Projekt Golf Zwei

Started by 80 Vert, June 28, 2020, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

le mans

Oozing with retro goodness!

spooln

Went for a zap with Vert today in this car. He is right in that any more power this the mk2 chassis would be unable to handle as its on the edge of being crushed every time the loud pedal is pressed.  A normal mk2 is tame by comparison. Easy to see why he likes it so much.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

80 Vert

Although my interior is sort of finished I'd ideally like better door and 1/4 cards so while in Wellington earlier this year I called in and saw Lane for a few parts I needed.
As usual he had everything I was after and had his last set of Golf 3 door panels and 1/4 cards , now or never so bought those off him.
They are non GTI plain jane ones which are actually better because the boards are plastic, not that compressed cardboard crap mine are.
Plan is to use the same green plaid for the inserts, leather on top and the rest plain black material with some red accent stitching.
The plastic dividing strips on my cards are all cracked and broken, one reason I wanted to do new ones. Did a lot of research on something I could use as a break between the different materials and came up with Aluminium trim.
Had to cut, bend, shape it in to trims to fit each panel pretty accurately and then devise a way to attach it.
Bought a hide of leather for the job so I'm well and truly committed now.

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

80 Vert

Been a while since an update but fact is I'd run out of material! Caught up to where the car is at now.
I have been chipping away at the new interior panels as well as finding a bunch more rare NOS parts such as new Hella front bumper fogs, Hella smoked tails
and some unobtanium door glass seals (totally stoked to find those actually)
They are all still at my parents place in Germany but will end up here once I actually need them.
As I said I wanted to incorporate a red stitch in the door cards and after trying a bunch of things that didn't work I've settled on this.
The original plan was to sew all the pieces together and glue down but it became evident very quickly that was going to be beyond my capability so I've settled on doing it in 3 pieces glued down separately.
Top will be black leather, this will then be separated by the aluminium strips.

brian

That looks great.....maybe there is a place for you sewing interiors for Audi
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

80 Vert

More progress, and progress I'm actually happy with.
Finished one of the rear cards apart from painting the aluminium trims, its a pity I have to paint them but the anodizing is damaged from having to shape, file and sand the trims to fit the profile of the card.
Its been a very challenging process and still have 3 more to do, these are going to take some time.
On the lower part I did a single red top stitch and glued this down, the lower section is also foam backed giving it a softer feel.
The top part I went with black leather to add a bit of class (if that's possible with a Mk2 Golf)
Then test fitted both trims to see how it ties it all together, certainly a vast improvement over the last set and a lot more like what I was thinking from the beginning.

80 Vert

Continuing with the interior panels and next up are the door cards, as I suspected these are much harder to do and also I cannot make any mistakes as the green plaid and black material has all but run out.
There's only just enough to finish what I need to do so if I screw up measuring something I'm well and truly stuck.
The black cloth is old stock my upholsterer had and matches my seats perfectly, measure 5x and cut once is the order of the day.
Lots of issues with the sewing machine so had to unpick things a few times but persistence prevailed again, one more left to make.

brian

Very nice, looking forward to see pics of the finished car
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

coons

Those look ace John - good work!

80 Vert

Last door card, it's been fun and I've really enjoyed it but its time to knock this on the head and be done with them.
Made a couple of simple templates to ensure at least some symmetry left to right, not perfect but close enough.
The last thing to do is all the alloy trim, not sure yet if I'll paint them silver or take all the anodising off and do a brushed finish then clear coat them.
Think I'll do a couple test pieces and see what comes out best, getting the anodising off is probably going to be the most hassle.

gti vr6

Love that green tartan, nice work John.
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

80 Vert

Last few bits on the interior cards, strip the anodising off and clear coat them.  Oven cleaner has caustic in it which is great for attacking anodising but still takes a few applications.
Then cleaned the aluminium with steel wool so that it has a brushed look, clear coat with automotive clear and job done.
Once these are dry enough and installed the 4 panels are 100% done.

Started uncovering some previous quality work on the body as well, lefts save $10 on clips and urethane the door mouldings on, looks like a bunch of the attachment points are broken so I'll either need to find others or try and repair what I have already.

