Saving A Full Spec 3 Door VR6

Started by LouieP, December 19, 2019, 11:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo_005

LouieP

Will continue this build thread at the end of 2020 when my bank account recoups LOL :'(
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

LouieP

Golfs have gotten so much bigger over the years haven't they. Would love to do a mk1-8 line up. Anyone keen?  :laugh:

LouieP

I am working through the pandemic so will work on this during the weekend and with current lock down there's plenty of time to get stuck into her :laugh:. Unfortunately with this happening so suddenly, I will have to make do with all the parts I have and wait till everything goes back to normal.

My mission currently is to get the car mechanically in tip top shape. I had a new fuel filter on hand which was swapped out. Car looked like it still had the original one from new. What meant to be a 10 minute job turned into an hour, it was a nightmare getting the bracket off.

Old one out

New one in with some new hose clamps

I then started to sort out the codes that have been popping up on VCDS. One was the cam position sensor and the other was the o2 sensor. I first checked the wiring and all looked ok. I then removed the cam sensor to find it was covered in sludge, it was cleaned up and thrown back in. Took the car for a quick blat around the block and the low end hesitation is now gone. I need to get under the car and do the same with the o2 sensor before buying a new one. I forgot to get a photo unfortunately.

The car was also throwing an intermittent code for the front left abs sensor. Took the wheel off to find the wires partially out (it was obviously taped up and someone had been here before). Soldered it up and cleaned the sensor while i was there.

I then started removing all the stickers that were on the car. They were well cooked from the NZ sun so werent looking too nice anyway. One by one i hit them with a heat gun and peeled them off. I am not a sticker guy and wont put any sticker on my car however I had vask sticker made to my taste by one of the guys on facebook which is more subtle. Inside print, metallic silver, smaller and just the rings with no writing. I will throw that on when the car is worthy  >:D

I then went to the engine bay and pulled the vacuum out and blew out/sucked in all the dirt dust sitting the crevices. I will give it a full engine degrease when I detail it. I also need to buy a new coolant bottle so will bang it out all at once then.

I then started cleaning under the arches. One by one i went around the car and tackled them with Chemical Guys orange degreaser and a variety of brushes. Will revisit to paint the calipers oem silver in the future. Arches were then finished off with Chemical guys barebones underbody protectant. This dries to the touch so it should not attract dirt

Waterblasted first to remove all the loose dirt then soaked in degreaser and let sit

Getting in there with a wheel woolies large brush and tire brush

All rinsed and wiped down with a towel

Applied some dressing, let it soak in for a few minutes then excess wiped off with a microfiber towel

Cleaned the rear of the barrel while i was there. Did not go full on with it as these will probably end up being wof wheels only in the future.

Wheel back on and ready to be lowered to the ground. Looks like new doesnt it?

I also then pulled off the side markers to find the tabs on them were both broken and they glued into the fender with some black silicone ???. I will probably just glue them back on as new genuine ones are $$$. I gave them a quick polish with Meguiar's plastx. They came out great and removed the faded layer over the top. Did not get a before

Will now see what I can sort out next weekend. Really regretting not getting the headliner fabric!

80 Vert

Holy moly man, great work. Just fantastic.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

robh

Nice work.

Perhaps ditch the jubilee clips on the fuel pipe when lock down is over and use some proper fuel clips?

This sort of thing: https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/clips-fuel-line-842?page=1&sortby=&minprice=0&maxprice=100&count=50
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

LouieP

Quote from: robh on April 01, 2020, 08:39:53 AM
Nice work.

Perhaps ditch the jubilee clips on the fuel pipe when lock down is over and use some proper fuel clips?

This sort of thing: https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/clips-fuel-line-842?page=1&sortby=&minprice=0&maxprice=100&count=50
Cheers mate, yes that is the plan. I was lucky enough to find those jubilee's in the toolbox. It was going to be cable ties until everything reopened again! ;D

the phantom

I ditched the clear indicator side repeaters on my wagon and replaced them with base spec orange as I reckon the orange is more visible across a range of lighting conditions and I like the look on the black paint
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Ive probably got some good un broken side repeaters, yours free if I can find them.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

LouieP

Quote from: the phantom on April 01, 2020, 11:01:59 AM
I ditched the clear indicator side repeaters on my wagon and replaced them with base spec orange as I reckon the orange is more visible across a range of lighting conditions and I like the look on the black paint
I might run the the smoked look for now but the amber look is also in my mind too with an amber bumper indicator along with some votex shades  8)

LouieP

Quote from: 80 Vert on April 01, 2020, 02:55:00 PM
Ive probably got some good un broken side repeaters, yours free if I can find them.
Thanks John, let me know if you find them and ill fetch them after lockdown

Poonmobile

Good work on getting this far!

