B7 RS4 Oil

Started by das Tor, December 20, 2019, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

das Tor

Hi Guys
I hope this hasn't already been covered a trillion times, but curious what oil you'd recommend for a B7 RS4?
I've only just purchased the car, but knowing it would need a change immediately I stocked up on Castrol Edge 5w 30 whilst supercheap had a sale going a couple of weeks back, which I understood to be "correct".
Just got the car back from a full de-carb with Clint Barber at Engine Carbon Clean (great, thorough service). He said he puts Motul 5w40 in these engines though, so just curious if going up a grade on well worn in b7 RS' is the general consensus here too?
It seems between 10w40 and 5w30 were recommended in different markets from new, so I'm sure neither is going to do any harm in there, but definitely curious to hear if anyone has experienced smoother running etc on the higher grade, before I do the oil change this weekend?
Cheers!

Cheers!

das Tor

Ended up sticking with the Castrol Edge 5w30. Is VW 505 spec, and car hasn't missed a beat on it with a couple of short road trips so far. Oil temp seems to be hovering in the high 90's.