slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

Worms

Quote from: 80 Vert on September 06, 2020, 10:52:10 AM
... if anyone is still reading this!

If the forum software wasn't so crap/antiquated/broken, there'd be a buttload of "Likes" to tell you we're still reading and interested  8)

signalh

Still reading.....and very grateful to all those who contribute their time and imagery to keep the rest of us entertained.  Thanks!!

le mans

Also following with interest!

the phantom

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

80 Vert

Cheers fellas, looks like the forum isn't dead yet!
Anyway, the turbo......That was really the next port of call. Engine out again and the only way to make this work was to cut the outlet off the turbo and re position it to clear the chassis rail.

Below that you can see the work in progress of the rear engine mount using existing mounting holes in the block.
With the outlet cut off it was more or less a matter of rotating the outlet fitting 180 deg and tig welding it back on. Also relocated the boost solenoid at that fouls on the chassis rail as well. Its all pretty tight in there but just enough room is just that!
Nice to be able to retain the factory quick dis connect fitting for the intercooler pipe. While doing the fabrication I really tried to think about how this would come apart if I needed to work on it down the track. Often things are built in a way where its a nightmare to take apart later on.

With that situation resolved I just moved on to the next problem, the radiator fans.
The ECU will throw a wobbly if it cant see the fan control unit and on mk5/6 that's in the main fan so somehow I'd have to use it but the diameter was far too big. (I would end up redesigning the whole thing later on due to A/C issues)
Started looking at other fan blades from Mk4 and ended up finding a smaller blade that I modified to fit the mk6 fan motor and that also rotated the correct way, in all a huge amount of wasted time here since I'd end up re visiting this.
The two fans fit the radiator well size wise and looked like this was a winner....for now.

I designed a new fan shroud and had a local shop make it from Aluminium, they have a large press brake that can fold pretty tight complex edges where as my folder is more of a simple right angle type of machine.
Bit of trimming for the Mk4 drier and radiator hose fitting it fit like a glove.
At this point the radiator, condenser and shroud were taking shape and I had just enough room to stuff it all in there, the A/C turned out to be a huge headache in the end and most would have to just left it out but summer is hot and I need A/C  >:D
No compromises around here.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

80 Vert

By now its early December and Christmas is just around the corner. Some of these issues have really eaten in to my fabrication time and doing 40-50 hour weeks on the project is seeing little forward progress at times.
Fan shroud made and fitting on the radiator I cut some holes in it and cleaned those up, made some simple stainless braces to attach the fan motors to the shroud.
Since the main fan has the fan control unit inside it its quite a bit bigger so I had to make a ring that I welded to the shroud to fill the large gap between the blade and shroud.

Little did I know at this point I'd be re visiting all of this but for now it gave me a more or less completed cooling pack to fit in the car and start thinking about an intercooler. Things were looking mighty tight in there, had to make a coolant pipe to route one of the hoses downwards and under the front engine / gearbox mount to the bottom of the radiator and the other one up to the top without getting in the way of the charge pipe.
A/C hose fouls on the slave fan but a simple bracket off the shroud will keep that from doing any harm.

I already bought a 350hp capable intercooler quite early on so that would be the next job. I really had to get a move on to make the IC piping if there was any hope of getting them coated before the holiday shut down.
Looked like this would work ok, bolted to the slam panel with the lower support cut away to enable the IC to sit as close to the condenser as possible so that the bumper would fit. Plan was to replace the lower slam panel support with the intercooler.
Now the intercooler also acts as the lower slam panel support which seems to work really well.
Had to drop the IC down a bit to make the pipes work better and more so for bumper fitment, there's been very minimal cutting needed on the bumper. Just a nip here and a tuck there.

the phantom

December? is this work not current?
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

rambo_005

Quote from: the phantom on September 20, 2020, 11:29:19 PM
December? is this work not current?

Vert is driving around in this now.

