Mk5 GTI - Battery??

Started by Crovalli, January 08, 2021, 07:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crovalli

Hey guys,

The other day (about 2 weeks ago to be exact), I went to start my golf, and it wouldn't start. A bit of cranking and then eventually gave out and got the flickering of the dash lights. Jumped it the next day, and while hesitant, it started and ran for a little while - though when I tried to start it again, see before.

I'm almost certain it's the battery, given I've had the car for 2 years now (without it being changed) and the battery looks to be from Japan (car is a Jap import).

My main concern is - is my thinking correct in that it's only the battery, and I won't be looking at anything more serious?

And - what's a good replacement? I've seen a few posts here and there, but not a lot of detail as to exactly what I should be looking at.

tia :) 

E: should probably also mention, central Auckland based too - if there's a decent place around please do let me know. Can still travel!

The Red Warrior

Yes, just the battery, nothing more to be worried about. See the ?Battery Conundrum? thread just a few below this one for a bit more info.
On a related note, mine has also just given up. (Also a mk5 GTI). Fortunately it?s still under warranty. Unfortunately the online shop that I bought it from don?t open again till Monday and even then are out of stock on most of their batteries due to I believe a general worldwide supply/shortage issue.
Here?s the link to what I bought (that is now dead):

https://www.mrpositive.co.nz/bosch-s5-premium-din66zl-automotive-battery-680cca/

The Red Warrior

Well, after using my father in law?s trickle charger the battery was still no good. Even after being on overnight it was still only showing about 3 volts and dropping. But after using a mates much better and more sophisticated charger, (that tested the battery, then did some sort of rejuvenation mode, then went through several different charging modes) I connected it back up and the car started no problem. I?ve got it on charge again now and the car will be driven about a 100km tomorrow and I?ll probably keep an eye on it. I can?t drive at the moment due to shoulder surgery so the car doesn?t get much use.

the phantom

it could be a weak cell a good battery shop will test it for you, I have used Exedy on Wairau Rd on the Shore
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

Pristle

Quote from: Crovalli on January 08, 2021, 07:22:20 PM
Hey guys,

The other day (about 2 weeks ago to be exact), I went to start my golf, and it wouldn't start. A bit of cranking and then eventually gave out and got the flickering of the dash lights. Jumped it the next day, and while hesitant, it started and ran for a little while - though when I tried to start it again, see before.

I'm almost certain it's the battery, given I've had the car for 2 years now (without it being changed) and the battery looks to be from Japan (car is a Jap import).

My main concern is - is my thinking correct in that it's only the battery, and I won't be looking at anything more serious?

And - what's a good replacement? I've seen a few posts here and there, but not a lot of detail as to exactly what I should be looking at.

tia :) 

E: should probably also mention, central Auckland based too - if there's a decent place around please do let me know. Can still travel!

Have sent you a PM.