I have a set of side indicators in a clear/crystal mk4 R32 style you could have too? I'm pretty sure I still have them somewhere, and will have a hunt.
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

LouieP

Cheers fellas ^

Not much of an update but did manage to make contact with the original owner and previous owner up north who cleared up a few things for me. $76k would have been a lot to drop on a golf back in 96 but i guess something like this in that era would have been a gentleman's hot hatch. I think the base price of a new 3 door VR6 was $67k so $10k worth of options...Nice

A shame about the purchasing order though. It would have been nice to add it to the already massive folder of receipts i put together for it

superfueler

Nice!

My mate Scott (harry's euro) up in Orewa has the exact same 3 door VR6 as yours and that's his baby, he's been hunting for a while to get that car. I'll see if i can get a photo of it. I remember when i still lived in South Africa this was one of my dream cars to own but never got around to it before moving to NZ.

We should do a R32 / VR6 photo shoot one day when your car's finished.  :D
Current: 2010 Audi A4 2.7 TDI silver, 2007 Audi A4 2.0T DTM sprint blue, 2007 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI BKD 4motion manual white.
Past: 2004 Golf R32 black pearlescent, 2009 Audi S3 white, 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T blue, 99 Golf mk4 GTI black, 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T black.

LouieP

Yep, i've seen his one. His one is in immaculate condition, im trying to find some baby fives for this... Is there anyone else apart from saffas that buy these?! lol. I'm from Durban myself haha. I'm down for a shoot

LouieP

Another one from the previous owners husband. It's great to know what i'm working with, it motivates me continue the build on this

the phantom

Quote from: LouieP on April 21, 2020, 10:09:54 AM
Cheers fellas ^

Not much of an update but did manage to make contact with the original owner and previous owner up north who cleared up a few things for me. $76k would have been a lot to drop on a golf back in 96 but i guess something like this in that era would have been a gentleman's hot hatch. I think the base price of a new 3 door VR6 was $67k so $10k worth of options...Nice

A shame about the purchasing order though. It would have been nice to add it to the already massive folder of receipts i put together for it

I bought my VR6, a 5-dr auto http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,4250.0.html from the daughter of the original owner, as recent asian arrivals, they had bought a top spec Merc for Dad and the VR6 for Mum paying (from memory) $72k and sold it 10 years on for $7k. I remember Dad looking at the original bill of sale, shaking his head saying "10 per cent"
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

LouieP

Quote from: the phantom on April 23, 2020, 03:10:06 PM
I bought my VR6, a 5-dr auto http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,4250.0.html from the daughter of the original owner, as recent asian arrivals, they had bought a top spec Merc for Dad and the VR6 for Mum paying (from memory) $72k and sold it 10 years on for $7k. I remember Dad looking at the original bill of sale, shaking his head saying "10 per cent"
Haha yup! I hope it was well looked after when you took ownership. MK4 R32's will soon be cheaper than they already are!

superfueler

Euro cars in particular here in NZ lose value more than most other countries simply because most people here do not see a car as a special thing, its only transport for them,it doesn't matter how the car looks as long as it goes. Hence so many cars around with spider webs and mold growing everywhere. Most people here would rather spend their money on social activities instead of cherishing a car. (not taking a go at any kiwis here, just an observation). These same VR6's and mk4 R32's in Australia and most other european countries still hold value "relatively" well.

Location location location.
Current: 2010 Audi A4 2.7 TDI silver, 2007 Audi A4 2.0T DTM sprint blue, 2007 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI BKD 4motion manual white.
Past: 2004 Golf R32 black pearlescent, 2009 Audi S3 white, 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T blue, 99 Golf mk4 GTI black, 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T black.