Telltale signs your DSG is likely to fail?

Started by Chchgti35, August 18, 2020, 08:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chchgti35

2012 GTi
Are there any telltale signs I should have the transmission checked by dealership (before the warranty runs out) ?
Seems to be pausing a little longer after selecting D or R, has always gone into neutral on slow off throttle corners (they told me this is normal) So a very light foot is required out of very low speed corners to avoid jerkiness and I detect a very slight clunk when stoping at lights etc and trans moves into 1st. Has Done 102,000kms

ranton-inc

Get it Serviced, and Basic Settings (Recalibration done)

The fluid level could be low, also ask if there are any Firmware updates perhaps?

Brett

Quote from: Chchgti35 on August 18, 2020, 08:51:36 PM
Seems to be pausing a little longer after selecting D or R, has always gone into neutral on slow off throttle corners (they told me this is normal) So a very light foot is required out of very low speed corners to avoid jerkiness and I detect a very slight clunk when stoping at lights etc and trans moves into 1st. Has Done 102,000kms

As Anton mentioned definitely service the dsg first with a calibration also.

Certainly not normal having to maintain throttle on corners. Sounds like avoidance
Previous:MKIII Golf GL, MKIV Golf GTI, E36 325i, E36 323i, B5 S4 sedan, C32 AMG, B5 S4 avant, BMW 740iL, MKV Golf Gti 2dr.

Current:
Company car
Weekend toy-2007 Golf Gti Edition 30

LouieP

Quote from: ziptie.nz on August 19, 2020, 07:21:16 AM
Get it Serviced, and Basic Settings (Recalibration done)

The fluid level could be low, also ask if there are any Firmware updates perhaps?
Pretty much this but how the vehicle is driven also plays a major role in it's longevity. DSG cannot be driven like a normal automatic but more like a manual car. Some of the below I've noticed to have more mechanical sympathy on the gearbox. Not an expert, just my experience

- When slowing down in the lower gears never let the car coast. If you're not on the accelerator pedal you're on the brake
- Always commit, never jab the pedal - especially when reversing uphill
- If you sit in traffic, keep some space between you and the car in the front to prevent you getting on an off the pedal. Always have your foot slightly on to let the car roll at a continuous pace
- When taking off always listen to hear the clutch packs grab first before giving it some more to prevent riding them. The amount of time i hear people ride their mk5 gti clutches at the traffic lights makes me cringe
- I've also never seen a dsg car go into neutral around corners!?

I am unsure how long you have owned the vehicle but you should be able to tell what the car likes and what it does now. Have you got mechanical insurance? Good luck!
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door

superfueler

About 2 weeks before my Audi S3's DSG packed up, it did the following which was quite noticeable. Every time after stopping and going from Drive to Park, the car made 3 to 4 clunking noises accompanied by jerking movements. Took it in to a Audi service centre and about a week later they told me that the clutch packs gave in and this also contaminated the fluid and near destroyed the mechatronics unit as well. $6800 and more then a month later i got it back, thank goodness for the mechanical insurance that paid. This happened about 3 to 4 months after purchasing the car which pissed me off completely. Needless to say, it was traded in soon after for a more reliable Tiptronic auto.

Hope your mechanical insurance is up to date, you might need it soon.

Current: 2010 Audi A4 2.7 TDI silver, 2007 Audi A4 2.0T DTM sprint blue, 2007 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI BKD 4motion manual white.
Past: 2004 Golf R32 black pearlescent, 2009 Audi S3 white, 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T blue, 99 Golf mk4 GTI black, 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T black.