80 Vert

Time to start major work on reviving the exterior, plan is to totally strip it and have it painted.
Sticking with the original Caprigruen, its had many questionable repairs over the years which will need to be investigated / taken back to bare metal.
I'm not going to bare metal the whole thing, rather use the existing paint on it to block it straight and then fix the areas needed.
I'll be doing some of the body work, repairing any rust I find along the way and obviously taking it apart and reassembling it.
As the underside and engine bay are already finished and together I do not want over spray on these areas so mask mask mask everything up, multiple times at that due to the various stages of primer.
Disassembly begins, everything is coming apart.

Been working with this awesome PDR guy for a while now, absolutely awesome talent. Had him come round and spent half a day getting a bunch of damage out.
Not as easy on older cars as the steel has no memory / spring so it takes a different skill to work with it.
I'd already started sanding this side with 120 grit paper, its plenty wobbly and needs lots of work.

80 Vert

Bought a variety of Durablocks last time I was in the States as these seem to be the go to tool to get things straight.
The sandpaper comes on a roll and is self adhesive, I'm starting out on the flat panels with 120 grit so that it cuts through the high spots.
I'm no body work expert so all of this is trial and error, have painted plenty of cars over the years but never really know of any of it is correct or not.
Keeping the glass in for now to minimise dust and crap getting in to the interior, very dirty job in a shop not set up for sanding dust but trying to keep on top of it by vacuuming as often as I can.
To complicate matters further I want to eliminate panel roll in at the edges where door meets fender and door meets rear 1/4, panel fit needs to be on point to avoid loads of filler which you don't want on door edges.

To achieve this I'm just moving the edges of the doors the small amounts needed with a hammer, running the block across the surfaces shows me which areas are low or a small straight edge across in some places.
The body swage lines are all over the place as well, some repaired some badly aligned. All needs to be fixed.

I always knew the left rear corner had been hit and the panel join was full of filler, also had some rust under the filler pushing out so all of it needs to come off. Was able to hammer / dolly the panel back so that it only needs a tiny amount of lows to be filled.
Re sealed the seam as its supposed to be.

le mans

Appreciate the updates John!

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Back to regular program and Sunday updates, Thanks to Cindy I have more material  :laugh:

80 Vert

There I was working away on a Saturday doing some more body work. In the week prior you could just feel it in the air, a lockdown was coming I felt and an ideal opportunity to do some solid work on Project Zwei if it were to happen but I was missing a lot of the materials I would need to do a job I wasn't planning to do myself.
On Monday I thought, I'll get everything I need......I didn't. Then Tuesday the 17th happened and Cindy was on TV blabbing about one Delta case, as I'm watching I'm thinking first thing tomorrow morning I'm going to Manukau to pick up what I need.
Wrong, by the end of the news story of course we went in to lockdown that night!! Now what...
Called my usual supplier as he's mobile but as guessed, nope closed under Level 4. Great.
Got a tip off from a friend about someone on-line and as it turns out this company has been A-MA-zing at supplying everything I've needed so far in the last 6-7 orders placed during level 4. Project Zwei continues.....

Anyway back to the Saturday prior to lockdown.
Having block sanded what I could with 120 grit you could begin to see how wobbly this old thing was.  Both rear side windows were taken out and to my complete surprise only the drivers side frame had a tiny bit of rust to weld up.
So minor that the hole could just be welded, didn't even need to cut anything out. Happy days.
Windows out, masked up the window holes to keep the dust out of the interior, more work this way but I prefer keeping things as clean as I can.
Even though its had some repairs over its lifetime its in pretty amazing rust free condition, no gaping holes anywhere and repairs done are probably in keeping with std insurance jobs done at the time.

80 Vert

By now with lockdown in full effect I'm at work doing my normal work day but on my own car instead!! Amazing what you can get done with no distractions or phone calls.
Doing 40-50 hour weeks quite easily without trying too hard, big push on to get that first prime done and thankfully the on line paint supply shop had come through with the materials I'd ordered.
They sent a PPG epoxy surfacer that can go over bare metal and its also a filler primer eliminating the need for multiple products.
The doors were quite a struggle for me and are still not perfect, just in pretty poor shape and having previous repairs on them but thankfully no rust.

Having no sanding machines I'm doing everything by hand with sanding blocks, takes ages doing it the hard way but it also hugely reduces the amount of dust flying around the place.
Roof feels not too bad, little dent by the sunroof but was able to pull that up with a glue puller and block it out.
Getting close now to primer, quite a journey to get to this point, not just a simple scuff and shoot.