Author Topic: Projekt Golf Zwei  (Read 2980 times)

Offline LouieP

Re: Projekt Golf Zwei
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2020, 08:01:11 pm »

::) I scrolled up and down like a muppet. Thanks Rambo. Would like to see what you did to get rid of the sloppy shifter
2014 MK7 Golf GTI - PW
1996 MK3 Golf VR6 - BMP

Offline 80 Vert

• only milk and juice comes in 2 litres
  • ####
  • All thats left to do is everything!
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2020, 08:28:05 pm »
I machined new bushes out of nylon but have since biffed that shifter box and updated it with a mk4 one.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Offline 80 Vert

• ####
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 10:12:03 am »
The headliner now resembling something useable it could finally go back in the car. 2 of the grab handles were missing as well but lucky Rambo005 had spares so got those from him as well as some other interior bits I was missing.
The headliner isn't perfect but considering what I started with I'm extremely satisfied with the outcome.
the material I used is the same foam backed material as what's used on mk5/6 GTI sourced locally.

With the worst job done, or so I thought. My attention turned towards the door cards. Hmmm not good news there either.
Door membranes not attached properly meant the boards were soggy at the bottom, effectively ruining them.
Decision made, rip all the material off and try to salvage the boards.
The boards themselves are quite warped in places but nothing I can really do about that. The bottom 3" was just mush as these things are pretty much compressed cardboard so when they get water logged they just fall apart.

2 part epoxy resin seemed to soak in quite well and putting bulldog clips on while drying seems to have glued them back together somewhat. took ages to reconstruct the corners and bottom edge in to something useable.
Once the basic shape was there coarse sandpaper to straighten things up and then a few coats of resin on the entire bottom half of the panel.
Came across a funky green tartan I wanted to use on the Recaro seats and thought it would tie in well if it was on the door cards as well. Keeping the car the original Caprigruen so green tartan fits the build well I think.
Im still not quite done with them as I want to incorporate probably a red stitch of some kind somewhere but that will come later.

Rear panels done in the same vane, much better condition so much less work.
Very slowly the interior is starting to come together.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:18:51 am by 80 Vert »

Offline brian

• ##
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 11:18:10 am »
That looks brilliant
V̶W̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶o̶ ̶1̶.̶6̶  Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI

Offline McDoof

• #
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 03:43:16 pm »
Very nice.
I remember trying to negotiate to buy that same golf a few years ago, but the seller wanted too much money for the condition of the car. Great to see it's getting a proper vert makeover.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion

Offline gti vr6

• ##
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 06:12:46 pm »
Nice work John, looks smick!
1979 Mk1 GTI
2014 Amarok 4motion HL

Offline 80 Vert

• ####
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2020, 10:22:26 am »
Gearbox time, with the spare gearbox completely stripped and cleaned the cases got hit with aluminium cleaner which has brought them up really nice, taking off the years of crap and grime but of course raw aluminium never stays that way so I've put an etch type of 2 pack paint over them.
Used OBX diffs in the past with no issues at all and looked to do the same again this time but prices of them have gone up soo much and once you add shipping I wasn't crazy far off the likes of a Pelloquin or Wavetrac so in the end a Wavetrac as ordered along with a set of ARP ring gear bolts.
Everything looked pretty good inside so it was mainly replacing the critical bearings on the main shaft, diff bearings and re shimming the pre loads on everything.
Used a 9N2 Polo shift tower so that I could use a late MK4 shifter box and cables.

Within reason this completed the engine and gearbox to a point, few more things to do but it really was a wait till the car came off the road for the swap to begin so I shifted my attention to the seats.
Wanted to use the same green tartan on the seats, fortunately the car already had front and rear MK3 Recaros in it so that's one less thing to go and find.
Took the seats completely apart and of course the usual bolster wear to fix up from years of in and out.
Got some foam from my upholsterer mate and got to work shaping it with an air sander......VERY messy job!
Cut the stitching to release the centre panels of the seats so that those could be used as patterns for the new material.
Decided I would wash what was left of the covers which on reflection was a mistake as everything got horribly twisted and quite a bit of edge fraying.
I should in hindsight have washed the whole thing and then cut them apart. In any case it came right but wasn't as straight forward as it could have been.
Got the bolsters nice and tight so pretty happy with that, embroidery done the first centre panel went in. Pretty excited at this point. The green won't be for everyone but I absolutely LOVE it.

Had a bit more of a fight with the bases, taking the cover off a few times to add more foam here and there but over all they came out pretty good for a home job. pretty stoked actually.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:27:36 am by 80 Vert »

Offline 80 Vert

• ####
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2020, 10:20:11 am »
Being fairly useable now I was driving it most days running errands and what ever else came up, strong smell of fuel at times I found the fuel return to the tank in the engine bay didn't even have a hose clip on it. How this thing managed to pass a modified vehicle cert is beyond me but of course these things could have changed post cert. who knows.

Talking to GTIVR6 one day he mentioned having an early VR6 / Corrado steering wheel which I thought would look cool. It had seen plenty of action and the leather was worn through on top but that would make a nice side project and besides I've always wanted to have a go at doing a steering wheel.
Cut the old cover off and separated all the pieces to use as a pattern. My upholsterer mate laughed when I told him what I was doing but he was on board to help with scrap pieces of leather and to sew them together for me. Leather is pretty tough so you really need an industrial machine.

Watched a few videos and one suggested using a sewing machine to pierce the holes for sewing the cover around the wheel, this actually worked brilliantly and made the cross stitch miles easier to do. Kind of chose the wrong type of stitch as it took forever, as in 8-10 hours  ;D
I didn't get the pattern perfect but hey its my first go at it so I'll improve on the next one.

The easy part done I could start on the cross stitch, bought some curved needles for the job which worked well........just took forever.
Looks like I've picked one of the harder stitches to do, 2 needle cross stitch. Having to go back through the same hole twice in order to make the X but I did it, looks cool.
Feeling pretty jazzed at this point, thinking this will actually all work.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:22:21 am by 80 Vert »

Offline le mans

• #
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 06:56:56 pm »
Looks awesome John.