2014 Golf R stage 1 tune reliability, references

Started by jkr, February 08, 2020, 11:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkr

Hi, I'm umming about getting a stage 1 tune on my 2014 Mk7 Golf R with DSG. Anyone had this done and differences? Also any reliability issues over the past few years etc?
Also wanting some references/contacts in Hamilton/Auckland area.

Cheers

The Red Warrior

Perhaps PM Hennie (GLIDN) on this forum. He?s in Auckland and is a Unitronic dealer. He?s bound to have tuned several cars the same as yours to stage 1. He may even be able to put you in touch with one of his customers for you to talk to directly.

jkr

Thanks yes I have seen his posts and tried to message him direct but said his inbox was full.
Hopefully sees this post as would like to talk to some people that have had this done.

McDoof

While, I don't have an R, I have had pretty much every car I own tuned in the last 10 years. Generally a Stage 1 tune is very reliable if done by a proper tuner. Stage 1 optimises your car. So arguably, a stage 1 tune is actually better for your car than the stock tune.
I have heard very good results for the MK7 R. You'd be looking around 40 to 50kw increase in power and a similar margin in torque. I've never regretted having a car tuned.
Hennie, did my MK5 GTI for me. Full custom tune. It completely transformed the car. :-)
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Quote from: McDoof on February 10, 2020, 09:59:09 AM
While, I don't have an R, I have had pretty much every car I own tuned in the last 10 years. Generally a Stage 1 tune is very reliable if done by a proper tuner. Stage 1 optimises your car. So arguably, a stage 1 tune is actually better for your car than the stock tune.
I have heard very good results for the MK7 R. You'd be looking around 40 to 50kw increase in power and a similar margin in torque. I've never regretted having a car tuned.
Hennie, did my MK5 GTI for me. Full custom tune. It completely transformed the car. :-)

I share the same sentiment. The argument could be made that for Euro cars a stage 1 tune is just returning the car to stock. The golfs are actually de-tuned by the factory to handle the low quality of fuel around the world and to meet emissions standards. But if you have access to high quality 98 octane or better and don't have emissions testing on WoFs, a stage 1 tune will return the engine to stock and give the power it's intended for.