Saving A Full Spec 3 Door VR6

Started by LouieP, December 19, 2019, 11:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouieP

Quote from: 80 Vert on January 14, 2020, 07:04:28 PM
The best material by far comes from a guy in Wellington but Waikumete upholsterers stock it.
Do NOT use spray can glue, it's useless.
Need to use a proper spray gun to apply the contact glue.
Thanks for the advice on the glue as spray can stuff was what I was going to use ::) How can i get a hold of the guy in Wellington?
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

80 Vert

LeMans fabrics but Waikumete upholstery in Kelston have his stuff too.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

LouieP

Quote from: 80 Vert on January 15, 2020, 09:47:28 AM
LeMans fabrics but Waikumete upholstery in Kelston have his stuff too.
Great! Will contact them, cheers

LouieP

The cars warrant expired last week so started doing some prep. The wipers were shot so some new ones ordered from Qualitat. Had no idea they stocked the Bosch ones as i always bought their cheaper tridon branded one.

Gave her a quick wash and dressed all the tired trim with some trim dressing.

Pre Wash:

Also deleted the rear wiper while i was there as I never needed them on any of my golfs. They clean the rear end pretty nicely

En-route to the testing station - but first some 98  >:D

VTNZ was dead quiet, must have been due to the anniversary weekend. I walked in, paid the fee and the inspector started the with the vehicle. In and out in like 20 minutes. I sat in the waiting room like i was in the waiting room of a hospital, it was either going to be good or very bad. The guy came back and said everything was okay with only the exception of the front tires down to 2mm tread and some minor engine leaks.

Life for 6 more months! Not what i expected for a newly purchased project car. Fingers crossed we will be looking at an engine overhaul soon and an exhaust build

LouieP

Also scanned the car for the first time yesterday and got this. Anyone have their vr throw this code? If i replaced the cam position sensor and speed sensor would my problem go away or is this timing problems? Car does feel hesitant and down on power in the lower revs

rambo_005

I believe the engine speed sensor code shows when the engine isn't running, and is therefore completely normal.

The others, I'd keep a record of, then clear to see if they return.

the phantom

this thread is making me very nostalgic!
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

LouieP

Quote from: rambo_005 on January 27, 2020, 11:40:18 PM
I believe the engine speed sensor code shows when the engine isn't running, and is therefore completely normal.

The others, I'd keep a record of, then clear to see if they return.
Cheers, have you ever replaced either or these? Did the car run better?

LouieP

rambo_005

Quote from: LouieP on January 28, 2020, 12:03:35 PM
Cheers, have you ever replaced either or these? Did the car run better?

I replaced my camshaft position sensor when my engine was fully rebuilt, so I couldn't say what change it made alone.

Try clearing the codes, take it for a drive and then scan it again with the engine running.

If the code returns, it could be the sensor, the wiring, or the timing: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/00515

the phantom

Quote from: LouieP on January 28, 2020, 12:04:17 PM
Haha! I hope in a good way  :o

oh yes, I loved the way the VR6 felt that it was on the end of an giant rubber band when you accelerated down the straight, mine was auto and the very definition of a gentleman's express
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

LouieP

Question for the VR guru's,

I am currently in the process of getting all the bits to do an engine refresh soon and noticed that there are two chain kits for a vr6. An 'early' double chain top vs the 'later' single chain top. The switchover is apparently build date 09/96 however mine was registered 02/96 and is an OBD2. Will i have the single chain or double? Do all OBD2's regardless of its build date have single chain? Also tried to look for a sachs clutch kit but locally i can only find the valeo kit? Anyone know a source. Last resort will be europe otherwise. Cheers gents

rambo_005

99% sure your car is OBD2 with the single chain, however it's easier to tell by looking at the throttle body.

I made a topic on the visible difference a while ago, but I see photophucket has ruined the pics, you might still be able to see: www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,13030.0.html

LouieP

Thanks Rambo,

Yes i identified it as a OBD2 from the throttle body

LouieP

Quote from: LouieP on February 09, 2020, 12:09:09 PM
Thanks Rambo,

Yes i identified it as a OBD2 from the throttle body
I also asked this because apparently engine code 217xxx and above is single chain and everything below is dual. Mine is 187xxx. Also seen a few obd2's on facebook with dual chains

LouieP

Quote from: LouieP on February 09, 2020, 12:19:17 PM
I also asked this because apparently engine code 217xxx and above is single chain and everything below is dual. Mine is 187xxx. Also seen a few obd2's on facebook with dual chains
Did some more digging and according to VR6OC the early OBD2's had dual chains

LouieP

I removed my door card to fix the 'faulty regulator' only to find no regulator or motor  ::) The hunt for a motor and a regulator begins...

Soon after some parts started arriving at my office. A box full of goodies from Harry's Euro (mostly maintenance) and an aftermarket muffler for my exhaust build (we'll get more into that when the time comes)

New regulator and a window motor courtesy of Harry's Euro and 80Vert

Sorted and drivers window working flawlessly ;D

I also ordered all the parts required for a complete engine refresh and are currently en-route to NZ

- Timing Chain kit and all gaskets from UroTuning
- Sachs VR6 Clutch kit and new slave from VWheritage
- Complete cooling kit from Germany

I drove the car for the first time in a while and although i just cruised around with the sunroof tilted and windows down, it put a big smile on my face. I missed being able to hang my arm out the window, its pretty hard to do in my MK7 with the door lines going up of these newer cars.

Once the rest of the car is sorted cosmetically we will revisit the engine with some upgraded cams and a lovely MSD ignition conversion

80 Vert

Nice, gets better all the time. Glad I could help with a few bits.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

LouieP

Quote from: 80 Vert on February 15, 2020, 03:35:39 PM
Nice, gets better all the time. Glad I could help with a few bits.
Cheers, always good to know the Vask community is happy to help when needed

LouieP

Its been a while since the last update but all parts came into NZ. I thought about giving the engine refresh a go myself however after reading on the vwvortex and watching youtube videos, I realised I was biting off more than i could chew!. In the end I asked a family friend to take the job on for me.

The main reason for this job were the noisy chains. So we did the following:

-Sachs clutch, machined flywheel and a new slave
-Complete chain kit with all new gaskets
-Complete cooling kit including a new waterpump, thermostat housing etc (the works)

When the gearbox came off we realised the headgasket was cracked on an edge. While we were there, it made sense to pull the head off, it was thoroughly inspected and a complete head gasket set was installed with obviously some new head bolts.

i still would like to sort a few sensors here and there so the engine bay area is still in the works. I am just happy that the major stuff is sorted

Some pics below:

Rusty coolant system. System was obviously flushed after new parts installed

Clutch looked in decent shape but it was changed nonetheless

Once the engine bay is all sorted will give it a detail and return it to its original state.