Author Topic: Projekt Golf Zwei  (Read 6927 times)

Offline slowburn

• #
  • how many is too many?
Re: Projekt Golf Zwei
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2020, 04:25:30 pm »
def still reading
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Offline Worms

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2020, 09:01:48 am »
... if anyone is still reading this!

If the forum software wasn't so crap/antiquated/broken, there'd be a buttload of "Likes" to tell you we're still reading and interested  8)

Offline signalh

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2020, 09:22:16 am »
Still reading.....and very grateful to all those who contribute their time and imagery to keep the rest of us entertained.  Thanks!!

Offline le mans

• ##
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2020, 10:45:12 am »
Also following with interest!

Offline the phantom

• ##
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2020, 10:56:04 am »
meticulous, as always
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Offline brian

• ##
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2020, 11:35:47 am »
Silent follower
V̶W̶ ̶P̶o̶l̶o̶ ̶1̶.̶6̶  Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI

Offline 80 Vert

• only milk and juice comes in 2 litres
  • ####
  • All thats left to do is everything!
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2020, 11:08:07 am »
Cheers fellas, looks like the forum isn't dead yet!
Anyway, the turbo......That was really the next port of call. Engine out again and the only way to make this work was to cut the outlet off the turbo and re position it to clear the chassis rail.

Below that you can see the work in progress of the rear engine mount using existing mounting holes in the block.
With the outlet cut off it was more or less a matter of rotating the outlet fitting 180 deg and tig welding it back on. Also relocated the boost solenoid at that fouls on the chassis rail as well. Its all pretty tight in there but just enough room is just that!
Nice to be able to retain the factory quick dis connect fitting for the intercooler pipe. While doing the fabrication I really tried to think about how this would come apart if I needed to work on it down the track. Often things are built in a way where its a nightmare to take apart later on.

With that situation resolved I just moved on to the next problem, the radiator fans.
The ECU will throw a wobbly if it cant see the fan control unit and on mk5/6 that's in the main fan so somehow I'd have to use it but the diameter was far too big. (I would end up redesigning the whole thing later on due to A/C issues)
Started looking at other fan blades from Mk4 and ended up finding a smaller blade that I modified to fit the mk6 fan motor and that also rotated the correct way, in all a huge amount of wasted time here since I'd end up re visiting this.
The two fans fit the radiator well size wise and looked like this was a winner....for now.

I designed a new fan shroud and had a local shop make it from Aluminium, they have a large press brake that can fold pretty tight complex edges where as my folder is more of a simple right angle type of machine.
Bit of trimming for the Mk4 drier and radiator hose fitting it fit like a glove.
At this point the radiator, condenser and shroud were taking shape and I had just enough room to stuff it all in there, the A/C turned out to be a huge headache in the end and most would have to just left it out but summer is hot and I need A/C  >:D
No compromises around here.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Offline 80 Vert

• ####
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2020, 05:16:47 pm »
By now its early December and Christmas is just around the corner. Some of these issues have really eaten in to my fabrication time and doing 40-50 hour weeks on the project is seeing little forward progress at times.
Fan shroud made and fitting on the radiator I cut some holes in it and cleaned those up, made some simple stainless braces to attach the fan motors to the shroud.
Since the main fan has the fan control unit inside it its quite a bit bigger so I had to make a ring that I welded to the shroud to fill the large gap between the blade and shroud.

Little did I know at this point I'd be re visiting all of this but for now it gave me a more or less completed cooling pack to fit in the car and start thinking about an intercooler. Things were looking mighty tight in there, had to make a coolant pipe to route one of the hoses downwards and under the front engine / gearbox mount to the bottom of the radiator and the other one up to the top without getting in the way of the charge pipe.
A/C hose fouls on the slave fan but a simple bracket off the shroud will keep that from doing any harm.

I already bought a 350hp capable intercooler quite early on so that would be the next job. I really had to get a move on to make the IC piping if there was any hope of getting them coated before the holiday shut down.
Looked like this would work ok, bolted to the slam panel with the lower support cut away to enable the IC to sit as close to the condenser as possible so that the bumper would fit. Plan was to replace the lower slam panel support with the intercooler.
Now the intercooler also acts as the lower slam panel support which seems to work really well.
Had to drop the IC down a bit to make the pipes work better and more so for bumper fitment, there's been very minimal cutting needed on the bumper. Just a nip here and a tuck there.

Offline the phantom

• ##
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2020, 11:29:19 pm »
December? is this work not current?
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Offline rambo_005

• Administrator
  • ####
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2020, 04:14:25 am »
December? is this work not current?

Vert is driving around in this now.

He was working on my Mk2 when he first picked this one up... I may have inspired him somewhat :D

Offline 80 Vert

• ####
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2020, 06:09:06 pm »
Correct, building Cam's VR6 MK2 made me really want a mk2 again hence buying UU9774.
Kept it all pretty quiet till it ran and drove 😅

Offline slowburn

• #
  • how many is too many?
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 08:10:42 pm »
one day when i have enough coin i am going to get you to work your magic on my b2 coupe quattro....love your attention to detail. the poor old thing needs a mild rebuild, smarting up
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon