B3 quattro sedan project

Started by Mogalli, January 18, 2021, 04:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mogalli

I've been chipping away at this over the last year or so. 1.8t rebuild and swap, 5 lug conversion, b5 a4 brakes, few other bits and pieces. Still got a bit to do, but runs and drives now. On the hunt for a bumper that'll fit the fmic, had to cut one of my b3 bumpers as it's got no space. Will add pics and bits as I go.

'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

RobClubley

Nice! look forward to seeing progress,
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Mogalli

Bit of an update.

Built a heat shield out of aluminium for the pod filter. Ideally I'd get an oem solution to fit, but seeing as the car was kjet it was out of the question. Anyone have ideas/parts that could work? The turbo noise is neat with the pod filter, but not very "sleeper" and it's not the cleanest engine bay setup.

Finished the plumbing on the radiator. Running a b4 v6 radiator and a b4 5cyl coolant tank, the top line is connected with a three way brass job and makes bleeding super easy. On the hunt for a b4 power steering reservoir and the inside guard washer reservoir, looking to move the battery to the front so I can better mount the abs pump (which you can see hanging in the pics, it interferes with the intake manifold)(have considered deleting abs and running straight from the proportioning valve, but need more info)

Still on the hunt for a bumper that will fit the FMIC.

Cheers

'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

Mogalli

Have run in around 300km so far, clutch started playing up so got a braided line from paragon performance and new master, while I was swapping the new parts in, I noticed fluid leaking from the brake booster plunger inside the cabin...

As you can see the master is cooked and leaking, the brake booster was acting as second reservoir (hard to see, but it's full of dirty brake fluid). New master coming from USA and going to run a 96 a6 booster. Still on the hunt for rear track rods from a b3/b2 quattro and a non kjet airbox from b3/B4. Any leads, plz DM
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

brian

Brake fluid drip inside the car is not good for suede boots :(
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Mogalli

Quote from: brian on May 13, 2021, 10:18:10 AM
Brake fluid drip inside the car is not good for suede boots :(

Managed to catch it before it dissolved the carpet and paint, thankfully.
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

80 Vert

Horopito has a B2 90 5 cylinder, no clue if Quattro though.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Mogalli

Quote from: 80 Vert on May 14, 2021, 03:26:40 PM
Horopito has a B2 90 5 cylinder, no clue if Quattro though.

Cheers, will give them a call!
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

Mogalli

New master cyl and brake booster are in. The master cyl is the best 90q part I could get from the USA and the brake booster is from a 96 a6 that was at pickapart. The booster is a few cm longer and wider, but all the bolts and fittings are the same. Went it fine except it now touches the strut tower, will this be a problem? Bled the brakes and the spongyness is gone. Stops so much better now!
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

Mogalli

Managed to score a set of Ronal r8s in 15x8.

Here's a pic of them fitted compared to the 15x6. Will need to roll the guards and might try b4 front guards for the extra space.

Also recently done but no pics yet, got some new charge piping, relocated the ABS pump and battery tray. Swapped to b4 under guard washer res and pump, b4 power steering res and coolant res. Waiting on a b4 tdi airbox to arrive on the boat from poland. Will post more pics soon.

'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

Mogalli

Progress shot of the engine bay. Need to re run the brake lines to ABS pump and figure out a way to route the hybrid loom.

Used a b4 battery tray, bolted into nutcerts, freed up heaps of space moving it to the front, re-mounted the ABS pump where the battery tray was.

Got an ebay TIP, definitely faster, but not sure if it's because I addressed some potential vacuum leaks while swapping out. Induction noise is definitely louder and more whistley, hopefully inbound airbox will resolve that a bit.

Anyone parting a b4 or have some front guards I could try with the wide wheels?

'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

89 Coupe

Feel free to send the wheels my way and I'll try them on my b4  ;)
I would love a set!
1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

Mogalli

Wee update. Have started sanding and prepping for paint. Got some smaller tyres on and a very slight guard roll on the rear and now the fitment is perfect. Picked up a bumper from a b4 coupe which fits the front mount intercooler perfectly behind without any cutting. Just need a pair of b4 front guards to match the lines up and I can start the paint!

Also ordering some new exhaust parts as the flex joint is leaking and low points scrape on some speedbumps now the tyres are shorter.

Looking for ideas/options for a seat upgrade. The beige cloth is nice but very dirty/faded/old and would love to have leather. I've heard c4 100 manual seats can work?
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

GLIDN

wicked build indeed.

Ever considered a water-to-air intercooler or even a killer chiller for this project?
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

le mans

Cool that you're still chipping away on this. The car looks great on the ronals.

Mogalli

Quote from: GLIDN on August 29, 2023, 05:24:54 PM
wicked build indeed.

Ever considered a water-to-air intercooler or even a killer chiller for this project?

Yeah I thought about water to air, but quite expensive. Managed to get a fmic from a Volvo at pick a part that works mint. Have deleted the AC when I did the swap, so can't go killer chiller.
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

Mogalli

The flex joint has started rubbing a bit, so time to redo the downpipe and centre pipe. Will go 2.5" all the way and grind back and re weld my original "welds"
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

Mogalli

Finished the exhaust, hard to get good photos of it in there. 2.5" turbo back now. Still not the exact sound I'm after but much more modest and no leaks.

Blessed by trade me again with a zender from lip and some unbranded side skirts. Extremely stoked to say the least

And once again chasing some b4 front guards and b3 rear track rods, also interested in interior, seats etc and a b4 standard bumper.

I have a partially repaired b3 front bumper, fibreglass spoiler, that I'm now no longer going to use if anyone is interested.

Please shout out if you have any other parts for b3/b4!
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

Mogalli

Got the left hand guard from a b4, bolts up perfectly and lines up mint with the Cabrio bumper. Very stoked. The wheel arch is definitely longer on the b4 so the wheel looks off center and the b3 inner arch plastic doesn't quite fit. Two easy fixes though supposedly, b4 plastic and swap the ball joints from each side, moves the wheel forward slightly.

She's becoming a b3.5 at this rate
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan

Mogalli

Hours upon hours of disassembly, cleaning and sanding. Paint prep is one DIY I don't know if I'll do again. Some shots I remembered to get as I went.

The nardo grey looks good imo and I'll be happy to see it all done. Used the engine stand creatively for the doors, as I heard it's best to paint at the angle they'll sit on the car.

Have been removing and disassembling doors boot and removable panels for a full respray, but I'll probably just paint as deep as the jams and not the engine bay at this stage on the body.
'90 b3 quattro sedan
'01 b5 quattro estate
'89 b3 fwd sedan
'95 b4 fwd sedan