urs6 brake servo rebuild

Started by tjsmada, September 13, 2020, 05:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjsmada

does any one know if anyone in NZ can rebuild the hydraulic brake servo on these? There is a guy in the US who I can send it to, but thought I better try local first. The servo is made by ATE.

On a side note, what a PITA to remove. Not looking forward to reinstalling  :o

80 Vert

If you can buy the diaphragm then do it yourself, piece of cake to take apart and simple as inside. Heavy spring in there so watch out.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

tjsmada

I haven't been able to find a seal kit, are you talking about a vacuum booster ?

80 Vert

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

90_B2 Quattro

There's a place in Christchurch that can rebuild servos.
I think they're call CBC?

00quattro00

Convert it to vacuum assist and throw the stupid hydraulic system in the bin
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

tjsmada

Quote from: 90_B2 Quattro on September 14, 2020, 03:21:21 PM
There's a place in Christchurch that can rebuild servos.
I think they're call CBC?
Thanks I'll see if I can hunt them out
Quote from: 00quattro00 on September 14, 2020, 06:18:21 PM
Convert it to vacuum assist and throw the stupid hydraulic system in the bin
I did briefly consider that,  but figured it was easier to rebuild the current system than hunt out parts to modify  and get it certed

colingrant

I rebuilt my URQ booster. Fairly simple operation.  But the booster was not the problem. It just disguised  a failing master cylinder. But the booster was leaking a little so two birds with one stone. All  the booster o rings were available off the shelf and the end 9.5 x 22 x 7 oil seal was replaced with a 9 x 22 x 7  seal  likewise off the shelf which is what the americans supply in their kits anyway.    It all works good.

tjsmada

user2154

Have you been bleeding the brakes using the pedal? I read a long time ago that if you manually bleed the brakes you risk damaging the seal on the hydraulic booster.. Best to use a pressure bleeder.

tjsmada

I managed to swap out the booster without breaking into the brake hydraulics- thanks for the tip though  I'll be aware of this next time I need to bleed the system.
BTW , a flexible 3/8 drive extension is real godsend when you're trying to get the nuts started on the booster deep in behind the dashboard

user2154

https://www.motiveproducts.com/collections/import-power-bleeder-kits/products/0100-european-bleeder

Best tool I ever bought, FYI I don't put the fluid in the chamber, just top up the reservoir, less mess to clean up.. Those small vacuum pumps don't work on these cars either..

user2154

Also, just wondering where it was leaking? I used to have a very very slight leak of some fluid onto the drivers carpet, I think it was brake fluid but not sure.. Years ago when I started using the pressure bleeder it went away and never came back..

tjsmada

Yeah, mine had a very slow leak out of the bellows on the pedal end and into the footwear. The brake pressure warning would come on at startup if it had been sitting more than a day , now it doesn't:)