Getting to the park light bulbs

Started by timewarrior, March 08, 2020, 01:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timewarrior

Hi Volks,

I?m having trouble getting to the park light bulbs in my Mk4 R32, the clip on the rear of the headlight is no problem to remove to get the back of the headlight unit loose but there?s no room after that to do anything with it. Any help would be appreciated, I?ve watched a dozen tutorials for the other models of Mk4 but there?s a lot more room it seems without the xenon unit, ballast etc. On the drivers side there?s barely room between the back of the headlight and washer bottle for a hand and then you can pull up because of the various connections above the unit. Passenger side there?s even less gap between the headlight and the battery cover.

Having to look at this now because previous owner installed LED park lights and they flicker non stop.
94 Golf VR6 Dusty Mauve Pearl
05 Golf GTI Diamond Black Metallic
04 Golf R32 Reflex Silver Metallic

"The more I know, the more I don't pretend to know"

stillcantplaygolf

Did mine recently as well, I just removed the entire light unit which meant the bumper had to come off. I imagine the mounting points are the same for a standard golf and a r32. If so, it's just screws under the grille, in the wheel well, under the bumper and behind the lower vents. Then just 4 bolts holding the light in. There's probably an easier way to do this but it takes less than 10 mins to get the bumper off so not that big a job! Hope that helps.

There's a good picture here for bumper bolt location;
https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/golf-mk4/body/general_body_repairs_exterior/bumper/front_bumper/removing_and_installing_bumper_cover_golf_r32/
Mk4 Golf v5
Mk3 Caddy 2.0 TDI - sold
Mk4 Golf 1.6 - rip

timewarrior

Thanks mate, I?m going to have a crack at getting this bumper off today!

timewarrior

Got the bumper off eventually, was slow going because everything feels brittle as. Most of the clips on the headlight plugs were already broken off and the ones that weren?t broke today - not too worried about those. The bulbs they sold me at Repco didn?t fit so I?m off to BNT tomorrow after work so fingers crossed I can get the right thing. The big bugger of the day was the cover on the xenon bulb housing on the passenger side only had one clip left, and although we didn?t go near it, it broke when I picked up the headlight and there?s no way to make it sit in place. Will try to order one tomorrow. Everything must just get so hot around there and plastic doesn?t last

the phantom

Quote from: timewarrior on March 15, 2020, 06:19:37 PM
Got the bumper off eventually, was slow going because everything feels brittle as. Most of the clips on the headlight plugs were already broken off and the ones that weren?t broke today - not too worried about those. The bulbs they sold me at Repco didn?t fit so I?m off to BNT tomorrow after work so fingers crossed I can get the right thing. The big bugger of the day was the cover on the xenon bulb housing on the passenger side only had one clip left, and although we didn?t go near it, it broke when I picked up the headlight and there?s no way to make it sit in place. Will try to order one tomorrow. Everything must just get so hot around there and plastic doesn?t last

that's why today's headlamps can't take higher wattage bulbs, I remember having 130 watt main beams in a (borrowed) Cressida for a magic nightime drive from Napier to Wellington
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

timewarrior

I ended up getting two new xenon covers from Speed.co.nz for about $30 each and they took a week to arrive so that was pretty good. Replaced the broken one and the other side was fine so that was good!