Conundrum - to keep or to sell

Started by McDoof, February 16, 2021, 12:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDoof

Hey guys
I have a bit of conundrum.
I have a 2010 Passat 125kw TDI 4motion Variant. It's pretty rare. It's got sportline trim, so it sits a bit lower, has a R36 esque front grill etc.
175k on the clock
It's pretty tidy overall, but could do with a bit of paint tidy up here and there. Nothing serious though
Engine is strong and runs great
BUT - DSG is playing up. It appears it is needing a clutch pack and a flywheel done. Mechatronics seems to be in order.
And yes the DSG has been serviced recently
With a bit of shopping around for parts and labour, I should be able to get that done for around $4k

It's still entirly drivable and is almost 100% fine after an adaptation.... for a while.
After a while though, it starts hard shifting.
I partially blame my driveway for this. I have a horrible steep driveway that seems to trigger the hard shifting. It needs to ride the clutch a bit to get out of the top of the driveway. It seems to be fine if I don't go home. (maybe I should just not go home  8))
Also parking with the car in a nose down angle causes reverse not to engage properly and a DTC (Unexpected Mechanical Disengagement)
Again, this is currently manageable. Turn car off, put it in park, start car, put it in reverse, wait for clunking to stop. Clear DTC and do an adaptation at some point.

Aaaanyway. It it worth saving this thing and getting the DSG up to scratch again, and keeping for another 50k km or is it time to put it on the market and let it go while the current setup is still functioning to a fairly acceptable standard and let someone else deal with it.

I have VW center caps now at least.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

brian

I'd ditch it and get something with a proper transmission
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

McDoof

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

McDoof

Then the question becomes one of what can you get for under $15k with the practicality that I get from the wagon? The only thing that really comes up is a XD Atenza wagon.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Filx

I've got an 02Q AWD manual trans from a 2010 Skoda if you wanted to convert it to manual. Might be a cheaper option and then no more DSG hassles.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

McDoof

Quote from: Filx on February 16, 2021, 05:44:16 PM
I've got an 02Q AWD manual trans from a 2010 Skoda if you wanted to convert it to manual. Might be a cheaper option and then no more DSG hassles.

I had a look into that a few months back. Apparently its not a simple swap.
Need a doner car ideally so I can get the pedal box,  shifter and all the other bits needed
I believe I need to source an ECU from a matching Passat for the manual to work with the EPB too.

MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

80 Vert

Filxs gearbox is actually an AWD TDI box so ideally suited.
Manual conversion parts are easy to find, no donor car needed.
ECU should be changeable to manual via vcds but if not those are easy to get as well.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

McDoof

Tbh a manual conversion would be exactly what this car needs.
I'll have to price up the job.
@80Vert would you take it on? If anyone can work it out it would have to be you.
@felix can you PM me please let me know what you'd want for the gearbox
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

80 Vert

Yeah I could do it if all the parts were supplied.
Not a difficult thing, if you have vcds you could start by looking at the long coding in the ecu and see if it has a box to tick for manual.

Worms

Pristle

Convert now before they ban 'conversion therapy'   >:D

McDoof

Parts that would be needed that I know of
Gearbox
Shifter knob and surround
Pedal box
Clutch kit
Front drive shafts
Starter motor

Feel free to chime in.

I don't have VCDS, just a Chinese xtool. It's more like OBDEleven. So will have to get somone to assit there.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

80 Vert

Clutch hydraulic line complete
Brake pedal pad
Pedal box not required, only clutch pedal assy inc clutch master cyl
Brake pedal can have plate drilled off to convert to smaller pedal.
Shifter box / cables

McDoof

Pretty decent parts list.
Any wisdom on the best place to source all of this stuff?
I wouldn't know where to start other than scouring ebay.co.uk as that is where most of the manual Passats would have been sold

I think I need the engine and gearbox mounts too for that side.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

80 Vert

Ebay.
No mounts needed, not for Mk5 / 6 / 7 Golf I've done before anyway.
Drive shafts is 50/50, need to check what you have now. If tripod yes otherwise no.

McDoof

I feel like sourcing all the parts may be beyond my capabilities.
From what I have been reading, either the ECU needs to be sent off to have bits coded out that reference the DSG and also VCDS to tick the box to change it to manual. Either that or get an ECU from a manual car. I think it then needs to have the IMMO stuff removed or the matching keys with it. The B6 Passat has a unique key system of course.
Parts list keeps growing the more I dig into it.

Pedal assembly incl. master cylinder and line to reservoir
Clutch position sensor and connector
Firewall Gromet
Clutch Breather
Master -> Slave cylinder fluid line
various gaskets, washers, and mounting brackets
The shifter assembly, incl. gaskets and shift cables
Shift knob and surround
Shift linkage
Axles L & R
Gearbox
Clutch
Flywheel
Reverse Sensor and wiring
Clutch and brake pedal covers

Looking at that list, there is no way in hell this is going to be cost effective.

I've been down this rabbit hole before, but I think without the help of someone that really knows what to do, this idea is dead in the water.

Axles certainly look different from what I can tell

Manual

DSG
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

McDoof

So lots of to and fro in my head on this one.

As much as I would love to have this as a manual car, the logistics are just too hard, or should I say I don't know enough about parts interchangability to confidently buy the parts that would be needed.
Add to that the fact that I can't have the car off the road for months on end.
So the decision is going to be to get the DSG sorted.
I can't get another car as good as this for the price I would get plus the DSG work.

I can source the clutch packs and flywheel from the UK, through Darkside Developmets. Landed here for less than the dealer cost price direct from VW in NZ (how is the even possbile that NZ dealers get ripped off so badly)
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Worms

Conversion kit:

https://www.manheim.co.nz/damaged-vehicles/000000000006187863/2012-skoda-octavia-scout-tdi-station-wagon?referringPage=SearchResults

And then a manual ECU off ebay, or even new, from the US (The skoda one my be able to be flashed to be VW compatible - they usually aren't interchangeable without software changes). My brand new mk5 R32 ECU was about NZ$900 landed. VW NZ didn't even list them, but based on past experience, I'd have guessed about $3500.

On a side note, I'm astounded at how much more VW bits cost than our previous BMWs.

McDoof

If I had a workshop, the right tools, a bunch of spare time, a spare car, then I'd be all over this. But seeing as this car is my daily/only car, I just can't afford to have it off the road for ages, while I figure out this stuff. I mean, if I'm honest, half the stuff I'd only figure out once the car was in bits.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red