URS4 ECU

Started by URS4 Avant, March 18, 2020, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

URS4 Avant

Evening, just putting this as a query at this stage. I decided that my perfectly performing urs4 needed more performance and purchased a chip set for it. Have given it to a person who i thought could perform the surgery without any problems. He has had two goes at it now and the car has turned into a lawn ornament. I can see both of us are loosing hope, although he is going to have another go at it.
So has anyone got a spare ecu from one of these cars, mine is a 93 s4 manual with no immobiliser. ECU no. 0 261 200 465/466

Thanks Kev

portmanteau

might these help?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-Original-Datensatz-Chip-Eproms-S4-S6-AAN-ohne-WFS-4A0907551AA/333503988282

A complete ecu is worth quite a lot of money anywhere on the planet

I have an ecu here, but it stays with harness and engine, for sale complete sorry

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

URS4 Avant

Blast, i saw you were wrecking that car and had some hope! Fair call you are selling complete. Im down but not out! Hopefully can resurrect what i already have. I have just seen a fair few s4/s6 cars go through trademe recently looking like they will be used as parts. Someone will have an ecu im sure. Also my 1st gear in the early 6spd box is getting a little noisy.. Not selling the g/box are you?

portmanteau

Something will turn up for you

The trans is for sale but un-driven, for obvious reasons if you saw the pics showing the state of the car when I rescued it from an untimely death in the crusher

It was definitely in regular use before being parked up with ignition issues, because I used to drive past it every few weeks

I will be looking for top dollar for the trans. Only pulled it out a few days ago and forgot to take a look to see if it has the wide 1st-gear "bump" but being built late 1994 I don't expect to find that it has

If engine and/or trans don't yet fetch the money I want then I will just keep them as spares for mu own urS4, S2 Nothelle Avant and S2 sedan, until the day arrives that they are the last ones in captivity, if needs be!

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

portmanteau

Take a look at this for an oddity:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-VW-Audi-Engine-Computer-ECU-DME-OEM-4A0-997-551-x-0-261-200-466-/233317356033

Not only is it a factory exchange part, but the fan!

If it works, it's cheap, but who would know

URS4 Avant

I hear you, with the box. Mine's still doing ok at this stage. Ill nab one from a b5 S4 when i find one i guess. S2 sedan.. i remember seeing one on trademe years ago (8ish), so upset with myself for not getting it. Was on a dollar reserve auction if i recall.. I had a Sapphire Cosworth at the time so didn't pull the trigger. Im off to investigate that ecu now, i think the X on the end of the audi sticker indicates an immobiliser ecu. But im on to it, good spot. You are better at ebay than i am!

portmanteau

Quote from: URS4 Avant on March 19, 2020, 12:04:26 AM
I hear you, with the box. Mine's still doing ok at this stage. Ill nab one from a b5 S4 when i find one i guess. S2 sedan.. i remember seeing one on trademe years ago (8ish), so upset with myself for not getting it. Was on a dollar reserve auction if i recall.. I had a Sapphire Cosworth at the time so didn't pull the trigger. Im off to investigate that ecu now, i think the X on the end of the audi sticker indicates an immobiliser ecu. But im on to it, good spot. You are better at ebay than i am!

X just means exchange factory rebuilt

there's two S2 sedans in NZ. Mine is the silver one that you probably saw. 11 ever made in RHD

URS4 Avant

Got it, guess i will never know what the ecu was in! S2 sedan is top 5 car for me, I hope to see it one day.

portmanteau

Good luck. I hope it's in good condition, but also you had better be prepared for a possible long delay for getting it shipped to NZ at this point in time

I have a few packages from both UK and Germany that have dropped into black holes at the moment... USA might soon be the same way

le mans

S2 sedan - what a score! from memory the one for sale many tears ago had bolero wheels. Is that the one you bought? It looked so good.

portmanteau

Quote from: le mans on March 19, 2020, 08:23:25 PM
S2 sedan - what a score! from memory the one for sale many tears ago had bolero wheels. Is that the one you bought? It looked so good.

No, mine was/is still on oem Avus

Maybe the other one had the Boleros, but I only ever had those myself on a red S6 Avant, long since sold

user2154

Bugger I did the same thing three years ago.

If it is a manual you will find one on quattroforum USA or S2forum in UK no problem.

4A0 997 551 is not a URS4/6 ECU!

The URS4/6 ECU is 4A0 907 551 A, AA, B, C, D, E, F

Beware of those Ebay ECU's!

I almost got ripped off by a guy in germany Quattro-Zentrale Gramann on ebay, I paid him 410 Euro and he sent me a dud ECU. I was lucky to get my money back from paypal.

Here is one.

https://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-parts/msgs/55420.phtml

Note that you can use a later model immobiliser ECU in an earlier model non ECU vehicle, you just have to chip the board to remove the immobiliser code. Don't ask me how I know.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/technical/engine-and-turbo/86467-will-urs6-ecu-work-in-my-urs4-automatic

le mans

Another, no doubt more expensive option, would be a plug-in after market ECU. I think these guys have a solid product from what I?ve read. However it then comes down to the skill and knowledge of the tuner to get the car running perfectly.

https://www.maxxecu.com/products/pluginecu

le mans

Could also so be worth a call to Anything Electronic in Nelson to see if they can help. They just repaired my ABS controller (B5 A4).

http://www.anythingelectronic.co.nz/aenz/index.php
03 548 5336

portmanteau

Quote from: user2154 on March 21, 2020, 08:31:42 AM

4A0 997 551 is not a URS4/6 ECU!

The URS4/6 ECU is 4A0 907 551 A, AA, B, C, D, E, F

Why then does ETKA list 4A0997551X as "control unit for petrol engine Motronic AAN" and as a replacement for 4A0907551AA and model years  1991 thru 1994 Audi 100?

4A0997551 (without "X" for replacement rebuilt factory exchange part) on the other hand does not appear to be a part number, at all

user2154

Well I stand corrected.

user2154

Quote from: URS4 Avant on March 18, 2020, 09:50:20 PM
Evening, just putting this as a query at this stage. I decided that my perfectly performing urs4 needed more performance and purchased a chip set for it. Have given it to a person who i thought could perform the surgery without any problems. He has had two goes at it now and the car has turned into a lawn ornament. I can see both of us are loosing hope, although he is going to have another go at it.
So has anyone got a spare ecu from one of these cars, mine is a 93 s4 manual with no immobiliser. ECU no. 0 261 200 465/466

Thanks Kev

I am interested to know at what point your ECU failed.

When I chipped my original ECU it initially worked, I then chose to pull the ECU and clean the board with compressed isopropyl alcohol, when I reinstalled it the engine would not fire.

Second time around I purchased a soldering station with heat control and did the job proper. I did not attempt to clean the board. Has been running sweet for three years now.

Unfortunately these ECU's are very hard to repair apparently. There is one expert in USA but he did not return my email at the time. I was eventually lucky to get a manual ECU for 90 Euros from the UK. A bargain. I had to chip it to remove the immobiliser function.

A point to note is that if you buy an ECU with immobilser function you plug it in and you engine will run for 3 seconds then cut off. Then you know the ECU is good and can be chipped to remove immobiliser function.

There are many things that can go wrong with a soldering job, cold solder joints etc. Can you post photos of your ECU solder joints?

I am in no way an expert and I recommend you send your ECU to a soldering expert to have the job done right if it is simply a case of bad soldering.

URS4 Avant

Thanks for the reply's chaps. Im hoping to see the guy that did the job today. He is comming to my place to see if we can get it going. The chips came with the car and weren't fitted so i figured hey why not! I had him do my 850 T5 volvo first to check his work haha and that turned out fine. Seems to know a soldering iron from a blow torch.
Have tried to attach a pic of the chips,but the 'upload folder if full' Ill update you all with todays outcome if any.

user2154

The chips only go in one way and they are obviously different. You sure you got them in the correct orientation?

If your guy did a decent soldering job following basic anti-static precautions then there should be no reason for the board to fail.

But by my example it can happen lol

URS4 Avant

The guy was a no show on moving forward with this unfortunately. I don't feel its the right time to start moaning about car ecu's at the moment! I opened up the Ecu to check the chip orientation and seems to be fine. So full disclosure, when he first did the job he piggy backed the chips over the originals.. Then it didn't work so went back and did it the right way. Now saying he has been finding tunes of the net, so i really don't know what to think. When i turn the ign on in the car, i get the check light on as i should and can hear all the associated relays clicking just like it did when it was fine. I heard him say and now got me thinking, is it possible to load a automatic tune onto a chip? Should i try and ground pin 42 on the main connector?
I see someone on trademe has a Auto ecu for sale.. I don't know lol.