Do you spend your long weekends fixing these damn cars?

Started by user2154, February 01, 2021, 03:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user2154

Haven't done any maintenance for a while so with Auckland anniversary weekend a good time to fix a few things..

My steering wheel was shaking a bit too hard when braking at motorway speeds, I changed the front brake rotors last year or the year before but I left the old brake pads on they were still more than half good.. I thought I was sure it was the rotors but I took a punt and just put on the new pads, bleed the brakes and they are good as gold with no more shaking.. I hope it is fixed..

That damn short piece of coolant hose under the intake manifold that comes from the turbo was starting to bulge and was leaking, I changed it about 10 years ago. Requires removal of the intake manifold for easier access. It's a 10mm ID hose about 160mm - 170mm long. Just picked up some random hose from supercheap and cut it to length. No doubt it will start leaking somewhere else now..

Thought I had a boost leak for ages, I noticed some slight oil seepage under the oil filler cap.. I replaced the old hard rubber with a new soft one, the shhhh noise went away.

Oil change a couple of weeks ago.. That's it for now unless my weeping power steering hose finally blows..

89 Coupe

I had that short coolant hose you speak of pop on my old S6 when I was pulling up the driveway at my old man's house many moons ago.
That meant an impromptu stay for my car for a couple days while I sourced some hose from my house and made my hands small enough to reach under and around everything that was the intake manifold without removal (very painful I remember).

I replaced mine with silicone for longevity for what it's worth.

Just spent the entire weekend making / repairing wiring loom in my E34, I'm planning to finish it on Labour weekend.

I think it's just a euro thing.....  ::)
1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

tjsmada

Ditto on the silicone hose...don't really want to have to replace it again

user2154