Sifty's MK1 GTI...

Started by sifty, September 06, 2011, 07:49:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sifty

The new engine is coming along.

Finally I have the head bolted on with ARP studs and a steel head gasket to lower compression.
Next up mock fitting turbo and drilling and tapping an oil return into the block.

sifty

Wow... 2 years since my last post and it still isn't in!  ::)

I have made progress though. The brakes are upgraded, gearbox & LSD built, engine built...
Next up is getting a WOF, then pulling the stock motor and box and then missioning until it's in.

slowburn

rome wasn't built in a day
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

bugn8r

Looks like I need a drive out to yours so I can take a ride in it before the new motor goes in - need a before/after!

sifty

Quote from: bugn8r on October 13, 2019, 08:45:32 PM
Looks like I need a drive out to yours so I can take a ride in it before the new motor goes in - need a before/after!

Yeah man. Do that.
I'm planning to take it for a WoF this week sometime.

bugn8r

In time for Spring Jambo then! Assuming the car won't be turbo by then sadly but next one?

Spring Jambo for me = coilover time + add a sticker or three

sifty

Right, I might leave the engine in until after Jambo then. There is a bunch of fiddly stuff and fabrication to do after the engine & box are in, so it's going to take months at least.

dave

Pristle

C'mon teaser......where are the rest of the pics?

sifty

Oh man... I've missed a lot of updates.

Some of those:
- Turbo oil drain tapped into block
- built blanking plate for crank case vent so the WUR can mount in the stock location.
- Ported out intake manifold to take bigger Audi throttle body
- Upgraded all the brakes to bigger Audi 80 spec, with EBC discs and pads.
- ground out inlet manifold to clear turbo manifold
- mounted MSD Boost Retard unit
- recut Porsche 930 turbo injector seats to fit the Mk1 head and take 930 injectors.
- upgraded oil cooler
- pulled old engine and box.
- mounted up heavy duty clutch & lightened flywheel.
- bolted up rebuilt gearbox with LSD to engine.

That's about were we are now. Getting ready to put this motor in and then deal to all the plumbing.

80 Vert

A little tiny update on this, Simon has tasked me with some of the fab and plumbing work to get this under way again.
Soon as I looked at the turbo I thought it looked pretty tired so I gave it to Steve Murch, I wasn't wrong.
In dire need of a refresh but it is a completely OG 70's Rotomaster, all surfaces re machined, new bearings, seals and re set the clearances on the exhaust wheel to exhaust housing due to heavy scaling and rust.
Clearance to the firewall and steering shaft is non existent so some creative solutions are called for there, this kit of course was designed for LHD.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

dave

Why don?t you shift the engine and gearbox forward 20mm to gain some firewall clearance?

dave

Tbh I reckon it?s a shame the colour got
Changed. Ruins the  originality of the car. >:D

80 Vert

Quote from: dave on April 08, 2021, 06:18:48 PM
Why don?t you shift the engine and gearbox forward 20mm to gain some firewall clearance?

Did that already  ;D Problem solved
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration