Air con not working......

Started by RGolf, February 11, 2020, 12:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGolf

Hey all,

I have just taken my wifes 1.4 TSi golf in for what I anticipated to be an air con re-gas, and left being told it was not an easy fix and I had two options;
- spend $3k on a complete rebuild of the air con??
- buy a used compressor and instal with the hope this might fix for a period of time.

Keen to get some feedback from the VASK fam on what your experience is with this type of failure.

They have said the compressor shear plate is broken.

Any light shed would be greatly appreciated, as the car has had a fair bit spent on her over the past year or so with new radiator, and cam chain/water pump etc, not to mention the DGE mechatronics and various other. fixes.

Thanks heaps,

Reuben

Gordo

jJst tell her not to worry about it, it'll be winter soon - and run...
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

Worms

The most likely fault (assuming no noises) is the compressor control valve.

You can buy them separate to the compressor; degas, replace valve (5 minute job), regas and go. I've done both my Tourans.

Unless you have the SUPER basic AC (unlikely) The compressor will be a variable displacement unit and uses the control valve to alter the displacement of the compressor. The valves stick/wear and stop controlling the unit. A possible clue, is that occasionally the AC will appear to work, but then suddenly feel warm, or will intermittently go warm/cold cyclically. Sometimes you think it's working, and then it slowly get warmer and warmer etc.

There may be better sources, but I got mine from RKX tech: https://www.rkxtech.com/collections/air-conditioning/products/sanden-pxe16 Check which one you require. Mine have been in for 2 years, in both cars. Last I knew, dealers only sold whole compressors, not the valves. I suspect a lot of perfectly good compressors have been scrapped over the years :-(