is my blower fan motor stuffed or something else??

Started by RayRay, October 25, 2020, 03:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RayRay

So, out of the blue my interior fan stopped working, well i say out of the blue, i did just replace a vent and had to reconnect the vent light, cant see how this is relevant though?!

Went through this diagnostic procedure https://www.audiworld.com/tech/int6.shtml

18 Actual Air Blower voltage (Volts) - reads 11.7
19 Specified Fresh Air Blower voltage (Volts) - reads 11.7
20 A/C Compressor (A/C Clutch) voltage (Volts) - reads 14.2
21 Number of low voltage occurrences, non-transient - reads 0
27 Engine Speed (RPM) - reads 0 haha yes i'm parked with engine off
1 System malfunction - displayed as a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) - reads 18.3

18.3 = Fresh air blower voltage, sporadic

So if volts to fan motor are ok (assuming 11.7 is correct) does this mean the fan motor itself is stuffed resulting in sporadic (or no) voltage?

lights, indicators are working (read can stop working) so guessing not any relay problems??

hoping to get some help as to whether it is the fan motor, or relay or something else.....before i buy parts!!

thanks  :-\
2000 A4 B5 1.8TQ Sport AJL man sedan NZ - driving
2006 BMW E91 325i M-Sport tip touring JPN - neglected
1991 BMW E30 325i M-Tech1 man sedan NZ - sold and cried

RayRay

so was pleased when i started today and the fan was working :) on further drives it worked, didn't work or worked at half puff with the fan speed only changing on the climate control display as the day/car got hotter (as it should). I can feel a passive stream of cold air coming out the vents when its not blowing (when it's meant to be) so ac & temp sensors seem to be working. No random up and down fan speed on climate control as are issues I've read (searching for fan)..........just not blowing.....to me all pointing to the fan motor failing...or is it just dirty??

Hoping others have had a similar issue and can advise. Will pull out glove box this weekend to have a look.
2000 A4 B5 1.8TQ Sport AJL man sedan NZ - driving
2006 BMW E91 325i M-Sport tip touring JPN - neglected
1991 BMW E30 325i M-Tech1 man sedan NZ - sold and cried

le mans

I?ve not experienced those symptoms with mine sorry. Whilst I like to know what is going on with my cars I tend to leave the diagnosis repair to the guys at Brodie European.