No Front Plate/Illegitimate Number Plate Penalties 2019/2020

Started by Mitch9894, December 30, 2019, 12:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitch9894

Hi All,

Looking for some insight into what the current ramifications are in regards to running no front plate or illegitimate plates (Sticky plates, German font plates etc.)

Just had my bumper painted and smoothed so currently running number plate zip tied to lower grille (Less than ideal). So weighing up between being naughty or just getting a proper Kiwi plates Euro plate and sculpting it to the front of the bumper and securing with 3M tape.

All the threads I have found on this topic are from well over 10 years ago, so just looking for an update.

If you haven't had your front bumper smoothed before I don't expect you to understand the desire to run no front plate!  ;D

Cheers Mitch.
2003 VW Golf R32 Deep Blue Pearl
(Sold) 2006 VW Golf R32 United Grey
(Sold) 2003 Audi S3 8L Ebony Black Pearl
(Sold) 2004 VW Golf R32 Reflex Silver

Filx

What about running a legit plate on one of the two hook mount solutions? ECS do them, but there's probably cheaper variations on Ebay/Amazon.

Otherwise AFAIK it's still a $200 fine and 20 demerit points if caught not running a government approved license plate.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

schattenblau

as above penalties haven't changed.

there was a brief period of enforcement but cops now don't bother ?

Mitch9894

Quote from: Filx on December 30, 2019, 03:05:13 PM
What about running a legit plate on one of the two hook mount solutions? ECS do them, but there's probably cheaper variations on Ebay/Amazon.

Otherwise AFAIK it's still a $200 fine and 20 demerit points if caught not running a government approved license plate.

That's a negative, they look yucky haha. Thanks for the thought though.

A shame they do demerits. I guess every bloke in his Porsche GT3 or E-Type Jag would run them if they didn't.

Mitch9894

Quote from: schattenblau on December 30, 2019, 05:24:20 PM
as above penalties haven't changed.

there was a brief period of enforcement but cops now don't bother ?

Thanks,

Is it the same for no front plate?

schattenblau

yes, from NZTA

QuoteDisplay of number plates

All plates must be fixed securely to the vehicle in an upright position. They must be displayed so that all the characters (numbers and letters) are clearly visible at all times.

A motorcycle, moped, tractor, trailer or trade plate must be fixed on the rear of the vehicle.

All other vehicles require two plates, one at the front and one at the rear.

Mitch9894

le mans

I?m not an authority on this but about 10 years ago I received a parking infringement notice for not displaying government plates (I had those ?german? style plates on my cars then). In that case there were no demerit points. I believe the infringement is the same whether you display no plate or a non-government plate. Maybe the police are showing more discretion these days as far as reasonable replicas go? I?ve seen quite a few sports cars with non government front plates.

schattenblau

usually big. expensive sportscars   :P

eg.

and technically, any modification of the plate, eg trimming, bending etc. is also on the naughty list.

thomas.dq

Had germanplates on my car for 4 years with no issue. Cops never took a second look.

Upside was a parking ticket when the warden entered O instead of a zero :laugh:
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2017 Mitsubishi Outlander
2016 Nissan Leaf

1997 Mk3 Golf VR6
2010 Mk6 Golf GTI

Mitch9894

Quote from: le mans on December 31, 2019, 10:20:41 AM
I?m not an authority on this but about 10 years ago I received a parking infringement notice for not displaying government plates (I had those ?german? style plates on my cars then). In that case there were no demerit points. I believe the infringement is the same whether you display no plate or a non-government plate. Maybe the police are showing more discretion these days as far as reasonable replicas go? I?ve seen quite a few sports cars with non government front plates.

Right, Thanks.

B5Passat

I too had germanplates on my car for several years and had no problems with the cops even when pulled over once for speeding and the occasional police check point. However, I did get a ticket while parked from a parking warden when I worked in Birkenhead for having the wrong plates so I  parked on a side street and received no further tickets. Eventually by luck ran out and I was stopped in one of those police check points and they took my plates off my car.

Mitch9894

Quote from: B5Passat on January 04, 2020, 03:00:37 PM
I too had germanplates on my car for several years and had no problems with the cops even when pulled over once for speeding and the occasional police check point. However, I did get a ticket while parked from a parking warden when I worked in Birkenhead for having the wrong plates so I  parked on a side street and received no further tickets. Eventually by luck ran out and I was stopped in one of those police check points and they took my plates off my car.

Bummer. So did they expect you to drive home without plates at all? Bit silly isn't it?

Mitch9894

Quote from: thomas.dq on January 04, 2020, 08:27:09 AM
Had germanplates on my car for 4 years with no issue. Cops never took a second look.

Upside was a parking ticket when the warden entered O instead of a zero :laugh:

Haha. Good stuff.

Naekyr

Quote from: le mans on December 31, 2019, 10:20:41 AM

you can only get demerit points from a cop who has pulled you off the road. No parking warden can do that