Author Topic: Singaporean Imports  (Read 727 times)

Offline Long Black

Singaporean Imports
« on: February 25, 2020, 04:36:11 pm »
Been seeing a few Audi A4 and S4 pop up on trade me with a Singaporean history. I've always been wary having had a friend with a C series Merc have to replace the wiring loom due to humidity damage. Anyone with any experience on these imports?
1999 B5 VW Passat V6 Syncro Wagon - Black...gone
2007 B7 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - Black...gone
2011 B8 Audi A4 S-line Avant Quattro 2.0T - White..Gone
2008 Mk5 VW Golf GTI - Black
2012 B8 Audi S4 Avant - Brilliant Red

Offline mark2 golf

• #
Re: Singaporean Imports
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 05:02:22 pm »
That was bullcrap with the mercs. I worked for merc and the nz new and jap cars did exactly the same thing. It was crap plastic insulation
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
02 Allroad tdi
99 s430 merc
90 190e 2.6

Offline Brett

• #
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:15:06 pm »
As long as you get a thorough prepurchase inspection and ideally a mechanical warranty then you should be ok.

Personally I wouldn't though.
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Offline Worms

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 07:06:04 am »
As with ANY car, look at it on it's own merits. There's plenty of NZ new cars that are piles of crap, and I don't trust Kiwis to look after them properly, unless they're an enthusiast etc... and even then - you still need to make your OWN assessment.

I know NONE of my lease cars were serviced as the book said to.

Most of the Singapore stories are myths, made by dealers trying to sell you a jap import or NZ new one "they happen to have in stock".

Same with most of the Jap import stories - most of them are from people who brought from a dodgy dealer, or brought on price, not real condition. Not that many really nice cars are sold new in NZ, so you need to bare in mind MOST are imports, so there will always be more stories, and the types of dealers selling them are in it for the money, so buying the cheapest car they can get, for the most profit. It's just how it works.

Northland and Auckland regularly have similar humidity to singapore (high!), AND we hit dew point more often - potentially worse!

Most of the wiring issues are from the manufacturing of the wiring - Just like the plastic cooling system parts, the wiring uses recycled plastic to meet the German requirements. Also, they use things like soy and other oils, rather good, old fashioned nasty petroleum based plastics. It's a worldwide thing, but anywhere that gets hotish (including cars sitting on Aucklands carparks/motorways) suffer from. Google wiring problems, and you'll see MANY brands have the issue, and it's all over the place. They Mid 90's was a REALLY bad time for mercedes wiring - you could literally powder some parts of the insulation in your hand!

I had a Singapore import BMW E39 for years and my best friend had a NZ New version. They both had all the same issues - rubber bits going brittle and wire insulation going brittle where they were exposed to heat. They are all standard issues that happen everywhere, eventually. I never had a wiring issue, though he had the insulation fails at the thermostat and either cam or crank sensors. I had the ABS module fail, but that's super common E39. Plastic engine bay parts disintegrated at times, on both.

My wife and I have smilar Age VW Tourans, hers Japanese imported, and mine NZ New. They have similar issues too - my door cards are fallingaprt - hers are fine. Her eadlining has sagged, mine is a little loose just in one corner. Both have had plastic coolant fitting changed, because they looked brown and brittle (preventative).

Maybe if you live in Norway, there less effect from the heat :-D

I would include the cars origin as a factor in my decision, but certainly not base the decision on it entirely.

Offline biinary

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:30:56 am »
hi, i'm from Singapore. interesting to see a topic on this here. Anyway was here because i'm looking to export my car(RS5) due to end of life in my country to a dealer in NZ for reselling + potentially other vehicles. would anyone have a contact?