Audi A3 - ABS Control Unit issue

Started by 1Audi, January 15, 2021, 11:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Audi

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Audi A3. Recently I had a couple of lights come on the dashboard warning - first is an issue with the brakes as well as the ESP light as well. A VAG-COM scan indicated that there was an "intermittent" electrical fault with the ABS system. The code can be cleared, but will come back at a random time later (does not come back immediately, but intemitternt).Took it to mechnics to check out, they noted was a fault within the ABS control unit. They had suggested replacing the whole unit, which was quite pricey!

I am now at a crossroad as to what to do next. I had been considering upgrading vehicles - so if I was to fix, I would probably not hold onto the car for much longer.

In my mind, option 1 is to fix the fault and then sell the car in a fully functional / no issue condition. This requires upfront repair cost which would reduce the amount I would receive net.
Option 2 is to sell the car as is. The issue here would be that a sale will require a recent WOF, and I am doubtful an ABS fault light would pass a WOF - so may need to revert to option 1 from a legality perspective.

Two question I would have is:
1) whether anyone has experience with this sort of ABS issue and what sort of price range they got for repairs. I understand there are refurbished options as alterantive to the original/new units that I had been quoted on. Is this worth exploring - and if so, who would do it?
2) Is option 2 even an option here, or is there an option to sell the car in current condition (i.e. below market value, factoring in the fault).

Keen to hear any ideas you may have. I do appreciate any assistance anyone can provide here!

Thanks!

robh

Sometimes as simple as unplugging the large connector on ABS unit, spraying contact cleaner on terminals then reseating connector firmly can resolve this.  Not always though.
Daily Driver - VW Touareg V8 TDI 2012 "towing beast"
Too Many Cars - Lotus Elise S 2013 "tangerine dream"
Project Car - Golf VR6 Turbo "built not bought"
Wifes - Audi S4 Avant 2012 "I want a white car that sounds nice"

80 Vert

2009's have an active recall for defective abs units. Check with your Audi dealer.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

le mans

If it?s not covered under manufacturer recall then Anything Electronic in Nelson may be able to repair. They repaired the ABS controller on my 01 A4 last year or thereabouts. Can?t remember exact price but was well under a grand. They will want the fault code(s) to narrow down what they need to look at.

portmanteau

what is the part number from the sticker or markings that are able to be seen on the ABS module?
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

doughawkins

Hey, did you ever get this resolved. I have the same issue, 2009 A3