Projekt Golf Zwei

Started by 80 Vert, June 28, 2020, 12:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

80 Vert

It arrived!! Took nearly 2 months but the wait is over and curiosity was killing me as that's the very last part left to get working in the original cluster.
I'd left the wiring in place from the last USRT supplied tacho box that didn't do as promised so hooking this up should be a snap, except it wasn't.
This one needs an actual pulse signal it converts so has to run a wire from the ecu but my TSI has no such connection in the ecu as the canbus handles that signal so had to take a signal from one of the coil packs back to the unit, the unit then multiplies this and converts it to a signal the Mk2 tach can read.
This can be used for any engine, being a VR6, V8, 4 cylinder what ever. Very clever thing, set of switches inside the box to tell the unit what output you want.
Got it wired up and started the engine, tacho works......but seemed to be reading low. Letting it warm up the rpms settled and sure enough it was reading half what it should.
Couldn't really see how to get more pulses out of it going by the settings on the back cover so I emailed the company and told them how I'd connected it and what I was doing with it.
Sure enough there's more settings they don't tell you about, in my case because I only have one pulse from one coil pack  I needed different settings.
Mine now multiplies by 16 and divides by 8, job done. Accurate and totally stable.

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

80 Vert

By now I'd been driving it quite a bit, making little changes to refine things even more and one thing that became pretty obvious was that I'd over specked the clutch.
The clutch actually came out of the old Vento Coupe's 1.8T that was making 250kw at the wheels so it was a pretty stout unit.
Started looking at heaps of options and more than once I came across posts suggesting a stock VR6 clutch would handle near enough to 300lb/ft of torque and 260+hp once bedded in correctly.
Decided I'd give that a go as they are dirt cheap and offer a nice light pedal. If I decide to go Stg1 at some point that clutch in theory should just be enough to handle it.
FCP Euro was the winner, placed the order and the clutch arrived at my door 6 days later all the way from Connecticut in the U.S, friggen awesome.
Not wanting to mess up the paint in the engine bay wrestling the gearbox out by myself I decided to pull the front off again to make the job easier.

Sat the engine on my engine table which made removing the gearbox fairly easy, clutch off and new Sachs one ready to go in.
In all not too bad, only thing would be no abuse for 800-1000km to break it in properly, that's going to be difficult!!!
All back together the clutch feels amazingly light, must be getting old......
Boy this old bucket has come a long way, all just dirty hard work.

Agent-H

that's one sweet looking ride mate!

80 Vert

Bit of tidy up time around here, with Project Zwei getting closer to being completed until the exterior paint job happens I sorted through the parts no longer needed to advertise them.
As always though projects like this are never really finished as the next few posts will prove. I had sitting around a 2016 Mk7 GTI I wrecked, as it was fairly well stripped I started thinking about scrapping the body and having the scap man collect it.
That is always a great opportunity to load the body up with all kinds of other junk that is normally difficult to dispose of.
As I started loading the shell I had in my hands the plastic interior sill trims to throw in it, these have a really nice aluminium trim with a red LED strip in them that lights up.
Such a shame to throw away.......hmmm I wonder.
Yup, you guessed it...custom fit them to the Mk2 hooked up to the door contact switch. Took quite a bit of effort but I'm pretty stoked with the results for something that would have been thrown away.

Getting ever closer, until some stupid old fool in a BMW backed in to the right rear side as I was getting out after parking at my upholsterers shop very nearly pinning me between the 2 cars!!! When I say very near, I mean inches!!
I saw him coming as I stood up after getting out and by the time I reacted by shouting and slamming my fist on his boot he slammed in to my car.
Shifted the back of my car over 1/2m, damaged my newly powdercoated wheel and damaged the right rear wheel arch and 1/4 panel.
He was totally deluded and denied causing the damage, lucky for me I had witnesses but he refused to lodge a claim with his insurance company.
Since I wasn't insured yet that became a problem, he was a fairly well known figure around these parts so I started calling him gently reminding him he should do the right thing and he had all sorts of stories like CSI had measured a car like mine and it was impossible his car caused that damage even though he acknowledged he had hit me, not much I could do but remain calm and keep pushing him to do the right thing. More and more a problem of the society we have created, total lack of responsibility.
Eventually after many weeks we got there, he lodged a claim but he still denied responsibility however my letter from the witnesses got his insurance company on my side and claim processed. This damage will be dealt with when it gets painted.
A funny twist in this was the contact person at his insurance company I dealt with was a really nice friend of a friend who remembered my name as I'd done some work on his 70's Toyota Celica over 10 years ago (which he sill owned)

gti vr6

Man that sucks that some old coot damaged your car. 
1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline

80 Vert

Yup was pretty shocked how irresponsible a man in his 70's could be, still that's the way of todays society.
Onwards with little refinements, the column stalks had seen better days with the white markings mostly worn off.
FCP Euro had brand new Meyle ones on sale so a late Saturday evening spending splurge saw those ordered and on their way here, I don't quite know how they manage to ship stuff so cheaply around the world but it works for me.
New stuff is always nice, little details make all the difference.

Column apart and out with the old, you tend to forget how far this thing has come.
In with the new looking much better.

80 Vert

There I was one day driving down HWY 18 and saw a tow truck going the other way with an ED35 Mk6 on the back that had a massive frontal hit, have no idea why but it immediately reminded me of the one I used to own as it was the same dark grey colour.
Carried on my merry way but started thinking about all the little extra touches these have making them different from a regular GTI.
One thing always stood out was the seat belts, black with a nice red stripe either side. The seat belts in Project Golf Zwei were pretty ugly, as old belts tend to be faded, stiff, don't retract well and dirty..........I wonder........
Anyway, decision made. Hopefully it comes up at auction, buy it and wreck it for the seat belts.
Wait am I saying buy an entire car just for the seat belts? Yes, you bet.
About a month later it popped up, duly bid wayyyy to much on it and still didn't win.......bummer.
Couple days later it appeared on TM, a wrecker in Takanini bought it, managed to do a deal with them just for the 4 belts. Win.
Took all the seat belts out and rebuilt them one by one, a lot of dirt and other things I'd rather not know in the roller mechanism.
Giving them a good clean made a huge difference, the rear plastic hangers were very very faded to almost a light grey.
I'd read that hitting plastic with a heat gun made it back again so I decided to try that, but with a propane torch instead!
Worked a treat, full set of rebuilt belts done with the help of a local seat belt guy.

We are just about up to where the car is at today, just little bits and pieces happening until paint time. Just enjoying using the thing.

spooln

Enjoying the thing....Vert driving sedately in a gear higher to keep the revs down for fuel efficiency. Yeah nah...tui.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

80 Vert

Fuel economy is terrible, probably related to the gas pedal.
I try and take a piece out of it when ever it goes out, it's sooo much fun and not at all how a mk2 is supposed to go.

80 Vert

With the car more or less done for now I needed a new project to tinker with and since I really enjoyed doing the steering wheel I thought about doing another one.
There was lots of room for improvement on the last one even though I had the old cover for a pattern, this one however would be different and much more difficult since I had nothing but a bare steering wheel.
Bought some leather and a few other tools I'd need, sewed a seam to make a sleeve to wrap around the wheel.
Then used a wax pencil to mark out the centre line of the wheel so that I could mark out the cut / sew line on the leather.
Bit by bit working around the wheel marking out as I go, once completed cut along the marked line.

In hindsight I should have stretched the leather more, I:E made the sleeve smaller.
With the leather cut the sleeve went back on to test fit and make adjustments as needed, quite complicated trying to hold everything and I'd need to make small cuts as I went sewing it together.

Started my cross stitch as the bottom where the seam is, I realized another mistake I made here but too late to turn back.
I'll have to fix that on the next wheel I do........for the Porsche.

Noisyland

Astounding skills. Well done so far!

Noisyland

Hi there. Where could I purchase the same Bostik tar boards that you used on your floorpans? Were they easy to work with?

80 Vert

They were purchased many years ago, have no idea who sold them sorry.
Yes easy to work with, just heat them up with a heat gun and press down, Wurth is another brand that has the same thing.
Maybe try R.A Johnstone? They might have something or Forman Insulation.

the phantom

I remember a how to cover steering wheels utoob vid, the guy ran the edge through a sewing machine with no cotton in to punch regular holes for the stitching
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

I did that but one side at a time instead of doubling up the leather before poking the holes which meant the holes didn't all line up. Fail...

the phantom

ahh, just a learning opportunity  ;D
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

80 Vert

Hand stitching continues, working my way around the spokes using a two needle cross stitch.
I'm pretty keen to do another one now and apply things I've learnt from this one.

All completed, pretty stoked with the results. Suits a Mk2 to a tee, classic 90's style.

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue