Converting a TDI 4M Passat from DSG to Manual

Started by McDoof, February 04, 2020, 03:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDoof

Is there any point in pursuing a DSG to manual conversion on a 125kw TDI 4motion Passat?
The reason I ask is because my DSG is a bit dicky. It's not broken as such. It just behaves a bit funny in certain situations. Such as being parked on a slope.

I still need to confirm that fluid levels are good etc, but thought I would see if anyone had tried to do a conversion to a manual gearbox.
What parts would be needed and would I even be able to source them here in NZ? Would any of you out there in VASK land be able or willing to assist in the process?

It could make an interesting build thread.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Filx

Broadly speaking you will need the manual conversion parts. Getting a 4Mo manual box in NZ is a bit tricky, might be slightly easier for a diesel as there was a few more manuals around.

Gearbox
Clutch
Flywheel
Shifter cables and shifter box
Transfer case
Clutch pedal inc clutch switch
Clutch MC
Clutch line
Driveshafts (if different to DSG)
Gearbox mount (if different to DSG)
Interior shift knob, leather boot, plastic surround

You then need to install everything and program the car to think it's a manual, which I believe you can do with VCDS.

John (80vert) at Westworx has done a few late model DSG to manual swaps so probably knows more about what's involved.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Worms

I though that was par for the course Doesn't Shift Good  ;) They get confused on my road, by the sudden hills, dips and corners.

It may even require the actual manual ECU. Not all are codable, some can have manual software loaded, though my R32 DSG ECU couldn't, so I brought new.

I had to have a manual ECU for my Touran R32, because otherwise the ABS (MK60 4motion) kept looking for the trans.

Some of the diesel ECU are the same hardware number, but have different software loaded for different models/specs etc. You may be able to simply(;D) load the correct software onto your existing ECU.

I think you have electric parking brake too, so there could be coding and/or module issues there.

You need to hunt for scans of similar cars and check modules and codings etc.

A chunk of the mechanical bits are likely to be the same as Golfs - the trans, driveshafts should be. Mechanicals are the easy bit.

It's a project that: if you start it, be prepared that it may be more involved than you thought, and keep at it!

schattenblau

McDoof

I should mention that the car actually drives fine under most conditions. It just does weird stuff at times when parked on a funny angle.

@Felix
That list looks daunting already. I figured it might just be a bit out of reach. Especially on a 10 year old car with 160k on the clock.
I thought initially that the best thing to do would be find a wrecked MK5 TDI 4Motion Golf and pillage all the bits I needed and then just add a shift knob... Job done.

There is a guy in the states who did a similar conversion on his Passat CC R36. Using the manual box and bits from an R32 Golf.

Quote from: schattenblau on February 05, 2020, 12:27:50 PM
trade in the DSG for a factory manual ?

;D

They don't exist in NZ.  >:( or at least, I have never seen one. Even finding a B6 TDI 4motion with a 125kw engine was a rarity.

@Worms
They are common in the UK. So I would have thought the coding was available for things like the EPB. But then it could be a different ECU altogether.

Time for some more research.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red