Low compression - Golf 2010 1.4 tsi 118kW

Started by golfindownunder, November 05, 2020, 05:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfindownunder

Hi,
My daughter had a check engine light come on a couple of days ago and she took the car in to a garage in Auckland city. They scanned the car and came up with an error code P0301. They advised a change of the coil on cylinder 1 and replacing all the spark plugs, which she duly did.
However, the light came back on yesterday, along with the engine shaking while running. I took the car in to a garage in Henderson and they did a compression test which came up with low compression in cylinder 1. They advise that it could be a piston or ring issue and quite frankly recommended selling the car.
Before I do that, I'd like the expert opinions of this forum's members on:
Is it reasonably easy and cost-effective to source a replacement engine which does not have the issues of this particular model (the CAVD engine?)
Which year/engine code would you suggest?
Would the computer have to be coded to accept the replacement engine?
Any alternative suggestions?
Many thanks

The Red Warrior

CAVD is the turbo and supercharger version correct?
See my previous post about this car:

http://www.vask.org.nz/index.php/topic,45207.msg465009.html#msg465009

golfindownunder

Yes, this is the same engine! Unfortunately, the car is a Japanese import, so the local dealers will probably not want to have anything to do with it.

portmanteau

Quote from: golfindownunder on November 05, 2020, 05:14:54 PM
Is it reasonably easy and cost-effective to source a replacement engine which does not have the issues of this particular model (the CAVD engine?)
Which year/engine code would you suggest?
Would the computer have to be coded to accept the replacement engine?
Any alternative suggestions?
Many thanks

CTH/CTHD is I belive the "improved version" of your engine

I have one for sale from a 2014 Tiguan done 86,000km but it is not cheap

read all about your problem at the following link - this is just one of many sites that google should be able to find for you:

https://www.grantwalker.com.au/volkswagen-cavd-engine-problems/

"There is a solution. in 2012 Volkswagen rectified this problem by upgrading this engine to the CTHD engine. This engine was released with upgraded pistons and piston rings, oil squirters, a superseded timing chain tensioner and a few other tweaks. This is a much more reliable engine and does not share the same problems as it?s predecessor. With minimal modifications (approx 2-3 hours) the CAVD engine can be replaced with the late model CTHD."

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

gtyler

portmanteau

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

gtyler