Mk4 GTI?s tiptronic trouble shifting

Started by DaffaN, April 23, 2020, 02:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaffaN

Hi, first post in this forum

I recently got given a 2004 mk4 Gti 5 speed tiptronic, wasnt in the best of conditions when i first got it although it runs fine and ive done some fixes here and there. Its been a couple of months since i got it, a couple of weeks ago the transmission is having trouble shifting up to 2nd. If i warm it up for 10 minutes it will shift fine for a couple of minutes or so, revving it up to the redline also helps it shift. It has no problem if i keep it above 3rd gear, but since its NZ speed bumbs are everywhere, its impossible to do. I did a scan and p0732 showed up. Do you guys have any suggestion on what might be wrong or what to fix. The elitist at the european forums arent much help since they shame you for having an auto and just tells you to manual swap the car (this is my first car and i got it for free, so im not in the financial position to do that)

Any help is much appreciated

Ps: a list of good auto shop that are open during this lockdown would also help

the phantom

it might help with recommendations if you tell us where you are  ;)
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

superfueler

I'm no expert on auto gearboxes but perhaps a gearbox oil change might be a good first step. The viscosity of the fluid currently in there might be like water, and possibly low level as well, hence the slow change over to the next gear. Probably the less expensive first option.
Current: 2010 Audi A4 2.7 TDI silver, 2007 Audi A4 2.0T DTM sprint blue, 2007 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI BKD 4motion manual white.
Past: 2004 Golf R32 black pearlescent, 2009 Audi S3 white, 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T blue, 99 Golf mk4 GTI black, 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T black.

DaffaN

Quote from: the phantom on April 23, 2020, 03:12:57 PM
it might help with recommendations if you tell us where you are  ;)

Oh ahahha i forgot, i live in auckland, avondale to be specific

the phantom

kaspa have sites in Otahuhu and Glenfield, I know some people don't rate them, but I've had nothing but good service and the garage I trust uses them

http://kaspa.co.nz/
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

THE best by far, Auckland Automatics. No BS, just tells you what's wrong.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

DaffaN

Quote from: 80 Vert on April 24, 2020, 10:42:55 PM
THE best by far, Auckland Automatics. No BS, just tells you what's wrong.

I will check them out aswel thanks