He was working on my Mk2 when he first picked this one up... I may have inspired him somewhat :D

80 Vert

Correct, building Cam's VR6 MK2 made me really want a mk2 again hence buying UU9774.
Kept it all pretty quiet till it ran and drove 😅

slowburn

one day when i have enough coin i am going to get you to work your magic on my b2 coupe quattro....love your attention to detail. the poor old thing needs a mild rebuild, smarting up
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

80 Vert

Wheels are always exciting right? Got a call from Pro Coat to say my rims were ready so promptly went and picked those up and dropped them at Tyretech on my way back to get new Michelin PS3 tyres fitted that they had been holding for me for several weeks.
A vast improvement I'm sure from the Chinese Minerva tyres that were on those wheels when I got the car.
Still center caps to make but this is a great start to make it a roller again.

Finished off the driver side intercooler pipe as well, messed about for ages with the intercooler to throttle body but got there with a combination of MK6 and custom pipe with a mounting block welded on for the MAP sensor.
It only just clears the main radiator fan as it runs directly in front of it.
In fact its SO tight I had to cut a chunk off the gear selector weight just to make it all clear.
Although behind schedule, Really feeling like getting to the paint stage is creeping closer

One of the last major fabrication things left is the exhaust, I HATE doing exhausts  >:D Mainly because I have shaky hands so my tig welding sucks and I don't have a band saw to cut pipe squarely so fitting things to have little to no gaps is always challenging.
I bought a NZ made Adrenalin resonator as Id used one on the Ghia and I was really impressed with it. For the rear muffler I wanted a single in and dual out.
After looking at all sorts of stuff on TM I really couldn't find anything I liked so I contacted Adrenalin to see what they had. They didn't have anything on the shelf but said we could make you something?
I really needed something right away to be able to carry on so the guy said ok, we'll make it today and ship it out tomorrow.......and they did!!! How good is that!

Also bought a couple off stainless V bands off them to have one at the front on the down pipe and one at the muffler so the whole thing comes apart really easy.
Id scored a 3" stainless mk5 downpipe to cut up and the rest of the bends are from left over stainless exhausts I've collected over the years.
Cut off all of the Mk2 hangers and changed them all over to far better mk4/mk5 ones. Benefits of wrecking cars and hoarding junk.
Using the short flexi at the front off the 3" downpipe and also using its high flow cat.

Rear box on I really wanted tail pipes that are in keeping with how they were originally angled on a 16V.
The tail pipes were 2" but I'd later change these to 2 1/4" to fill the cut out in the bumper more and suit it much better.
Exhaust mig tacked together I had a professional welder tig weld it for me. Did an amazing job despite my pretty average pipe fitting skills. Super happy.

80 Vert

New Michelins mounted, just center caps to repair. Thankfully all 4 nuts and center plates were there, those would be near impossible to replace now.
I'd ordered a set of Work caps but they are smaller diameter than the hole in the cap nut so I'd have to machine something for all of that to work.

The Mk6 clutch cylinder finally arrived so that would be the last fabrication job left to do, time to strip out the engine bay and finally remove absolutely everything and that mess of wiring that was constantly in my way when fitting the engine.
Everything out I modified the original mk2 pedal box on the bench and placed the clutch cylinder exactly where I wanted it on the firewall. This way I could also make sure it had its full range of motion for the push rod.
The clutch cylinder has the clutch switch as part of it which the ecu wants to see, a lot of extra work for a stupid switch.
The mk6 uses a twist in style attachment which meant making an aluminium type locking nut to install it. Reinforced the paper thin firewall and pedal box with 5mm steel plate.

At this point something happened that always does with me, the project took a turn and became much MUCH bigger than I had originally planned for.
Thinking if I'm going to paint the engine bay then why not paint all the wheel wells? Ok if I'm doing that then I should really paint the under body as well, along with susp, sub frame, calipers etc etc..........after all it will be easy right? This is how the process starts..........down the rabbit hole we go..
Last minute parts I sent out for plating came back, those awesome people at Terei Bros turned them around in less than a week before closing for Christmas. Thanks guys!

