Author Topic: Jumped to APR & HSP from a custom tune - wow!  (Read 754 times)

Offline 2gKiwi

Jumped to APR & HSP from a custom tune - wow!
« on: August 06, 2020, 02:42:46 pm »
I took my 6R to see Hennie at HSP to replace my previous Stage1 custom-tune (from a different NZ tuner) with an APR Stage1 tune. 

Hennie clearly knows these cars inside and out. He was extremely thourough, giving the car a detailed check before looking at the tune (including gapping and fitting a fresh set of plugs).   He didn’t try to “sell” me on anything - just did-his-thing and let the tune speak for itself.  He communicated exactly what he was doing and why, showing me what he was seeing.  We drove exactly the same route, same traffic, same temps, similar scenarios to capture directly comparable data.  He was able to show me back-to-back data from both pre and post APR tunes which backed-up what I felt.  It also explained my <sad> experience of my prior tune.

What an amazing difference!  Below 2,500rpm, the car is pretty much the same.  After 2,500rpm and definitely by 3k rpm, the car comes-alive and now pulls like a freight-train through to redline.  No hesitation, no blips, no peaks, no more weird gear-changes, no boost bouncing around, completely predictable and linear.  My prior tune I now realized had NONE of those qualities.  The car shifts better and is overall more consistent and predictable now.

I'm stoked with the APR tune and the awesome service at HSP.

Thanks Hennie.
Thanks APR.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:27:14 pm by 2gKiwi »

Offline LouieP

Re: Jumped to APR & HSP from a custom tune - wow!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 05:44:04 pm »
Nice one! APR definitely has the R&D to have people levitate to towards them. They are like the 'Apple' of the vag world. I did see recently that they are discontinuing their downpipes and support for stage 2 on all vehicles so you might have to jump ship
2014 MK7 Golf GTI - Pure White
1996 MK3 Golf VR6 - Black Magic Pearl

Offline 80 Vert

• only milk and juice comes in 2 litres
  • ####
  • All thats left to do is everything!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:09:28 pm »
This is due to the EPA cracking down on tuners flouting emission laws.
About time too really, the whole world is looking at ways to reduce carbon emissions and here in this so called "green" country we have no real standards to even speak of but things will change for everyone sooner or later.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Offline le mans

• ##
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 01:47:55 pm »
 Nice review, and great to see you rewarding good service 👍