Mk3.5 golf??

Started by Wunty, December 31, 2020, 01:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wunty

Where to begin...

Trying to keep it TLDR

I have a '94 MK3 VR6 manual Golf that has seen better days, and have recently picked up a '98 MK4 1.8 non turbo, auto, with a *"broken cam belt or something"* with intentions of engine and trans swap...

/End TLDR

MK4

-has a good timing belt

-has not been started

-is in pretty good condition after it gets a wash, vac and shampoo

MK3

-cracked windscreen

-some rust, maybe more?

-brutal paint flake

-missing half its interior, other half is growing a miniature forest (leak in poorly fitted sunroof or top of poorly fitted windscreen)

-hasn't been properly run in over 4 years, had it started and running, but not driving (stuck clutch) 2 weekends ago

DO I

Crack the head of the MK4 and see if the internals are damaged -unless there is an easier way to see if the belt has skipped- and if its ok, fix and sell and spend the money on the MK3, or, do the swap anyway and sell the MK4's 1.8

IF I do the swap (its already apparent its not going to be as easy... or, more difficult than i first thought) Ive already accounted for cross member, ECU, pedal box and gauge cluster, but with the different layout in the engine bay such as intake direction, windshield water and radiator res tank, i fear i may be overlooking a thing or 10 such as steering rack clearance...

Altom14

The US had 12v vr6 in mk4s, so in theory it fits, there are a few things different between obd1 and obd2 engines , some obd2 12v engines have the mk4 engine mounting points, others don't.
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/are-the-mk3-and-the-mk4-12v-vr6-engine-blocks-interchangeable.4905354/#post-66017929
Also if you are going to run mk4 ecu, some sensors are different.

ciriacolettiere

Quote from: Altom14 on January 02, 2021, 02:23:02 PM
The US had 12v vr6 in mk4s, so in theory it fits, there are a few things different between obd1 and obd2 engines , some obd2 12v engines have the mk4 engine mounting points, others don't.
https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/are-the-mk3-and-the-mk4-12v-vr6-engine-blocks-interchangeable.4905354/#post-66017929
Also if you are going to run mk4 ecu, some sensors are different.

There is a discussion here about the Mk4 with three threaded holes. Could there be four holes, do you know? Or is it no longer an Mk4?

the phantom

there was a Mk4 V6 4M, not to mention the R32, so parts like the exhaust should be available, keep the Mk3 ancillaries and see which works best

also the Bentley manuals give great exploded illustrations of the components which is useful, but they are $$$
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008