Author Topic: DSG neutral to drive click/thud  (Read 968 times)

Offline 76rd400

DSG neutral to drive click/thud
« on: November 29, 2020, 03:13:47 pm »
Hi all, Iím new to dsg transmissions so please bear with me. I recently got an MK5 gti second hand from a dealer with reasonably high mileage (~180k) but good service history. The dsg was last serviced at 155k. It drives super smooth and shifts really nicely, but Iíve started noticing that after the engine is warm it makes a noticeable click/clunk when shifting between neutral and drive. It kind of just sounds like the transmission shifting and the clutch engaging/disengaging. Having read a myriad of dsg horror stories Iíve been thinking of taking it back to the dealer and asking them to check it out. Or is this a characteristic of the dsg and am I just being paranoid?

Offline breakfastdude

Re: DSG neutral to drive click/thud
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 04:07:00 pm »
Hi there, first of all, welcome to the club! Your issue might point to a lot of different things, unfortunately the dsg is one that's really hard to diagnose over the internet. It would be prudent to have the dealership check it out for you if you can. Here are a few of the most common issues with these six-speed wet clutch DSGs that might relate to your specific issue(in no particular order):
  • Worn transmission/engine mounts. This can cause "juddering" when moving from a stand still. With really worn mounts, you can actually move your engine about by rocking it with your hands. Another easy way to check is to make sure that your engine doesn't rock excessively when you start it.
  • Mechatronic failure. This one causes juddering, particularly bad when moving from a stand still on both 1st and reverse gears. Bad shifts are also a symptom (clunking/vibration when downshifting from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 as you slow down). Note that these symptoms only usually appear when the transmission oil is already warmed up. Main cause of this is heat buildup as I've learned from others: slipping the clutch by not "committing" (ie. tapping the accelerator pedal) when reversing uphill is a major no-no. Similarly, going uphill from a standstill on the 1st gear can also cause quite the heat buildup when you don't commit.
  • Dual mass flywheel failure. Not strictly part of the DSG, but when they fail you typically hear a "marbles in a can" sound near the transmission from below the car when your engine is running and you're in Park or Neutral. The sound goes away when you put your transmission in Drive or Reverse. Jerky starts from standstill is also a symptom.
There's also this thing that people call DSG "chatter". It's by no means an issue, it's simply the sound produced by the DSG when slipping the clutch when necessary by quickly and repeatedly engaging and disengaging the clutches to create slip.

Offline 76rd400

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 09:27:50 am »
Hello, thank you for your response! That's a really good summary of what I should be looking out for. I've spoken to the dealership and I'm taking it in on Thursday for them to check out. When I described the symptoms over the phone, their first thought was either worn mounts, or perhaps a clutch pack. Guess I'll find out soon!

Offline dummer

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 02:30:19 pm »
Is it fixed now?
I have similar problem. Changed the dog bone, improved a bit but sometime still hard to "bite" into reverse

Offline McDoof

• #
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:14:20 pm »
I have the same issue on my Passat. I'd get an adaptation done on the DSG. That should help for a bit. It resets the bite points and clutch pressure etc. However you most likely have a worn clutch pack and/or dual mass flywheel. With doing both if you're going pull the DSG out
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion