Clarion 318sdcw - Help

Started by BobLobl4w, January 14, 2021, 05:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobLobl4w

Hey all,
I'm the thrilled new owner of a Mk6 gti, being fresh off the boat it's stuck in Japanese showing me a lovely road map of Osaka.
I've done a bit of goggling and tried using translate but I can't for the life of me find whether there is a setting to change the language to English.
Does anyone have any experience with these stereos?
I'd rather not replace the stereo right away as I'm already getting the timing chain tensioner done in the next week so any help would be appreciated, otherwise I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get a new head unit.

Dreamliner

First of all,

Welcome to MK6 GTI.

as far as i know, the stock touchscreen enabled headunit by Clarion does not have language options.

I still have the unit, i went to each and every option, and just gave up.

I now use it as a glorified bluetooth receiver and just play music through bluetooth from my phone.

Regarding the tensioner, where are you doing them at what price?

might want to hit up John / Vert (on the forum) if you haven't already.

Cheers,
Peter.
2010 GOLF GTI MK6

BobLobl4w

Thanks, I've had much the same luck - played with everything with no success. Will just look to replace I guess.
Tensioner is going to be done through dub world in Christchurch, have been given $650-$850 depending I'd the housing cracks or not, pretty happy with that price. Others have quoted between $1,100 and $2,500.

Dreamliner

What is actually included in that chain tensioner change?

is it literally just the tensioner? or are you doing the chain as well once you are in there?

Early chains are known to also prematurely stretch, and had revisions, so doing it while you are in there (i mean, it doesn't increase labour almost at all) might be a good idea.
2010 GOLF GTI MK6

80 Vert

They can't be doing it all, the parts alone cost that if genuine and you should ONLY use genuine for this.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

coons

That radio is junk, can't be changed to english. You can get cheap replacement radios on TradeMe like this - https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/volkswagen/listing/2944794752?bof=EoIv3RZx

Or for a couple of hundred more you can get one that does CarPlay etc.

Bruce_Lee

Hi there,

I have a Mk6 Golf Japanese import and I bought an RC330+ from Aliexpress, however when I pulled out the factory stereo (Clarion NX809) I found completely different wiring than what I was expecting (can't post image for some reason), definitely not plug and play.

I can figure out the main wiring (power, speakers etc) but the new unit requires CAN bus to detect ignition on, not sure how or where to find this. Would appreciate any help?

Thanks.

coons

Keep pulling the loom out of the dash - normally those Clarion radios just use an adapter harness, but sometimes it can be quite long, and the OEM harness is hidden deeper down in the dash.

Bruce_Lee

Thanks I will give that a try, appreciate your help.

Bruce_Lee

Thanks for the tip, connector was tucked down the back, new stereo now installed and working great.

Cheers,

JaseNZ

Yup I put in the RC330+ from Aliexpress when I had mine, Easy plug and play and gives you android auto and airplay.

Don't bother with the one in there its junk.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding : Ice cream man , Ice cream man