Author Topic: Charging Battery in the vehicle  (Read 220 times)

Offline Chchgti35

• 2012 Mk6 GTi 35 edition
Charging Battery in the vehicle
« on: June 29, 2020, 06:14:50 pm »
Any issues charging/topping up battery in the vehicle ? Handbook is very “Apocalyptic” about charging the battery anywhere except the dealership? As if I am going to take out the battery (because yes of course i have a spare.....) and take it to the dealership to be charged.
The 2amp charger/maintainer wont charge the battery if below 2V and its no where near that weak but it’s definitely slowing down. Also the unit has an accessory socket so you can (apparently) charge the battery by plugging in the 12v male connector to the socket in the car, has anyone tried this and does it work (not sure the socket is even live without the key on. A bit hesitant to try this method but cant see any reason why hooking up the clamps to the battery while still in the circuit would be a problem? Will call the service dept and get their okay before I do anything but keen for input here, cheers. Vehicle is 2012 GTi

Offline Pristle

• vyf ster
  • ##
Re: Charging Battery in the vehicle
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 01:58:32 am »
CTEK seem to have the charger you're looking for. They have a range of products with an equal range of prices. The MXS 5.0 seems to be the one targeted at the consumer market. Repco have them listed as 'clearance' at the moment.