Thoughts of tuning mk5 GTI

Started by ch0005649, June 17, 2020, 11:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch0005649

Hello everyone, this is the first time I put some words on this forum. :D
I hope I can help guys who are thinking to tune their Rabbit. ;)
I've done tons of research including reading other forums, asking mechanics, watching the data thru the VCDS.
to sum up, I've done these mods by timeline below:

CTS cold air intake (Dec, 2018)
CTS PCV delete kit (Jan, 2019)
Resonator delete (June, 2019)
COBY resonator medium length (Oct,2019)
Aliexpress cheapo downpipe (Catless) (Dec, 2019)
NZ performance tuning stageII (Jan, 2020)
GFB DV+ (Feb, 2020)
OEM PCV kit (June, 2020)

each mods were all considered seriously and some of them are regretful.

1. CTS cold air intake
    I've searched on the internet to see what would be the most essential mods for mk5 gti. And they say the intake is a good one for the cool compressor spooling sound, pressure release noise, and also a good preparation for the tuning plan in the future. Furthermore, I could get rid of the stupid engine cover that it need to be removed(not as easy as pulling off) just to check things under the cover. I do not regret this mod. a must do mod.

Performance: no change (only if ecu remapped)
Sound: (compressor spooling sound, Diverter valve pressure release sound) x10 louder than stock

2. CTS PCV delete kit
    this mod was done right after a few months I purchased my gti. I was having issue of rough idle on this car and visited the tune shop in Henderson. they found the problem in 5 mins and said you might want the PCV delete to prevent the issue for ever. Since the PCV delete kit has no mechanical structure(blocked all valves except the hole for the oil filter) and it's made my aluminum. The only cons of PCV delete was emission when it's stock(which VAG guys care emission?). On this stage, problem solved.

Performance: no change
Sound: no change

3. Resonator delete
    this mod was the most regretful one. Indeed it's cool that the crackle and poping sound is loud enough to hear in your seats. And crackles are damn awesome in public car parks, but the cold start is kind of harsh to hear. It is loud as neighbors would hate you, and your girlfriend would not like the drone noise coming from bottom. Well.....I didn't care since I didn't have a girlfriend. >:D

Sound: middle, low tone louder. strong drone. crackles and pops

4. COBY resonator medium length
    after driving for a few months, I realized that I'm kinda a pathetic ricer that there was no any performance improvement but only the noise. So I decided to set goal for stage II tune, needed a downpipe, ecu remap. However, the resonator delete is already loud enough and didn't want to be a more "ricer". A thicker DP produces louder and more aggressive sound is a common knowledge. So I had to find someone to weld the resonator back for me. The COBY (NZ brand) was a nice one that it's a straight type resonator unlike the factory one was chamber type, which means better flow in the exhaust. And not that quiet like the factory one(about 60% quite). I could still hear the crackle but no drone and no gross cold start. the resonator was $120. good mod IMO.

Sound: no drone, but crackle and pops still alive

5. Aliexpress cheapo downpipe(Catless)
    This one was the funniest one. Those branded downpipes such as CTS, Miltek, Unitronic are like $1000 bucks and I didn't really want to spent that much. and I've heard the material itself is not that different between them. the biggest diff was the accuracy of the shape. I purchased the Chinese DP from Aliexpress for about $150+tax+shipment = $270.
    Then I brought the DP to a random local muffler shop to fit them. They said because it's a cheap one, it might not fit easily while they had experience that miltek fits perfectly and cheap one needs to be heated and re-shape it. So you will see the labour increasing. After all, they spent about 2.5 hours to heat it and twist it & cut and weld some part of the DP. I kinda feel sorry for them. cuz only their boss is getting most of the money. As a result, the DP is working really well until now. no gas leaks, no rust. I guess the material itself really doesn't make so much difference than expensive ones. totally costed me no more than $500

Performance: no change (only if ecu remapped)
Sound: loud as resonator delete again but not that rough. drone a little in an acceptable range. crackle and pops even stronger. turbine spooling sound able to hear outside.

6. NZ performance tuning stageII
    I had driven the car for a month without a tune and of course CEL showed up. I prepared some money during the Christmas and was waiting for the tune shop to start their business after their holidays. To sum up first, ECU tune is a MUST MUST MUST do mod for the mk5 gti. every generation of GTI is getting faster now. mk7 is making 380nm torque stock while I had to tune it to reach it. Anyway, it is a big change. torque coming from 4000rpm is incomparable than stock. It totally got about 120nm torque improvement.
and to boost pressure is reading 22psi from the gauge. But it is true it makes some turbo lag now.

Performance: Massive
Sound: a little more aggressive

7. GFB DV+
    OK....the factory revision C diverter valve was failing, making whispering noise in full throttle. that means boost leak. Perhaps the rubber couldn't resist the boost pressure of stg 2. So I've heard some pros and cons of DV+. I would sum up both effects.
Pros:
made by aluminum (last forever unless your turbo explode)
holds boost better (official website says up to 50 psi)
the "optional spring" will make it hold minor boost right after releasing throttle (better shifting experience or re-acceleration).
Cons:
It needs to be lubricated by every oil change. (mk5 dv valve is under the car while mk6,7 are on the hood and easy)
The aluminum is solid, but the O ring and rubber parts are not. they need to be replaced someday

I have try without the spring at first and now fitted with the spring.
Sound: with spring: appropriate release sound
           without spring: excessive air noise 

8. PCV Valve
Important
Do not use PCV delete if you are tuning your car
    it is not about emission. only black smoke and smell is coming out randomly. that not a big deal.
the problem came after a few months the car was tuned.
Engine oil starts leaking from the oil fill cap. and there were vapor coming out when I open the cap after a drive.
With tons of research, I found out that the block plate of the PCV delete was blocking air passing through the crankcase so it's making pressure in the crankcase. And that pressure is pushing oil out of the cap! Not only the oil leaking is the problem. the continuous pressure in the crankcase might damage the engine. Like mine, it was misfiring during cold start and red light.
but after the OEM PCV re-installation, all problem solved.

Sound: no change 

These are the knowledge I have found in the internet and experiences myself.
some of them are trail and error
but this car is a really fun car to play with it's drive-ability and mechanical.
2014 RS7
2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6
2006 Golf mk5 GTI stage 2  (Sold)

The Red Warrior

Nice write up.  :)
My Mk5 is APR stage 2+. I?m running a CTS Tuning downpipe (sourced from Glidn on this forum). I deleted the suitcase muffler at one point for a few weeks and then put it back on. Goodness knows why I did it in the first place as I don?t actually want a noisy car.
Do you plan on doing any handling mods now that you?ve got increased power?

ch0005649

Quote from: The Red Warrior on June 18, 2020, 08:14:22 PM
Nice write up.  :)
My Mk5 is APR stage 2+. I?m running a CTS Tuning downpipe (sourced from Glidn on this forum). I deleted the suitcase muffler at one point for a few weeks and then put it back on. Goodness knows why I did it in the first place as I don?t actually want a noisy car.
Do you plan on doing any handling mods now that you?ve got increased power?

yeah German vehicles are kinda noisy when they are resonator or muffler deleted. I was told by a guy who's working in a muffler shop.
I think we should never "straight-pipe" any cars unless they are just as fast as a real race car. I mean cars we could see on WRC, GT races. Otherwise it looks quite funny when it makes the same volume like a race car but moves so slow. People won't be pleasured by our "riced" car sound.

I am thinking about steering wheel for better grip. And since I'm not so wealthy, I do not consider any suspension related works on my GTI. It's even more expensive than the tune to replace some coil lovers or alloy wheels.
But I do think of Brakes. It's even hard to stop the car now lol. Too small. perhaps brake units from a wrecked R32 will work fine.
2014 RS7
2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6

The Red Warrior

I?ve changed to the multi function steering wheel from a Mk6 GTI. It?s a lot nicer than the Mk5 plus my original wheel wasn?t a multi function one.
I also upgraded the brakes. I went with the NQSBBK. It uses the original discs but uses the 4 pot calipers from a Porsche Boxster. The feel is the same normally, but when slowing from high speed you can feel there is plenty more in reserve. Decent tyres are needed though.

ch0005649

Quote from: The Red Warrior on June 22, 2020, 02:18:50 PM
I?ve changed to the multi function steering wheel from a Mk6 GTI. It?s a lot nicer than the Mk5 plus my original wheel wasn?t a multi function one.
I also upgraded the brakes. I went with the NQSBBK. It uses the original discs but uses the 4 pot calipers from a Porsche Boxster. The feel is the same normally, but when slowing from high speed you can feel there is plenty more in reserve. Decent tyres are needed though.

oh that sounds nice for the mk6 steering wheel, does the buttons work?

