new brake pads and now my clutch is wierd

Started by heat, December 02, 2020, 05:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heat

Hi can anyone  help, I got new brake pads on my mk4 golf and noticed immediately my gear change was weird afterwards, just more resistance to put in gear.  And sometimes clonking.
My mechanic who is not a VW mechanic thinks I'm imagining it. I took it back and I thought he was going to bleed my clutch but he lubricated the hydraulic pin. I think he's taking the piss.  Is it possible that it could affect my clutch?   So now my clutch which was fine b4 is juddering as well.  Its hard being a girl   

Gordo

What area are you in, might be someomne close who can check and back you up on it.
They are separate systems, so most unlikely to be related, but stranger things have been known to happen - even co-incidence. As normal practice, it's advisable to change the fluid as part of the process, if not following the 24 month recommendation.
Is there a chance the mechanic who did the brakes could have taken it out and abused the clutch - or that he simply changed the seat position and you didn't get it back in quite the same position and aren't depressing the clutch correctly as your timing is a little out/
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

heat

Yes,  probably thanks, good answer. That's exactly what happened no doubt. I've got someone to look at it tomorrow, though.

fast4motion

From memory the Mk4 Golf clutch and brakes share the same fluid reservoir. So the mechanic probably managed to get air into the clutch line while bleeding/topping up the brake fluid after replacing the pads.

Gordo

Ah, that would make perfect sense, from what the lady described. Not something I would have thought of, not being a Golf aficionado
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)