Started by snowtyres, December 22, 2020, 10:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowtyres

From MOTOR magazine (The annual 2020) published last week
Link -  https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/best-of-audi-quattro

le mans

That looks great, thanks for the link.

RobClubley

The writer gets a bit flowery with his words, but a good article.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

snowtyres

There were a few hiccups in the text (now corrected by the editor) but this is the first article I have read where quattro is correctly written with a q and not a Q
More, and different, images in the magazine

Pristle

Whats wrong with his writing? I mean don't we all feel it, from time to time, "that Proustian moment, where the smells hurtle to the limbic system, whacking the amygdala and the hippocampus like a pinata, those regions related to emotion and memory. I?m transported back to my early twenties"?

I do remember in '82 when shopping for a new car. I tested a Datsun Stanza, a Toyota 1.6 SE Liftback, a red Ford XR3 and lastly the Golf GTS. Each smelt different, while the others are forgettable, the Golf stood out. Every VW or Audi since then has had a remnant of the smell and has triggered the memory of that test drive.

RobClubley

Nothing wrong with it per se, but that section you quoted just feels like he's trying a bit too hard and it took me out of the flow of the article and started me thinking about the words used instead.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

le mans

Just finished reading it. Enjoyed it and liked the attention to detail. Not sure where the author got this from though: "The RS2?s Torsen diff normally divides torque 75:25 front to rear but can reverse that ratio when required." Pretty sure it's 50:50 eh?

FFS

The Torsen diff does distribute differing proportions of drive between front and rear, as conditions dictate. The WR urquattros have 50-50 split centre diff with a centre difflock. All urq's have rear difflock. Also the article wrongly said the Torsen diff was introduced with the 20v urquattro (it was introduced with the MB, last of the 10v urq's).

le mans

Roger that. Yes the Torsen name is a combination of the words ?torque? and ?sensing?. The diff can distribute the torque front/rear up to a limit. The starting point was 50:50 torque split for the earlier diffs, went to 40:60 front/rear with the B7 RS4.

snowtyres

This has been updated by the editor on the on line version, a bit late for the mag.
?This is the last of the ur-quattros, one of only two 20v models that found their way to Australia via personal import. Introduced in 1989, the 20v featured the Torsen centre diff, which can apportion up to 75per cent of torque to the axle that can best deploy it. This is a 1990 car, but perhaps we can overlook that detail.?