2004 A3 quattro 3.2

Started by Pushbutton_auto, March 26, 2020, 04:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pushbutton_auto

a A3 has turned up in the yard, what are the main problems with them ?

Automatic  ...   :-\
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

Pushbutton_auto

What are they worth ?

looks very tidy and mint interior.

What are they worth, with issue like a timing chain (been reading up) or other issues.

What are the auto boxes like ? surely they can't be as bad as the 100/200/A8  auto trans  ...

Are these similar to that VW RS?  that Anton had, like maybe overheating problems

Going to take it out for spin tomorrow, so I guess I will pick up any pains in B  ....  >:D

Worms

It's a MK5 R32, but with a different body on.

The chain issue isn't that common on the MK5 platform cars, but can still happen. Nothing like on the 4 cylinder TSI's etc.

It's a bit of work to do, but the parts are quite cheap.

It's an 02E DSG box - they OK, but pretty clunky and slow compared to more modern versions... But you'll pretty much never find one with a manual anyway.

Mechanically, they're uncomplicated and basic really - old school as far as VW/Audi go - none of the crap that fails or causes issues on newer and/or 4 cylinder stuff from the MK5 and up platform. The car itself is fairly electronic though.

They're not a rocketship, but have piles of midrange. The torque from low rpm is pretty impressive but the top end is pretty average for the engine size, but it works well in a light car.

Pushbutton_auto

wilco

Its all about the surge and the sound pba  ;)

Pushbutton_auto

One thing I learned from the borrowed Lotus was, I be an old man who prefers comfort and speed.   8)

and how do we arrange an Aston Martin test drive  ....   >:D

Worms

Quote from: Pushbutton_auto on March 29, 2020, 12:06:36 PM
One thing I learned from the borrowed Lotus was, I be an old man who prefers comfort and speed.   8)

and how do we arrange an Aston Martin test drive  ....   >:D

One of my workmates drives an Elise AND a DB9  ;)

Pushbutton_auto

Ok got the dreaded key fob resetting sh*te.  Any ideas ...

Boot has no key entry or pushbutton, just a lift handle thingy (lol) that doesn't work , could it be all fob key related.

One write up (US) said if he crawls into the boot space he can slide something sideways to unlock the hatch ?

Or does he just reprogram the fob ? and that will fix everything  ...  :o

He only has one fob/key. 

I remember resetting the 200 and a weird post on the US site nailed it, tho no one else believed it would, but it involved 2 fobs  ... :(