Got T boned on Sunday

Started by B5Passat, March 03, 2020, 07:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouieP

Bugger, looks like you just washed the thing too!
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

Pristle

And people ask me why I insist on buying VAG. You're a very lucky man, physically speaking.

Without a close, hands on look, I'd be hard pressed to find $29k there too. I can't see what damage (of any) to the A or B pillars. And there might be the rub.

Gordo

Depends - got hit in the same place, maybe 3 inches further forward, in an older car, by a woman that didn't see the red light - it was shunted around 10 metres sideways but I just got an aggravation of an old neck injury.
Her insurance paid out twice what it cost, and I kept the car and made more on parting it out!
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

Audi do

Quote from: B5Passat on March 19, 2020, 06:00:15 PM
Last week we tried several times and even left messages for the insurance company to contact us. So on Monday the wife and I went to the panel beater to find out what is going on only to find that my car had been taken away.  Especially after being told it would not be removed until after the payout etc. Anyway it was really weird aswell because the panelbeater/owner didn't come out to talk to us. The panelbeater's wife told us that they took the car and it's at the salvage/tow yard. When we left I quickly went back to ask something and the panelbeater was there and the look on his face was like he got caught out. It was really strange. 

Sounds like a scam to me, sounds to me that the "panel beater" wanted the car (once he saw all the additions, nice car etc) and put the amount he did on the repairs in the hope that your insurance company would say it was too costly to repair and wouldn't cover the repairs and he could buy it from the insurance company for cheap.

liv

Sorry for you loss @B5Passat.  It's really odd I decided to click on this link and read through your thread today, just after I came across this: https://www.manheim.co.nz/damaged-vehicles/000000000006018168/2011-volkswagen-passat-125kw-cl-sedan?referringPage=SearchResults

Really sad to see a good, cared-for car end up being stored like this.  Hopefully it goes to a good home to be repaired and enjoyed by an enthusiast.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)
2019 Mercedes Benz B180 AMG (W247)

B5Passat

It will be really interesting to see what it sells for. Such a waste of a good car.

Well it took awhile but the insurance company paid us $16K and I was able to take my steering wheel, the android stereo and the dash cam. I was able to take the vw flip camera but  it would take ages to get the wiring for it as well so I left it.

Bought a 2012 Passat 4wd high mileage car that has 175k on it that cost me under 9K. Inspection showed no issues and it has a service history with Ebbetts in Hamilton. It doesn't have dcc which I miss or xenon lights.

Got a quote of $500 from Final touch in Hamilton to fix the stone chips, paint swirls etc and to polish the headlights. I might get some other quotes.

Started to buy bits and pieces for the new car which have yet to arrive. I got some lowered springs from Germany which arrived really fast.

80 Vert

I'm surprised you wouldn't just bid on auction and repair. It won't sell for much.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration