the airbox but I have not looked at where the ducting is coming from. I will probably remove that ducting and replace it with my own sort of custom version.

LouieP

LouieP

The big clean...

Interior

Just like with all the cars I purchase, it goes through a strict cleaning regime. According to the receipt in the back seat the last time this car was vacuumed was circa 2009. There was dirt and old droppings of food everywhere.

I started off with the boot

Some sort of oily residue inside the spare wheel. Some more dirt and more bees.

The boot was vacuumed and worked with some APC and a detail brush to get into all the nooks and crannies

After:

The spare wheel was washed and the tools were wiped down before they went back in the car

Boot done!

I then moved on to the cabin. Easiest way to work through the inside was to remove all the seats so this was done first.

Who knows what the heck this was! Looks like a piece of the Simpsons donut. It was stuck to the carpet and clinging on for its life

and a note pre-smartphone era :laugh: Sounds serious!

The rear cleaned up and all the plastic trim wiped down. The carpet looked good as new.

Leather seats

I left the seats out in the sun for about half an hour to tighten it up. They were then vacuumed up before the APC was diluted further for the clean

Seats were worked with a detail brush

A bit of a comparison - uncleaned vs cleaned
What a difference !

Door cards were done the same way
before:

after:

How my towel looked after all the plastics were wiped down. Left is how it would looked before I started  :o

I put the car back together and dressed all the trim with Carpro PERL diluted 5:1 for that new car look. I did not get any pictures as yet but i was blown away with how many years the clean took off the interior. Ill whip out my camera for the shots in the near future. I still have to detail the exterior so will get it all done at once.

Till next time

Poonmobile

Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

LouieP

Not a big update but an update nonetheless. I still have not gotten fully stuck into it as yet but the small bits here and there really help things move along

Stopped by Mr Kanters to pick up an air filter and reflector blank

The new blank isn't sitting perfect but ill be removing these anyway for the exterior detail so i'll sort it out then

Also a tidy little Mk3 GL at Zebra Manukau donated its accelerator pedal  :laugh:

I initially bought a throttle body gasket to change while i was here. It looked like someone tried to take it off and rounded off the last scew >:(. I just ended up cleaning it while still attached. If anyone wants a gasket, pm me. selling cheap

Before - wasnt too bad

After - revs are now a lot smoother

There was some soy sauce that spilled on the rear boot mat so i gave it water blast which cleaned up real nice and did the floor mats too.. I've been looking for some second hand replacements but the NZ New cars came with a black more premium look material opposed to the Jap light grey color. I knew i would never find a NOS set so made do with what I had.

It also looks like someone stitched another mat over the drivers mat for some reason. It looked horrible, after closer inspection there was actually nothing wrong underneath. I got the stanley knife out and cut it off.

The interior is almost perfect (for a 24 year old car). Just the headliner left and I would really like to find a MK3.5 cabrio 3 spoke steering wheel. If anyone knows where I can get some 3-4mm foam backed headliner fabric (or a cabrio wheel  ;)) that would be really helpful

Thanks

80 Vert

The best material by far comes from a guy in Wellington but Waikumete upholsterers stock it.
Do NOT use spray can glue, it's useless.
Need to use a proper spray gun to apply the contact glue.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration