Fuel type for MK7 Golf

Started by nikhilg12, April 22, 2021, 10:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikhilg12

So I have a 2013 MK7 Golf TSI and on the petrol cap lid it says "96 RON". Now this car is a Japanese import and in Japan they usually have higher rating of fuels used.

Would it hurt for me to use 95RON instead of 98? Cost wise 95 is obviously cheaper in parts of Auckland. Currently using BP 98 just to ensure i dont run into any engine issues.

Please offer me your advice on this? Which fuel do you guys for your Golf?
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

brian

If it is anything like my car the cap says MIN 95 meaning you can use that if nothing higher is available( in an emergency) and the handbook would bear that out.
I'd be running on 98
Pricewise, check Gaspy as my local Mobil station is always cheaper than BP.
Gull is cheaper still but is ethanol mix, so Mobil 98 for me
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

the phantom

I ran my MK5 GTI on Gull 98 most of the time, did the job
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

nikhilg12

Quote from: the phantom on April 22, 2021, 11:33:51 AM
I ran my MK5 GTI on Gull 98 most of the time, did the job

I havent heard good things about Gull98 as its not pure 98, mixed with ethanol, so i have not used it yet. Do you notice any changes in fuel consumption with Gull 98 and other 98s?
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

the phantom

Quote from: nikhilg12 on April 22, 2021, 01:27:34 PM
I havent heard good things about Gull98 as its not pure 98, mixed with ethanol, so i have not used it yet. Do you notice any changes in fuel consumption with Gull 98 and other 98s?

there are no corrosion issues with using ethanol mix in modern cars, with petrol, water tends to accumulate in the tank, but ethanol cleans that out

I've never bothered about recording mileage, but totally on a seat of the pants level, my cars have run better on Gull, with a stiff dogbone mount in the Mk4, the idle is appreciably smoother on Gull
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

nikhilg12

Quote from: the phantom on April 22, 2021, 01:50:31 PM
there are no corrosion issues with using ethanol mix in modern cars, with petrol, water tends to accumulate in the tank, but ethanol cleans that out

I've never bothered about recording mileage, but totally on a seat of the pants level, my cars have run better on Gull, with a stiff dogbone mount in the Mk4, the idle is appreciably smoother on Gull

Cool I think I will give the Gull98 a go next time I need to top up and see how my car likes it. Have used Z 95 initially and it was horrible, the car drank through the fuel like how I would drink beer on a scorching hot summers day! BP98 seems to last a little longer and performs a bit better. Also depends on how I drive, which is mostly like a nana, unless its open countryside roads :)
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

nikhilg12

Quote from: brian on April 22, 2021, 10:42:34 AM
If it is anything like my car the cap says MIN 95 meaning you can use that if nothing higher is available( in an emergency) and the handbook would bear that out.
I'd be running on 98
Pricewise, check Gaspy as my local Mobil station is always cheaper than BP.
Gull is cheaper still but is ethanol mix, so Mobil for me

But the cap says 96RON so 95 is below the required fuel type  :-\

I have used Z 95 initially and it was horrible! Drank through the fuel like a V8 engine would.
2013 MK7 Golf 1.4 TSI

albert7550

95 and 96 are probably just market specific and should not make a real difference, as all NZ VWs are fine on 95. Would definitely not use 91 though. I use Gull 98 as I refuse to pay BP or Mobil 30-40c premium for 95 over 91, as the cost difference is apparently only 5c. Hopefully the new regulations that you have to show the price of premium on the signage will drive this difference down. I read on the Audi NZ website somewhere that Biofuel (Gull 98) with ethanol is safe to use, so should be the same for VW.
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S

breakfastdude

Quote from: nikhilg12 on April 22, 2021, 01:27:34 PM
My mk5 gti uses a tad more on Gull 98: around 7.5L/100km vs 7.1L/100km on Mobil/BP 98s (80km roundtrip commute everyday). It's simply the nature of the beast, as ethanol blends have less energy per volume which means the car would need more fuel to do the same work.

jj44

I'm screwed then as I've been feeding my 1.4 TSI with 95.
2013 Mk7 Golf 1.4 TSI Highline

brian

I've now switched to NPD 100 which is actually cheaper than BP or Mobil 98
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

LouieP

Quote from: brian on August 26, 2021, 02:08:40 PM
I've now switched to NPD 100 which is actually cheaper than BP or Mobil 98
Each cars appear to react differently to NPD100. I was running my Mk7 GTI on Mobil for about a year, switched to gull 98 for about another year (car loved both of them) then i tried out NPD100. Car felt relatively quicker on its first tank but by its third car felt rough, sluggish and occasionally misfired. Ran it till it said 5km's range and went back to BP98. Cars been running fine ever since. Keep in mind NPD100 is 95 with a crap load of additives and most of the time its not 100 octane. Gull is e10 and most petrol in germany is e10. These cars were made to run on ethanol based petrol
NZ New MK3 Golf VR6 3 Door