Author Topic: Stucked Key - Golf MK5 GTI  (Read 836 times)

Offline Rylee

Stucked Key - Golf MK5 GTI
« on: February 12, 2020, 03:28:13 pm »
Hi,

Good day, I was searching for some threads about stucked key in ignition but nil. Posting this as my key is stucked in the ignition cylinder and can't be pulled. I just turned off the car by removing the fuel pump fuse. Through the power of google, i believe key cylinder lock ignition needs to be replaced so tried checking with VW and quoted me $1,230 for everything. Anyone had this experience and how was it solved?

Appreciate all your feedback.

Thank you,

Rylee
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 06:49:46 pm by Rylee »

Offline johnp

• #
Re: Stucked Key - Golf MK5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 05:23:22 pm »
Take the key lock mechanism out or take the car to a locksmith.
They should be able to get the key remnants out.

Offline Naekyr

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:13:06 am »
Hi,

Good day, I was searching for some threads about stucked key in ignition but nil. Posting this as my key is stucked in the ignition cylinder and can't be pulled. I just turned off the car by removing the fuel pump fuse. Through the power of google, i believe key cylinder lock ignition needs to be replaced so tried checking with VW and quoted me $1,230 for everything. Anyone had this experience and how was it solved?

Appreciate all your feedback.

Thank you,

Rylee

Ouch, it can be a costly job through the dealer. A mate had the same issue, but on a 22 year old Toyota - the dealer wanted $800 to fix it. Can't wait till we get rid of keys, which is coming very soon - once the next version of iOS is out, cars that have apple car play will be able to use phones/smart watches as keys and never need a physical key again (until some electronics break and it wont start of course :P
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:15:32 am by Naekyr »

Offline Rylee

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 01:24:51 pm »
Fixed  :) :) :)
Bought the ignition barrel at trade me for $36.13 and follow steps from link below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aca2N97MVlo