mk4 R32 exaust de-cat questions.

Started by superfueler, February 18, 2020, 04:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superfueler

I'm hoping the fundi's might be able to help with a qustion.

If i decide to de-cat my R32's stock exaust (for obvious reasons, ie nicer clearer VR6 sound) then,

1. How can i keep the engine check light off?
2. Will it pass future WOF's with a de-cat stock exaust?
3. Any other loop holes to consider?

Cheers.
Current: 2010 Audi A4 2.7 TDI silver, 2007 Audi A4 2.0T DTM sprint blue, 2007 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI BKD 4motion manual white.
Past: 2004 Golf R32 black pearlescent, 2009 Audi S3 white, 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T blue, 99 Golf mk4 GTI black, 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T black.

LouieP

It will fail if the check engine light is on from it. A tune would keep the light off and as far as I am aware cat deletes are not illegal in NZ (Not yet). I would go hi-flow cat, reso delete and flapper mod but wire it up to switch so you can close the valves if its too loud. I heard a 32 on instagram with this set up and it sounded great
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

Brett

Quote from: LouieP on February 18, 2020, 05:46:28 PM
It will fail if the check engine light is on from it. A tune would keep the light off and as far as I am aware cat deletes are not illegal in NZ (Not yet). I would go hi-flow cat, reso delete and flapper mod but wire it up to switch so you can close the valves if its too loud. I heard a 32 on instagram with this set up and it sounded great
Cat deletes are illegal. Most testing stations just don't look/care until it's cracked down on one day
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

schattenblau

that day has come,

in the last round of VIRMs, no cat is a fail if;

2. A vehicle (other than group L vehicle or a class MA or MC motorsport vehicle with a valid motorsport authority card) that was first registered in New Zealand on or after 1 May 2010 and manufactured from 1 January 1990 has a catalytic converter (or diesel particulate filter (DPF) in the case of diesel powered vehicles) removed where there is evidence that one was originally fitted, and there is no written evidence issued by an entry certifier that the vehicle passed a prescribed metered emissions test in this condition

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/exhaust/exhaust-emissions

LouieP

Quote from: Brett on February 18, 2020, 06:00:17 PM
Cat deletes are illegal. Most testing stations just don't look/care until it's cracked down on one day
Thanks for clearing that up, wont be long before they start getting strict on it. Also see you on Kalmia Street some days after work. Car has a nice subtle overrun
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

80 Vert

About time too. Long overdue.
All these people just cutting their cats out, and we call ourselves clean and green. What a joke.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Naekyr

Quote from: 80 Vert on February 18, 2020, 09:36:45 PM
All these people just cutting their cats out, and we call ourselves clean and green. What a joke.

What are you even doing here then lol. Going decat was one of the first things I did, can't have proper pops/bangs and/or flames with it haha.

To answer questions.

Cat delete/ decat downpipe install is easy. It will pass a wof as they dont do emissions testing

McDoof

That law has been in place for a long time. You can technically still decat your vehicle if it was first registered in NZ before 2010. So any imported cars that have come in since 2010 are not allowed to be done, but if your car is NZ new pre 2010 or imported prior to 2010, go for gold.

I had this conundrum when I had my 3.0R Legacy. Even though it was pre 2010 and NZ new I decided to keep 2 of the 3 cats. That was back in 2012.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

schattenblau

don't forget the jan 1 1990 build date.
that's going to catch a lot of imports.

McDoof

Pretty sure that just means anything manufactured prior to 1990 is exempt from having a cat altogether.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

superfueler

Quote from: 80 Vert on February 18, 2020, 09:36:45 PM

You can call yourself green thanks. I am true BLUE.  8)
Current: 2010 Audi A4 2.7 TDI silver, 2007 Audi A4 2.0T DTM sprint blue, 2007 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI BKD 4motion manual white.
Past: 2004 Golf R32 black pearlescent, 2009 Audi S3 white, 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T blue, 99 Golf mk4 GTI black, 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T black.

80 Vert

Never said I was green, law has been around for ages and it's about time they enforce it.
NZ is such a joke we don't even do emissions testing of any kind, unheard of in the civilised world.
Plenty of hi flow cat options out there which is what Ive always done when building performance stuff.

Naekyr

Quote from: 80 Vert on February 23, 2020, 07:28:04 PM
Never said I was green, law has been around for ages and it's about time they enforce it.
NZ is such a joke we don't even do emissions testing of any kind, unheard of in the civilised world.
Plenty of hi flow cat options out there which is what Ive always done when building performance stuff.

Having never tried a 200 cell cat, does it still sound like this or does it reduce the sound And/Or will it burn the cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIF1AbZGZ4w

80 Vert

That sounds horrible, never tried non cat vs hi flow. I've always just installed hi flow from the beginning so can't say sorry.

McDoof

Quote from: Naekyr on February 23, 2020, 10:39:01 PM
Having never tried a 200 cell cat, does it still sound like this or does it reduce the sound And/Or will it burn the cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIF1AbZGZ4w
Why would you want to drive something that sounds like that?
You might as well through a pack of fire crackers out of your window every time you let off the accelerator.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Quote from: McDoof on February 24, 2020, 09:39:02 AM
Why would you want to drive something that sounds like that?
You might as well through a pack of fire crackers out of your window every time you let off the accelerator.

Doesn't do it all the time, it can be enabled and disabled based on the gearbox profile, i.e. having it in aggressive sport.

No different to any other cars that have overrun, like the Audi RS3, which also enabled the bangs in Dynamic/Sport and disables it in Comfort.

Poonmobile

Quote from: superfueler on February 18, 2020, 04:43:18 PM
I'm hoping the fundi's might be able to help with a qustion.

If i decide to de-cat my R32's stock exaust (for obvious reasons, ie nicer clearer VR6 sound) then,

1. How can i keep the engine check light off?
2. Will it pass future WOF's with a de-cat stock exaust?
3. Any other loop holes to consider?

Cheers.

I had a millet decat pipe put on my old Mk4 R32, as i then installed a full miltek system (resonated)
I went for a tune to code out the CEL but also to help with that dreaded flat spot and to give me 'slightly' better fuel economy. Never had any issues with warrants in the 4+ years i had the car after this modification. (owned the car for @7 years)
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

Gordo

You wouldn't, the cat stuff is new.
Personally, while I consider it decades overdue - should have been introduced when we went fully lead free - I do have a problem with it being retro-active, many older vehicles had their cat's removed perfectly legally and stinging them for replacements now would be a bit on the nose.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

McDoof

Quote from: Gordo on February 25, 2020, 07:22:49 AM
You wouldn't, the cat stuff is new.
Personally, while I consider it decades overdue - should have been introduced when we went fully lead free - I do have a problem with it being retro-active, many older vehicles had their cat's removed perfectly legally and stinging them for replacements now would be a bit on the nose.

They wouldn't do that. Only if the car is registered after may 2010 does this apply. Any cars registered prior to that exempt. The only thing that changed this year was the addition of Diesel DPF to the same law.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Gordo

So you're claiming no-one in the last ten years legally, under the legislation then in place, removed the cat' on their vehicle...
Yeah, right...
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)