My painful experience of owning a VW Tiguan

Started by HugoGC, March 11, 2021, 05:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HugoGC

A few weeks ago, my VW Tiguan broke down in the car park of Countdown supermarket. I called the Roadside Assist and told them about my situation. The technician told me that my car must be towed back to the garage for repair. You might think that my above experience is nothing special. But what is shocking is that this is the sixth time my car needs repairs in the past four years. My car was latest model at 2016, Which only travelled 22K now. The car was really good at first. But from the middle of the first year, problem started. The faults are rear windscreen wiper, a key, reversing camera, car computer, rear LED light and engine malfunction. Fortunately, all repair costs are covered by 5-year warranty (I paid the cost of last two year extension). But now, I am worrying about what will happen in the 6th and 7th year after the five-year warranty expires.

I complained to Volkswagen New Zealand about the quality and reliability of the car. Their answers made me even more angry. They basically told me that all malfunctions have been repaired within the warranty period. Therefore, they are not responsible for any losses caused to customers due to poor car quality.

Is it too demanding for problem free when buying a new car? Can I claim VW NZ to provide any compensation because them sold me a defective car?

mark2 golf

No They fixed it under warranty. What more can you ask for. If your not happy sell it and but something else.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

80 Vert

Compensation for what? Everything was fixed at no cost to you.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Pristle

How much left on your warranty? I'd be shopping now.

superfueler

Current: 2010 Audi A4 2.7 TDI silver, 2007 Audi A4 2.0T DTM sprint blue, 2007 VW Golf V 2.0 TDI BKD 4motion manual white.
Past: 2004 Golf R32 black pearlescent, 2009 Audi S3 white, 2004 Audi A4 B6 1.8T blue, 99 Golf mk4 GTI black, 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T black.

RS

Quote from: HugoGC on March 11, 2021, 05:47:43 PM
A few weeks ago, my VW Tiguan broke down in the car park of Countdown supermarket. I called the Roadside Assist and told them about my situation. The technician told me that my car must be towed back to the garage for repair. You might think that my above experience is nothing special. But what is shocking is that this is the sixth time my car needs repairs in the past four years. My car was latest model at 2016, Which only travelled 22K now. The car was really good at first. But from the middle of the first year, problem started. The faults are rear windscreen wiper, a key, reversing camera, car computer, rear LED light and engine malfunction. Fortunately, all repair costs are covered by 5-year warranty (I paid the cost of last two year extension). But now, I am worrying about what will happen in the 6th and 7th year after the five-year warranty expires.

I complained to Volkswagen New Zealand about the quality and reliability of the car. Their answers made me even more angry. They basically told me that all malfunctions have been repaired within the warranty period. Therefore, they are not responsible for any losses caused to customers due to poor car quality.

Is it too demanding for problem free when buying a new car? Can I claim VW NZ to provide any compensation because them sold me a defective car?

That is frustrating. I drove a new Tiguan R in 2015 and it was fantastic, dynamically milles ahead of the competition at the time and had awesome parking camera's, it was a tempting proposition for sure. But I spoke with one of the technicians at the dealership and over a beer he discouraged me from buying one. To be fair they hate most cars they work on.

We settled on a Ford Kuga Titainium that had all the features of the Tiguan but looked funny and had an embarrassing name. Has had one fault in 100k / 5 years and is about to be traded.

In that time we have also had two other new Fords, a Transit that blew up just out of warranty and a Ranger that was made of tin foil and portaloo parts that feel apart as soon as the going got "built ford tuff" so I am in no way loyal to a brand, but it did teach me every brand has its lemons.... Could be that Ford build cars in different factories for different markets.

I don't know where I am going with this.

If someone can show me a car with both Personality and Reliability I am all ears.

It's easy to say buy a Toyota but its not compelling when you want something interesting.

Pristle

Caught this tale of woe on the HumbleMechanic Youtube feed, The Jalopnik Tiguan FAILED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRAcxGdkcZU

spooln

Wow. We have a 2011 one and is been everywhere from hunting and ski access roads, to city dropoff and carpark buildings. Its towed boats and trailers etc and never blinked once.
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

RS ZWEI

Quote from: HugoGC on March 11, 2021, 05:47:43 PM

Has the car ever been in an accident?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

beeker

If you have a lemon which constantly breaks down you can demand a refund under Nz consumer law. There is plenty of precedent for 2 or more year old cars getting full refunds. As I understand it.
14 RS6 Avant Black
23 RS6 Performance avant on order
17 Q7 S Line 200kw
93 E36 M3 Targa Car
01 Porsche Boxster Series Race Car
17 Porsche 991.2 GT3 clubsport
94 DC2 Integra Targa/Track Race Car
13 TR86 race car
2018 Highlander
2017 Outback