Mk5 GTI Climatronic display faulty

Started by Techno, July 09, 2020, 08:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Hi guys

My Mk5 GTI has the climatronic AC system, but it's been broken since I bought the car. I've searched the forum but can't find anything related to this issue.

So here's the deal: The actual controls still work. I can still set the fan speed with the middle knob, I can still set the temperature on either side knobs and I can still change the direction the air flows, as well as turning the actual AC on and off. But here's the problem, none of the displays work on it. The lights don't come on at all and the two LCD screens don't display anything.

Has anyone had this before?

I checked all the fuses and for good measure replaced any fuse that has got something to do with the air conditioning or instrument panel, didn't help. I did the fans "reset" sequence that resets the flaps, I can hear them turning but still nothing on the buttons. I don't have VCDS so I can't scan it for faults.

My only thought at this point is that the actual unit is faulty, which is weird since all the buttons still work. I'm planning to fit the Mk6 climatronic panel at some point, so not really worth spending money on a replacement Mk5 one, but at the same time I'm not 100% sure that that is even the issue.

The Red Warrior

I have one you can try if you want. It was still working fine when I pulled it out to do the Mk6 climatronic conversion. I?m guessing you don?t have the heated seats version? Mine isn?t. 
Can scan yours too if you like as I do have VCDS.

Techno

That would be great! I'll send you a PM

Techno

Update:

I picked up Red Warrior's used climatronic control unit and tried it in my car the next weekend. His unit worked immediately, which was quite a relief for me. I then ended up purchasing the unit from him.

I also took the old one apart to see if I can find anything obvious wrong. I saw a but of residue on the circuit board, an almost blueish colour, that ran down and must have damaged the board quite a while ago.

But very happy I could get it sorted so easily. Thanks again Red Warrior!