Rattling metallic sounds

Started by Naekyr, March 19, 2020, 02:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naekyr

So the GTI has developed a rattling sound that only occurs when driving over uneven surfaces, like a pothole, bump or otherwise roads where the seal has uneven wear.

The rattling only occurs above 20kmph, going slowly over uneven surfaces does not produce the noise.

It sounds like metal on metal contact, but I don't know from where it's coming. While inside with the windows up it's hard to hear the noise, with the windows down it's very easy to hear the noise.

I think it might be coming from the back of the car but I can't be certain. I can't see anything obviously hanging off or looking loose underneath so I don't know what it could be with hoisting it up, there also don't seem to be any fluids leaking anywhere.

Any ideas on what to check?

McDoof

Sometimes things like this are hard to diagnose.
I had a horrible knocking sound in my old Legacy that bugged me for months until I found a golf ball rolling around in one of the seat rails.  ???
Also had a marble rolling around inside the spare wheel well. Just as annoying.

This is the kind of thing that happens if you have kids.

Otherwise, I know the subframe bolts are prone to coming loose on the MK5/6 platform. So worth checking those.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

GLIDN

can be the wastegate rattle too. common on mk6 gti or 2.0TSI motors.
there is a upgraded part that can be purchased from VW for less $100 to install and fix that rattle issue, if it's the wastegate causing the noise.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

schattenblau

i had a really annoying intermittent rattle in my mk5.

at times it sound like a bolt rolling back and forth in the driver's side door, then it migrated to under the dash and centre console.

only found the source by pure chance.

turned out one of the bolts securing the wiper arm assembly lost it's nut and completely popped out.

the other bolt was also about to make a run for it...

:P

The Red Warrior

Quote from: schattenblau on March 23, 2020, 11:44:49 AM
i had a really annoying intermittent rattle in my mk5.

at times it sound like a bolt rolling back and forth in the driver's side door, then it migrated to under the dash and centre console.

only found the source by pure chance.

turned out one of the bolts securing the wiper arm assembly lost it's nut and completely popped out.

the other bolt was also about to make a run for it...

:P

Also almost had that happen too. Had a rattle that I thought was in the dash. Noticed the rattle almost went away when using the wipers. Both nuts were loose.

slowmo

I had a very annoying rattle coming from the rear of the car. I asked VW to have a look, first time they failed to hear the noise  ::) and the second time they say its probably inside my exhaust.

It only occurs when I'm decelerating - thinking maybe I buggered the CAT or something inside my exhaust is loose? Need a more caring mechanic to have a look.
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

liv

Quote from: Naekyr on March 19, 2020, 02:26:44 PM
So the GTI has developed a rattling sound that only occurs when driving over uneven surfaces, like a pothole, bump or otherwise roads where the seal has uneven wear.

The rattling only occurs above 20kmph, going slowly over uneven surfaces does not produce the noise.

It sounds like metal on metal contact, but I don't know from where it's coming. While inside with the windows up it's hard to hear the noise, with the windows down it's very easy to hear the noise.

I think it might be coming from the back of the car but I can't be certain. I can't see anything obviously hanging off or looking loose underneath so I don't know what it could be with hoisting it up, there also don't seem to be any fluids leaking anywhere.

Any ideas on what to check?

Does it come from the front of the car, and more audible when windows are down?  If so, found that to be DSG clutches in the past.
2016 Audi S4 (B9)
2019 Mercedes Benz B180 AMG (W247)