I'm thinking those blue calipers from R32 will look very nice for my blue GTI, or do you think it would look like a smurf?

And I'm now using Bridgestone Potenza re003 at the front wheels.
It does a good job for faster corner driving. But still pointless for low speed acceleration with a FWD. wheel spin like hell. And performance tyres decrease our fuel consumption and comfort. And it lasts only about 25k kms. Need to fit on cheaper one next time. :-\ the only answer is AWD or well tuned RWD I presume.
2014 RS7
2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6

The Red Warrior

All buttons work except the left/right buttons on the RHS as I don?t have the full height (Highline) multi function display. It?s nice having the button that acts as the ?Ask Siri? function which links to the upgraded stereo with CarPlay.

I don?t think the calipapers will look out of place so long as the blues match. My Porsche calipers are red (as is my car) but then GTI calipers are red in the first place.

I don?t get any wheel spin now unless I dump the clutch and don?t manage to throttle. I used to get a lot along with lots of tramping but not now. However, that?s after changing to coil overs, dogbone insert, aftermarket pendulum mount, front wishbone anti lift kit and mostly an LSD.

ch0005649

Quote from: The Red Warrior on June 22, 2020, 06:06:23 PM
All buttons work except the left/right buttons on the RHS as I don?t have the full height (Highline) multi function display. It?s nice having the button that acts as the ?Ask Siri? function which links to the upgraded stereo with CarPlay.

I don?t think the calipapers will look out of place so long as the blues match. My Porsche calipers are red (as is my car) but then GTI calipers are red in the first place.

I don?t get any wheel spin now unless I dump the clutch and don?t manage to throttle. I used to get a lot along with lots of tramping but not now. However, that?s after changing to coil overs, dogbone insert, aftermarket pendulum mount, front wishbone anti lift kit and mostly an LSD.
Oh that sounds nice.....how much about did you spend on those kits?
2014 RS7
2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6

The Red Warrior

Ummm, only going by memory here so...
Bilstein B12 coilovers, $350 used. But then had to get cert as well.
Anti lift kit $250?
LSD $750
Pendulum mount, dunno. Check out the one by ECS Tuning as that what I bought.
Dogbone insert, $50?

All done over a few years though. And everything installed myself so that cuts down the cost considerably. Haven?t done any performance mods in ages. Just interior stuff and daily driving really.

But if I had to pick the two best mods then that?s easy. Stage 1 tune (not that I?m on stage 1 anymore) and the Mk6 steering wheel.

ch0005649

I would like to fit on the Dogbone for the wheel hops. any recommended brands?
steering wheel perhaps not for me.... :-\

anything you think has the best value for tyre grip?
2014 RS7
2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6

GLIDN

Quote from: ch0005649 on June 24, 2020, 10:57:10 AM
I would like to fit on the Dogbone for the wheel hops. any recommended brands?
steering wheel perhaps not for me.... :-\

anything you think has the best value for tire grip?

for Grip
get an anti-lift kit, and upgrade engine mounts with dogbone insert.

As for tires, switch to Michelin PS4. Huge improvement over the RE003. Less wheelspin too.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

ch0005649

Quote from: GLIDN on June 24, 2020, 11:34:31 AM
for Grip
get an anti-lift kit, and upgrade engine mounts with dogbone insert.

As for tires, switch to Michelin PS4. Huge improvement over the RE003. Less wheelspin too.

Thanks for the inputs!
2014 RS7
2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6

Techno

Thanks for this post @ch0005649

It really helps someone like me who's just starting out.

ch0005649

Quote from: Techno on July 09, 2020, 07:42:05 PM
Thanks for this post @ch0005649

It really helps someone like me who's just starting out.

yeah man glad I could help.
ask me at any time
2014 RS7
2008 Audi TT 3.2 VR6

dummer

Quote from: The Red Warrior on June 23, 2020, 05:47:21 PM
Ummm, only going by memory here so...
Bilstein B12 coilovers, $350 used. But then had to get cert as well.
Anti lift kit $250?
LSD $750
Pendulum mount, dunno. Check out the one by ECS Tuning as that what I bought.
Dogbone insert, $50?

Where did you get the LSD and what brand is it?

The Red Warrior

Quote from: dummer on July 27, 2020, 02:30:12 PM
Where did you get the LSD and what brand is it?

M Power and direct from them. $750 from memory including shipping but didn?t get charged any gst when it arrived. Shipping was only a few days too. 
But the price for a DSG version is a bit more I think.