[RECALL] VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE, GOLF, JETTA, PASSAT, POLO... Model years 2012-2014

Started by JaseNZ, March 02, 2020, 05:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaseNZ

The Hazard

Mechatronics Unit.
Volkswagen AG has established that Volkswagen vehicles with 7 speed dual clutch gearbox, may over time, not continue to meet required production standards.
The mechatronics unit takes electronic signals and converts them into hydraulic power to operate your gearbox. In isolated cases a component may fail, leading to a loss of pressure in the hydraulic section of the mechatronics and in turn resulting in interruption of the power flow between the engine and the transmission.
For safety reasons, we need to undertake an inspection of this mechatronics component to ascertain if this may be affected, and consequently requires replacement. The work required will take approximately 4hrs and will be performed free of charge.

What to do

Owners will be notified in writing and should make an appointment with their nearest dealership to arrange to have the work completed.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

McDoof

They should do the same on the 6 speed. So may failed units. Just plain dangerous on the road in the hands of someone just driving it like an auto.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

McDoof

I wish....
If only someone had a wrecked manual TDI 4motion lying around...
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Quote from: McDoof on March 03, 2020, 10:08:15 AM
They should do the same on the 6 speed. So may failed units. Just plain dangerous on the road in the hands of someone just driving it like an auto.

yeah what the fook, why no 6 speed recall - these things are deathtraps too.

I've encountered a situation once or twice where I'm trying to pull away in traffic and the clutch doesn't take or something, resulting in the engine just revving for a couple second before the car gets a move on - seems very dangerous to me! These days I wait for extra big gaps just in case the gearbox decides to crap itself again. When you can't trust that pressing the accelerator will make the car accelerate then how is that safe!??

Brett

Quote from: Naekyr on March 04, 2020, 09:03:08 AM
yeah what the fook, why no 6 speed recall - these things are deathtraps too.

I've encountered a situation once or twice where I'm trying to pull away in traffic and the clutch doesn't take or something, resulting in the engine just revving for a couple second before the car gets a move on - seems very dangerous to me! These days I wait for extra big gaps just in case the gearbox decides to crap itself again. When you can't trust that pressing the accelerator will make the car accelerate then how is that safe!??

Out of interest, how many km?s has that car done?
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

Naekyr

Quote from: Brett on March 04, 2020, 09:23:09 PM
Out of interest, how many km?s has that car done?

60k km, dsg serviced at 48k km

I've had it scanned twice, test driven 3 times by various mechanics including from VW dealership. They all insist its driving normal... still sounds dangerous to me.

Brett

Quote from: Naekyr on March 05, 2020, 04:58:41 PM
60k km, dsg serviced at 48k km

I've had it scanned twice, test driven 3 times by various mechanics including from VW dealership. They all insist its driving normal... still sounds dangerous to me.
Did it start happening after the dsg service? Potentially not enough oil put in or a dsg calibration procedure may help
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

McDoof

Mine started playing up after a DSG service. I've done the adaptation procedure twice since then, but keeps getting worse. Going to try and check the fluid level this week.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Quote from: Brett on March 06, 2020, 12:00:00 PM
Did it start happening after the dsg service? Potentially not enough oil put in or a dsg calibration procedure may help

cant be sure anymore, the service was 2 years ago now

Naekyr

Quote from: McDoof on March 09, 2020, 09:28:02 AM
Mine started playing up after a DSG service. I've done the adaptation procedure twice since then, but keeps getting worse. Going to try and check the fluid level this week.

Whats the best way to check fluid level, thermal gun? I know there is a kind of dip stick underneath but oil will come out anyway when you pull it out. I think the workshop method is to warm the gearbox up then measure the temperature with a thermal gun pointed at the gearbox to make sure its in the optimal range

McDoof

You can also use VCDS or similar to make sure the temp is right. The basically have to jack it up,  add a bit of fluid, to over fill it slightly, open up the drain hole (it has an upward facing pipe inside the gearbox that acts as a depth gauge so to say. When draining the box the pipe is removed) and wait until it drips at a specified rate. Then plug up the hole again.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

McDoof

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Naekyr

Quote from: McDoof on March 11, 2020, 03:12:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo8kiOxN8zg
This video covers the basics

Thanks, I'll have a watch. I don't have vcds or a thermal gun though. I may just get a workshop to check for me

McDoof

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red