Windscreen replacement

Started by redvr6, October 23, 2020, 09:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redvr6

Before I contact the insurance company, has anyone had any issues getting screen replaced with OEM glass? I don't really want cheap glass fitted. TIA.
Deep Blue Pearl Mk5 R32
<sold>Tornado Red Mk3 VR6</sold>

le mans

Last summer A4 windscreen cracked by rock thrown up by a truck. Insured with AMI for many years. Smith&smith put cheap glass in. Was distorted so took back. Replacement glass also distorted. Finally AMI gave in and stumped up for OE glass. Originally they wanted me to pay $900+ for it even though I have glass excess buyout. Got there in the end but not impressed at all with the battle. Personally I?d be happy to pay a couple of bucks more in premium to guarantee OE replacement, but does not appear to be an option. Good luck!

NZDoug

The Mrs was driving  our 2009 VWCC and a milk truck coming out of the side metalled road flicked a stone into the windscreen and ours had to be replaced.
AMI Insurance would not replace with O.E.M. but I insisted.
Giltrap Botany popped  the windscreen out and they discovered rust.
The photographed the rusted areas and eventually got an okay from Volkswagen Germany to cover the repairs of the rust after Giltrap proved that they were the only one to  have serviced and maintained the vehicle since new.
The car also had cracked glass where the turning running lights are, and they supplied me with a new loaner Golf for 7 weeks until the new replacement part arrived.
Covid delays.
If I went to the AMI insurer for the non original all this would be overlooked and I would have been stuck with a big repair bill.
I paid $70.00 and AMI paid the rest.
Thank You, Giltrap Botany!
HEY! HO! LETS GO!

Pristle

I had a windscreen replacement by Novus back in January. While it had the graduated tint that I thought was so cool in the 80s, I could never get used to it. The distortion was nauseatingly severe when looking across to the left.

The car got written off while I was still dealing with State and Novus to get it remedied. Never thought about until now, but perhaps that was a contribution to their decision.

The Red Warrior

I?ve the windscreen replaced twice in my Mk5 GTI. The first time was by Smith and Smith and it was an Aussie branded windscreen. The next time I asked if I could get it done by Continental Cars. They agreed and so I got an OEM windscreen.
I don?t think either place did a great job though. There wre fragments of glass left on the car by Smith and Smith. Continental Cars scratched my gear knob and the rain sensing auto wiper function is not very good in intermittent rain/drizzle.
I?m with State Insurance and have windscreen cover.

80 Vert

I don't know what it is with NZ workmanship but it's more often disappointing than good.
Having a screen replaced always stresses me out and when ever possible use my regular glazier.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

redvr6

Thanks for the comments. I'll begin the battle with my insurers this week.
Deep Blue Pearl Mk5 R32
<sold>Tornado Red Mk3 VR6</sold>