80 Vert

Time to open a can of worms. Engine bay stripped there's a bunch of work to be done before paint can happen.
During the ABF swap some pretty big holes were cut to run wiring through, don't really understand that as Mk2's have heaps of extra holes as is, guess it was easier to cut a hole than just taking the rubber plugs out...
In all I filled around 20 un needed holes, a few that were drilled but mostly extra factory holes that are no longer needed for a cleaner look.
Process is pretty simple, make a slug and weld it in, grind it smooth, repeat about 20 times.

I found some rust in the rain tray seam on the firewall so it was best to remove the factory sealant from the seam you can see above in order to sand blast it back and epoxy prime it which hopefully slows down future rust.
Cut out the rot in the firewall and rain tray, made new pieces and welded in.
Only a small section but it had rusted right through to the cabin, this is all from water making it through the seam sealer in the rain tray and rusting out the seam.

The rust on the side of the strut tower was a little more difficult, I cut a big part of the rain try out to get access to it, as it turns out most of the rust was the side of the rain tray where it attaches to the strut tower. Scraped off the factory sealer until I found clean paint. Rust has a tendency to creep under sealer especially in seams.
At this point I really needed to do some sand blasting of all the rusty areas on the body, a lot was just surface but like the strut tower a bit heavier.
Plugged all the holes with duct tape to hopefully stop most of the sand and dust entering the interior.
Repaired the rain tray section on the bench ready to go back in once sand blasted.

80 Vert

All the welding done I ended up scraping off factory undercoating where ever it looked dodgy and found quite a bit of rust starting to travel under the undercoat, mostly due to the factory stuff going hard and cracking allowing water to get underneath.
This was the start of the project taking another turn but in the end will make a much much nicer car when finished.

With these areas exposed, sandblasting could take place. I have my own pressurised blasting tank and a big 3 phase compressor at work so even the onslaught of Christmas wasn't going to stop me.
Metal as clean as it was going to get the 2 pot epoxy went on to seal everything up. Quite surprised at how little dust made it inside the car.
In all really glad I took the time to do these extra steps.

On with my most hated job of all, filler!!
Tried a new filler on this car which I must say sands really nicely, took me ages to smooth out all the areas worked on
and also then re primed with epoxy. Block that down and repeat.
All 4 wheel arches and some of the under body got new coats of under coating to match the factory finish as much as possible.
At last this bucket of crap is starting to look like something.

80 Vert

Engine bay nearing painting there's a lot of detail to sort out. Since I'm now tidying up the under side as well I couldn't really leave dirty ugly calipers on so they got taken apart, blasted - primed and painted.
Smaller stuff like this is pretty easy, blast it and shoot a coat of epoxy on and then once the epoxy has flashed off but isn't yet dry shoot the red on eliminating the need for sanding.
The roller door making the perfect paint rack on a calm day, the sub frame and suspension components were done in a similar manner but skipped the blasting part.
I really had to be careful not to go OTT otherwise it just becomes a show piece that is never driven.

Cam pointed out my car had the incorrect 7 slat grille on it which I hadn't even noticed and thankfully he offered me a really nice condition 4 slat one he had.
All it needed was a good clean and a re paint of the red edge, masking took longer than I would have thought but well worth the extra time taken. A nice grille is a must as its a bit of a statement piece on a mk2.

Organised some Caprigruen base coat, clear and hardener before my painter shut for the holidays.  With a few last jobs to tackle in the engine bay things were looking pretty good, I'd already painted the under side and wheel wells at this point with the main event still to happen.
Got everything set up first day after New Years to hopefully keep dust down and over spray from getting on the rest of the car.
Hard to believe this bucket o crap had about 5 weeks of full time 40+ hour weeks in it at this stage.

80 Vert

When my painter mixed the Caprigruen he also made a dark green base coat to lay down first so that the factory colour would cover better and not take so many coats over the grey primer. Great idea, worked a treat.
2 coats of base and 3 clear, job done. My only screw up was not leaving the 2nd clear coat long enough to flash before my final coat which resulted in the paint staying soft for a very long time.
If done in a booth you could just bake it but I couldn't do that, had to wait it out but was a concern for a while.

brian

Really enjoying these project reports.
Looks like you are keeping the forum alive single handed
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

80 Vert

Haha thanks, become a bit of a Sunday morning thing.