1985 MK2 Golf CL Build Thread

Started by mk2mitch, March 25, 2020, 08:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk2mitch

I've always wanted to start a build thread and breathe some life back into Vask. What better time than when with a new to me car while we're all on lockdown! I've been on the hunt for a 2 door, non-sunroof base model for years to do something crazy with and this one sort of fell into my possession when a mate decided to swap it for a GTI.

I've technically owned this car for a few months now and finally managed to pick it up just before we all got stuck inside. It's a 1985 Golf CL in mars red. It's a bit rough around the edges but the body is straight and it seems to be relatively rust free!

I didn't manage to time the rain right and got soaked loading it onto the trailer

I've already got too many cars at my flat so for now, it's going to be stored at a mates place. Unfortunately, because we're on lockdown, I'm not going to be able to start on it until we can venture out of the house so this is where she will sit for the foreseeable future.

I've spent the last few months stockpiling parts so it's a bit of a shame I can't go crack into it just yet... All will be revealed in time.
- Golf MK2 GTI
- Golf MK3 GLI
- Golf MK2 CL

brian

Great, a new build thread..........even if we will have to wait a while due to current situation
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

LouieP

Nice one! You're only isolated from people ;)
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

mk2mitch

I went to my mate's place and had a rummage through the car the other week and managed to find some old ownership papers from who I believe is the owner that de-registered it, took a look through the white pages and found a phone number so hopefully, I have a lead to get this on the road again.
Made some significate progress today and stripped out the entire interior. The back is filled of junk to go to the dump when they're less busy cause I don't want to wait half a day to get in there are their operating 1 in, 1 out.
- Golf MK2 GTI
- Golf MK3 GLI
- Golf MK2 CL

mk2mitch

I made some decent progress today. Got the subframes out ready for wide track conversion

Drove back across town to my flat to swap them with my parts car MK3 too keep it rollable.

Still got plenty so if you need any MK3 parts, hit me up!

Wide track subframes are installed back into the MK2 but it was too dark to get any pictures at that point, not that it will look much different anyways. Only issue that I ran into is the MK3 rear beam does not have a mount for the rear proportioning valve. What do people usually do to get around this? I can't seem to find much on Google.

Bonus picture comparing the front subframes showing how much more width you get.

- Golf MK2 GTI
- Golf MK3 GLI
- Golf MK2 CL

GottaMkII

Nice to see ya getting on with it bro! The Jetta still sits in the corner of the shed waiting for time and money (and other projects to get finished first) so it's great to see some mk2 builds going on!
Volkswagen Jetta CL
Audi A4 Avant Wagon
Volkswagen mk3 Cabrio
Kombi truck... in my dreams :-)

mk2mitch

Haven't done much in a few weeks as I've been getting out doing some other hobbies while the weathers been nice. I've buttoned up a couple things on the front end and been trying to plan what mix n match parts I'll get to get the steering rack sorted. Today I managed to get the rear bean back out

Brake bias valve bracket welded to the new beam

My weld's aren't the best and I was using wire that was too thin for application but I better get some plastice in before I start welding body panels. At least this one doesn't need to look pretty.

- Golf MK2 GTI
- Golf MK3 GLI
- Golf MK2 CL