MIB1 Carplay retrofit

Started by chrispy, December 17, 2020, 07:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispy

Hi all,

It looks like there are 2 options for getting Carplay into a NZ New 2015 MK7 GTI - either a full MIB2 retrofit with CP removal, re-coding etc, or a drop-in replacement for the screen unit itself.

Has anyone done the latter? Do you loose any of the factory integrated features / does it still have the same look and feel?

I see that AutoGravity does this at a reasonable price. Any major reasons to go with the full MIB2 retrofit?

Also wondering if anyone has successfully done a firmware upgrade for their MIB1 infotainment / nav - am downloading the updated maps from here, but not sure whether this is just new map data or if it will update the rest of the infotainment system (bug fixes etc)?

https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfotainment/int/en/index/downloads/maps-download#/

Cheers

JaseNZ

I did the full upgrade to the MIBII pro with the 8.5" screen.

Was costly but one of the best upgrades I did to mine. All the options are unlocked unlocked.

I also have wireless carplay via a module I bought from overseas that just plugs into the usb connection in the cubby hole.

I tried MIB1 map upgrade when I had it but it would not work.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man

coons

You can also get boxes that you plug in to the back of the glove box unit which add car play to an MIB1 unit. They cost about $450.

I bought one, it was an okay experience. It does what it says, it?s even wireless CarPlay which is cool. But the integration isn?t seemless like if it were OEM. For example you can?t use Google maps spoken navigation and listen to the radio at the same time. It has to be on AUX to hear the nav.

Personally I listen to a lot of podcasts, or my own music. So I?m often only using the crappy interface, so it works well. But if you listen to the radio often it?s nigly.