Dogbone Mount - Which one?

Started by Pristle, March 14, 2021, 02:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pristle

My built for the Japanese market in Mexico 2008 Mk5 Wagon, needs a replacement bush in the dogbone mount.

As I sold my never used press before Xmas, I figured I'd by the complete dogbone. Enter the dilemma. which is the right part number? I know the base part number is 1K0 199 855, but  I've been told I need suffix L, BB, BJ and BF.

Is there actually a difference between these? Other than price.

The Red Warrior

Could you not just get the insert? e.g. Powerflex

Pristle

I know what you're thinking, but it's the bearing/bush that makes up the elbow of the dogbone that is allegedly shot. There's no insert for that.

portmanteau

BF is current and replaces L and BJ
BB is for A3

Also supposedly engine type specific but you have not said what your engine is

'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

Pristle

Thanks Bruce. Engine is BWA + 6spd DSG.

I ended up with an 'old' new stock BJ at a good discount. It'll suffice for now. Certainly feels much smoother through changes since the replacement.

Also replaced left lower control arm bush/bracket. Found that the M10 bolts threads very rusted. Will deal to the right side next week.

I keep thinking I'm leaving out step when I work on this car. The wife even asked "are you giving up and taking it to the shop?" on one occasion. The workshop manual says allow 1.5 hours to replace each part. No way. I'm a not so slim guy rolling around on the driveway under a car on jack stands, no hoist, no elaborate took kit, yet it only took me 1.25 hours for both. 

portmanteau

BF BJ and L are all for BWA so you have a good outcome

truth be known, there's probably no material difference between any of them, unless perhaps they modified rubber compound. More likely just a change of oem supplier
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q